Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice on a few vintage gibsons.

Default Seeking advice on a few vintage gibsons.

I am looking for a gibson mandolin to play. The cannot go without binding on the neck. I prefer the way it feels when I play.

I am looking at the following listings:

This A2
    https://reverb.com/item/3230831-gibson-a2-1919-brown

And this A1 pumpkin top
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Mando...item33cddbe080

(I feel like this may be a fake with the headstock logo)

This A1 M style?
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gib...me-Mandolin.gc

I don't mind throwing a little more money into the instrument. Which of these do you feel has the best value? Or do you see any better deal around? THANK YOU!

Default Re: Seeking advice on a few vintage gibsons.

I wouldn't touch the one at Guitar Center as they don't have a great rep for either describing instrument condition accurately or packing instruments well for shipping. The A2 is described as having a sinkage near the bridge, personally I'd pass on that one but other folks may not be put off by it. I see the A1 is local pick up or seller will meet up only, so assuming you're living in the same area as them?
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

It says they will ship or do free local pickup. Also the headstock logo makes it look suspicious. It doesn't look period accurate to me.

Blog Entries

I'd look into some of the 30's-40's F-hole Gibson A-50's, pretty good bang for the buck and can be had for around the same price as the ones you listed and some cheaper. a lot out there! Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Macabre View Post
    It says they will ship or do free local pickup. Also the headstock logo makes it look suspicious. It doesn't look period accurate to me.
    It looks period correct for one that was refinished by Gibson in the 60's. It sure as heck didn't come with that headstock logo when it left the factory the first time.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

The one at Guitar Center has Japanese replacement tuners on it.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

The one on Reverb looks like it has a cracked neck.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Dang Mike really good eye! Are there any deals you see that you would point me towards? In a similar price range. I never see A-9's anymore but I would have loved to grab one of those.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Macabre View Post
    I never see A-9's anymore but I would have loved to grab one of those.
    Carter Vintage has one: https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/113977#113977
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Macabre, a couple of questions come to mind for me,
    1-What are you playing now?
    2-What kind of music are you playing?
    The things you've shown are pretty wide on sound qualities.
    The A-12 has some binding issues, I'd probably stay away from that one but, that's personal preference.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I'm not currently playing anything but I was playing an A50 but I had to selll it when i fell into some hard times.

I'd like to play more folk style music.

I keep reading horrible things about the A12. I'll be heeding your advice.

There's a nice A4 in the classifieds for $1600, been there a month, seller may come down a little on price:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/112946#112946

After my disappointment with a blacktop A1 snakehead at Guitar Center, I'd take a second look at this one on eBay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1920s-A1-Sna...IAAOSw0fFZf8y7

Below market value, doesn't have pickguard but looks OK otherwise. This one is 30-40 mi. from my domicile and if I were seriously jonesing for another snakehead for myself, I'd at least go look at it.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I'd also keep your eyes peeled for an A-jr, great bang for your buck! I had lovely one for about a year but the flat fretboard didn't agree with me so I sold it to get my MTO. Still miss the sound of that thing though, it was a beaut!!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

There are some pearls in the classifieds right now. Both round and ff holes, depending on the sound you want, there are lots of options.
    Take your time, find what you want. The time in the search will be short compared to the enjoyment you will get from finding "the right one"!
    Timothy F. Lewis

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timbofood For This Useful Post:

There is a thing called the "ham sandwich" here at the cafe, but I'm going to chance it. Mike Black makes A4 and A2Z mandolin and is very faithful to the techniques and esthetic of vintage Gibson mandolins. They sound great consistently, which cannot be said of the old Gibsons. Add warranty for the lifetime of the maker. He's young. None of the troubles of a 90 year old instrument. So, that's not what you asked. I give you the ham sandwich, for what its worth. Website mikeblackmandolins.com Used ones available sporadically on the classifieds. Order new to your specs.

My bias is that I own #27, an A4 one piece back, loud or tasteful depends on your drive style. Clean build, excellent playabilitity.

Franzke in KC also has his A5s under the Hawthorn label.
    Mike Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Snyder View Post
    There is a thing called the "ham sandwich" here at the cafe,...
    As the instigator of the term, I find Mike S guilty!

But as pointed out, there are alternative oval-hole, A-model mandolins that don't say "Gibson." Gibson A's from the early 20th century are great mandolins, and you can still find them for decent prices, but unless you're fixated on the logo, no harm in looking at other current builders.

I wouldn't buy any of the mandolins you listed, for the reasons pointed out by other posters. Bernunzio here in Rochester has four oval-hole Gibson A's, ranging from $1.4K to $2.5K. You can find comparable mandolins at other dealers. There are a lot of them out there; I'd recommend either the Cafe classifieds, or a dealer with a good reputation for accurately describing condition.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Mike Black does make some neat stuff, I think his was an A model video comparison a while back on one with virzi the other non virzi?
    I'd stay away from those 2 60's Gibsons you shown and go older, 30's-40's A-50's are great as are the A-1's of the period all have good pedigree F-holes and the red spruce top, maple back and sides, but the older oval holes aren't bad either but a lot command higher prices..Happy hunting.

I just checked and Carters has a newish A-9 Gibson for 1250, thats a deal I think thats a cheaper version of an A5-L so that one will have the power, long 5 scale-now thats bang for the buck! I think I'd go for that one, nice wood on it, with modern playability,thats a package!

Black does virzis, GBOMs, piccolos, A4s, and A5s. Top notch picker and good guy. He keeps my A4 running lean and clean. His every day player is an awesome F5, but he won't build them, just the one...................so far. Actually, I dread him building an F4. My resistance is weak.
    Mike Snyder

Blog Entries

Black does virzis, GBOMs, piccolos, A4s, and A5s. Top notch picker and good guy. He keeps my A4 running lean and clean. His every day player is an awesome F5, but he won't build them, just the one...................so far. Actually, I dread him building an F4. My resistance is weak.
    It was the black virzi comparison I watched than-Way Kool. He does make some fine horns Mike! Does he build his A and F ovals with an Elevated board like Gibson should've done in the 20's? I hear ya so many mandolins so little $ but where there is a will there is a way to give in to the resistance my friend! I have to ask are you the Opry picker that has your same name? What year is your F5-G that you talk about? I had an 01 that I bought originally but swapped off in pry 05, I've been looking for it for years but last I heard it went to Europe, maybe France I want to say-Bummer

I'm not famous, still have my hair, and do not have a wife named "Sweety". Mike Snider is a heck of a picker. I was jamming in Basin Park in Eureka Springs one evening when Mike Snider walked up to listen. I shook his hand and said; "I'm Mike Snyder", he said; "So am I!" Nice guy, really down-to-earth. Black swears he will build no F-style mandolins. The oval-hole instruments have the fretboard down on the top like the old Gibsons. They are very, very close to replica grade. I play mine in ITM sessions with multiple fiddles, concertina, bodrhan, whistles and guitars and I can always make myself heard. Lots of headroom. I use a Blue Chip 80 and d'Addario flat wound strings. It has an excellent voice.
    My F5G is an '05, we'll played in, classic Gibson sound, and loud. I hope I never have to choose between the two mandolins. The only thing the Black does not excell at is the chop, and it never was intended to do that. I cross genres with those two frequently. Jazz, contradance, bluegrass, rock, klezmer, folk, singer/songwriter, and my true love, old-time. I play a bunch of old-time on tenor banjo, also, and just started learning clawhammer with a brand-new Recording King 5-string. Now I need a wheelbarrow to haul all this stuff around the festival grounds. Keeps me out of pool halls.
    Mike Snyder

27. The following members say thank you to Mike Snyder for this post:

JimY 

Blog Entries

I'm not famous, still have my hair, and do not have a wife named "Sweety". Mike Snider is a heck of a picker. I was jamming in Basin Park in Eureka Springs one evening when Mike Snider walked up to listen. I shook his hand and said; "I'm Mike Snyder", he said; "So am I!" Nice guy, really down-to-earth. Black swears he will build no F-style mandolins. The oval-hole instruments have the fretboard down on the top like the old Gibsons. They are very, very close to replica grade. I play mine in ITM sessions with multiple fiddles, concertina, bodrhan, whistles and guitars and I can always make myself heard. Lots of headroom. I use a Blue Chip 80 and d'Addario flat wound strings. It has an excellent voice.
    My F5G is an '05, we'll played in, classic Gibson sound, and loud. I hope I never have to choose between the two mandolins. The only thing the Black does not excell at is the chop, and it never was intended to do that. I cross genres with those two frequently. Jazz, contradance, bluegrass, rock, klezmer, folk, singer/songwriter, and my true love, old-time. I play a bunch of old-time on tenor banjo, also, and just started learning clawhammer with a brand-new Recording King 5-string. Now I need a wheelbarrow to haul all this stuff around the festival grounds. Keeps me out of pool halls.
    Alright ya cleared up the name thing Nice sounds like ya have some good toys, I miss my F5-G them were pretty good years for those Gibsons. I had an 04 V-fern that was pretty good as well but off it went, I like swapping to get what I really want.
    I hear ya pool halls/bars will get ya nothin but trouble "sometimes" seems fun at the time but in that run ya deal with potential jerks and beer aint cheap in those joints unless your band has a deal with the house. In my old band we played many bars, they loved us so we got paid and all the beer we could ever want. But festivals are a way better atmosphere for sure and it aint to bad if ya just stick with a little mandolin to haul around

Allen, what the heck is a "Ham Sandwich"!?
    I agree about the inventory at Bernunzio, they have a pretty nice selection right now.
    Timothy F. Lewis

Tim, instead of asking Allen what a ham sandwich is you should ask him if he wants a cheeseburger.

By the way, that was a ham sandwich.

Allen's excellent contribution to Cafe lore came in response to the habit we have of answering questions with suggestions other than what the original question was. For example, a poster says "I'm looking for a Gibson F5G. Does anyone know who has them in stock?"

The first answer is "I have a Collings, you should get one instead."

You might as well tell the OP to get a ham sandwich because you didn't answer the question.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Allen, what the heck is a "Ham Sandwich"!?...
    Mike pretty well summed it up. I was amused by the number of times someone would start a thread asking about a particular make and model of mandolin, and half-a-dozen posters would chime in that what he really should be looking at was another make and model altogether.

I likened it to someone saying, "How's the ham sandwich at the Mando Deli?" and getting the answer, "You should really get the corned beef on rye," "No, the tuna melt," "What are you, nuts? Get the Reuben!" etc., etc.

IMHO, the first order of business should be to address the question that's being asked: in this case, what about the three Gibson oval-holes, or can you suggest a "better deal" (on an oval-hole Gibson)? Once that's done, then start mentioning Mike Black's presumably excellent mandolins, the f-hole A-50, and miscellaneous whatever.

I wear with pride the responsibility for starting "ham sandwich" (Is that a meme? Whatthehell is a meme?), as well as singing the praises of the Shmergel Devastator, the ultimate in rare mandolins. Boys, I've left my mark here; mebbe time to move on...?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

33. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post: