Thread: Does Anyone Have Info on This Mandolin?

Default Does Anyone Have Info on This Mandolin?

I have a mandolin that was passed down from a great grandmother, so a late eighteen hundreds to early nineteen hundreds, as the story goes. I found a similar one posted on the forum, that was a link to it being sold- the link is now unavailable. Wondering if anyone has information? Pictures attached.

The writing that is now long gone from the inside had information that is also on the neck. It reads: 'Up-To-Date Method: US Letter Patent. No 656 917. August 28, 1900. W. Wight. Cleveland O.'

On the back end of the tail piece, they're a few letters too difficult to read (I think it is 'Pat'D', but what is legible is 'OCT' followed by two numbers, either '18' or '19.'

I'm assuming (Cleveland, Ohio). I couldn't find any information on the mentioned 'Up-To-Date' nor 'W. Wight.' Can somebody give any information on anything involving these names or numbers? I appreciate it, thank you.

*Accidently double posted, as I forgot to add attachments, sorry! Don't know how to remove the first if possible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170808_230727.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	349.8 KB 
ID:	159873   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170808_231043.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	159874   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170808_231158.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	355.1 KB 
ID:	159875  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170808_231243.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	288.6 KB 
ID:	159876   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170808_231256.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	218.2 KB 
ID:	159877  

Default Re: Does Anyone Have Info on This Mandolin?

The Wight patent has to do with the guide attached to the neck and probably has nothing to do with the manufacturer.

http://www.google.com.pg/patents/US656917

The instrument is student grade instrument. The number of staves on the back would number higher, probably in the forties if it was a more expensive model. The "decoration" in the middle of the pickguard is actually an identifier of the brand. I recognize it but can't immediately place it. That patent date on the tailpiece would place it after 1918 or 1919 assuming that is what it says. I would put it between 1900 and 1920 even with out it. One of resident bowlback experts will chime in with a brand name maybe even a catalog page.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Interesting 3 strings per course. I think that makes it an Oscar Schmidt like this one:
    https://www.elderly.com/oscar-schmid...lin-1910-s.htm
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dscf3294_2.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	159895
    Different tailpiece, but otherwise similar
    $200 in good condition from Elderly.
    However, as far as I know, the Oscar Schmidt pickguard had a OS in the center, this one does not. I'm guessing that it was made by Oscar Schmidt and sold under a different name.
    Yours has fewer staves and is in poorer condition, so I would put a monetary value of somewhere near $100. Quite valuable to your family as an heirloom, I'd suspect.

Last edited by colorado_al; Aug-09-2017 at 2:19pm.

The first thing I thought of was Schmidt and they might have built it for a music teacher or retailer to sell as their own. I've seen that logo, I can't find it. The OS is very clear.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

A great thank you to you both! I'm wondering if it happened to be made for a music teacher- my great grandmother was involved in plays and theatre during the early 1900's. It's an heirloom so the value isn't much of a concern but it's interesting knowledge! If you can think of anything else to add, please do, but I thank you for the information already provided.

A twelve-string mandolin is often called a "mandriola," with four courses of three strings each. The strings in each course are usually tuned in unison, but sometimes the middle string of each course is heavier, and tuned an octave below the other strings.

Tuning issues, the stress on the instrument from the additional stringing. and the greater effort needed to fret three strings, rather than two, have kept the mandriola from general popularity. Oscar Schmidt did build quite a few of them, possibly including yours. The general appearance of yours does suggest Schmidt, but the inlaid initials in the pickguard are not the "OS" that Schmidt put on some of their instruments.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM