Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange Museum Find - WWI Helmet-Mandolin

Mick Sullivan The Past and The Curious's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Strange Museum Find - WWI Helmet-Mandolin

Hello gang, in addition to podcasting about history and music for families, I also work as an educator at The Frazier History Museum in Louisville, KY. Yesterday our curator called me and told me I needed to come down and check something out. He's working on a WWI exhibit for September and one of the exhibit features is to focus on trench-art, which is quite fascinating on its own.

Well, what he had was this trench-art mandolin made by an American soldier while stationed in Europe. What's crazy is it's almost all military related materials. The body is a helmet the soldier repurposed. The tailpiece is a German belt buckle. The fret markers are primer caps from ammo rounds and the nut is a spent slug.

An awesome and one-of-a-kind piece of history. Thought y'all might like to see it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Aug 08, 4 55 24 PM.jpg 
Views:	524 
Size:	610.7 KB 
ID:	159923Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Aug 08, 4 55 29 PM.jpg 
Views:	535 
Size:	417.3 KB 
ID:	159924Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Aug 08, 4 55 33 PM.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	625.5 KB 
ID:	159925Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Aug 08, 4 55 39 PM.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	159926Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Aug 08, 4 55 46 PM.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	159927
    Check out The Past and The Curious, a fun podcast for families, kids and adults who enjoy exploring the past. In addition to tales from the past, there's always an original musical performance. I play mando, guitar, and banjo and am occasionally joined by some great musicians. It's pretty good.
    On Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spoke, Soundcloud and more.

2. The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to The Past and The Curious For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Strange Museum Find - WWI Helmet-Mandolin

Looks good but how does it sound. Be hard to put a tone guard on that bad boy.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

A tiny cry for sanity from within hell, it appears. If it was done in the trenches, building this thing back then made more vital sense to the builder than playing it could make to any player today. OTOH, if it was done in the trenches, where did the top come from? What happened to the previous users of all those parts?

The German belt buckle says "God with us", a bitter greeting from a time where people pretended to fight on a side they hadn't asked for permission first.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

That's pretty cool.

How is the neck attached?

Thanks for sharing!
    Despite the high cost of living, it still remains popular...

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

where's the thread for circular mandolins? A winning candidate for sure!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

8. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

JimY 

Blog Entries

Pretty Kool. One can pick a tune then use at as a weapon!

I wonder where he got the tuners? The helmet doesn`t look German, more like an American one that was used in WW-I...It would have been easy to get a belt buckle off of a dead soldier and the parts from bullets for the nut and position markers...But it is very interesting, I also would like to know how the fingerboard is attached or is just made for looking at like hanging on a wall?

Willie

an army/navy mandolin!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jim simpson For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Interesting to note, there are 8 tuner posts, but the nut, bridge and maybe the tailpiece are setup for 4 strings.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

I like the center fire fret markers.

15. The following members say thank you to F-2 Dave for this post:

sonic 

Very cool.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    I wonder where he got the tuners? The helmet doesn`t look German, more like an American one that was used in WW-I..

Willie
    Looks like a British army helmet. I'm not sure what Americans were wearing 100 years ago.

Mick Sullivan The Past and The Curious's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It did't even register to pay attention to the neck joint, i was so excited by the unusual nature of the mandolin. That's a great question. I'll have a look next time I can bug him to let me in to the storage space. The helmet and cartridge parts appeared to be American to him, the latter was specifically identifiable as from 1917.

The tuners were obviously taken off of another mandolin. If I learn more, I'll report back!

Also: the army/navy quip was tops. Wish I would've thought of that.
    Check out The Past and The Curious, a fun podcast for families, kids and adults who enjoy exploring the past. In addition to tales from the past, there's always an original musical performance. I play mando, guitar, and banjo and am occasionally joined by some great musicians. It's pretty good.
    On Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spoke, Soundcloud and more.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Past and The Curious For This Useful Post:

Just want to say thanks for the heads up on this podcast. I just subscribed and can hardly wait to start listening.

21. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Thanks from me, too, for this find. I agree with Bertram that this could have been a cry for sanity, however, up until the 4th quarter of the 20th century many military personnel never actually saw combat, so this could well have been made behind the lines in relative comfort. The helmet type was used, I believe, by both British and American troops in WWI, however, the belt buckle is interesting. My father, a WWII combat veteran, had a very similar German buckle with the same slogan but the Imperial crown had been replaced by the Nazi eagle and swastika.

Quote Originally Posted by tonydxn View Post
    Looks like a British army helmet. I'm not sure what Americans were wearing 100 years ago.
    American soldiers in WWI wore helmets like the one converted to a mandolin; basic British design, which we still kept up until early WWII.

"Trench art" was a very robust genre during WWI, as soldiers confined to trenches for months at a time would use their "down time" to make art objects out of shell casings, uniform parts, and other military equipment. Following shows like American Pickers, you can see some very elaborate and artistic creations. This mandolin sure qualifies as one of the most unusual I've seen, but there were sculptures, embroideries, various knick-knacks and utensils made from repurposed military gear.

Here's a Wiki article on the subject. One of the things I gleaned from it, is the sheer volume of discarded material produced in battle. This was compounded by the static nature of Western Front trench warfare, where battle lines hardly moved for months at a time, and all the war debris piled up in concentrated areas.

One can wonder if the Allied helmet made into a mandolin, came from a dead British or American soldier, or whether it was just left behind on a battlefield, or in a damp, stinking trench, to be turned into a device to make music -- to amuse other soldiers, perhaps alleviate the boredom, anxiety and distress of the truly vicious, prolonged stalemate. We won't ever know...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Very cool piece of history! Thanks for posting!!
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    I wonder where he got the tuners? The helmet doesn`t look German, more like an American one that was used in WW-I...It would have been easy to get a belt buckle off of a dead soldier and the parts from bullets for the nut and position markers...But it is very interesting, I also would like to know how the fingerboard is attached or is just made for looking at like hanging on a wall?

Willie
    The helmet also looks British?
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

Blog Entries

Brodie, designed by John Leopold Brodie (had to look this bit up > 1873-1945 & found out he was Leopold Janno Braude, born in Riga Latvia)
    Designed when he was in London & used by British, also used by dozens of countries, the US model was officially the M1917.
    Made to offer protection from shrapnel and falling debris. Weighs about 1lb 5oz

(Far too much time playing war games with Airfix kits as a kid)
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Blog Entries

My mother and father in law are French and live in Picardie, an area that was on the front lines through much of the Great War.

[If you're interested in a particularly interesting and utterly harrowing story of the Great War, have a look here: http://uk.france.fr/en/discover/cave...n-dames-museum ]

Seems every household I have entered in the area has at least one re-purposed piece of war materiel turn into art. It's usually shell casings that have been creatively bent and carved or engraved. Some of them are amazing.

I have never seen an improvised mandolin! But I can imagine that in battle, by accident, or under obscene atmospheric conditions for a musical instrument, a cherished mandolin ceases to be functional. A improvised replacement is made from an extra helmet, bits of the original mandolin, and some re-purposed metal artifacts.

I love that the top has been crimped into place. And I bet that the neck is a bolt-on of some kind. Though it's also possible that the luthier (perhaps an honorary title) used a modified banjo type of construction.

Most of all, I wonder what it sounds like!

Thanks for sharing it!
    Daniel

29. The following members say thank you to Daniel Nestlerode for this post:

JimY 

I'm amazed someone in a war zone could craft something like that. Just imagine what he might have been able to create if he had a fully equipped luthier shop.

Then again, some folks perform better under pressure. Kinda hard to imagine more pressure than someone shooting and launching mustard gas at you.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Thanks for posting this.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Bob View Post
    I'm amazed someone in a war zone could craft something like that. Just imagine what he might have been able to create if he had a fully equipped luthier shop.

Then again, some folks perform better under pressure. Kinda hard to imagine more pressure than someone shooting and launching mustard gas at you.
    Like Alan said, we don't know that this was crafted in the trenches (unless there's some documentation I haven't seen). There was a big souvenir industry for art made out of war detritus. Still cool!

Quote Originally Posted by SincereCorgi View Post
    Like Alan said, we don't know that this was crafted in the trenches (unless there's some documentation I haven't seen). There was a big souvenir industry for art made out of war detritus. Still cool!
    Yeah, I know, but it's more fun to imagine it being made by some poor guy who had been in a trench for three months and was going crazy.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Bob View Post
    Yeah, I know, but it's more fun to imagine it being made by some poor guy who had been in a trench for three months and was going crazy.
    This fun is not for faint-hearted. Those people don't look like first rate luthiers.

the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post: