Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Distressed Instruments

Default Distressed Instruments

I will admit I have a general dislike for "distressed" instruments, which I associate with 1990s bluejeans marketing. I think of Richard Marx. Perhaps unfairly.

But the new "Streetmaster" Martins really bug me. In a different league. What is Martin aiming at? Am I just being an old grump?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00015m_streetmaster_f.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	159865

Sorry for the lack of mando content, by the way.

Default Re: Distressed Instruments

I agree. I don't much care for that look.

Yeah, I agree. There is one distressed mando I really like though...the Weber Diamonback, otherwise I agree.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	web.png 
Views:	297 
Size:	467.5 KB 
ID:	159869
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

Yes you are being an old grump but the world needs us old grumps. I want my new instrument to look new. I'll distress it my self thank you very much.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

My father and brother both sold antiques. My brother also did refinishing and learned in one of the top antiques repair shops in the country. Having spent a lot of time with him, he taught me a lot about faking antiques and what to look for. Much of what he warned me about can be seen in "distressing" done by a major manufacturer. Some I have seen have been well done. Some look amateurish at best. I had a RSDMM that had some of both. Some aspects looked like 80 year wear. Some looked simply "faked". I would love to show my brother some of the "distressed" instruments. My guess is he would laugh. In a few instruments, I have seen some very good work. One I saw recently from a Cafe picture, actually looked like an old instrument that has been played. Most simply look what my father would call "jerked around". That guitar fits that category.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

The Pre-War guitars in the FJ videos sound great. Look real, too. That's fine, though it's still not my thing. But I don't understand what would cause wear like the Martins'.

Yeah, I understand not liking the look of some of these. I suppose, strictly as a player, it is generally nonsensical.

OTOH "distressing" has a long history in violin-making and there are some folks that consider perfectly copying an old valuable violin down to the atomic level with all the bangs and wear to be the pinnacle of luthier's art.

To each his or her own, of course. I, too, prefer either old, playing worn vintage instruments or else beautifually crafted new ones that I can distress on my own.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

9. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

derbex 

I don't dislike the looks of those nearly as much as I dislike their new 17 series finishes, especially that ugly "whiskey sunburst".
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I used to think if it sounds good looks don't matter until I had to put my money where my mouth was. I had $2600 in my pocket and was sure I was going to buy this (used) but purposely built distressed mando. I played it and sound was good but I couldn't get over the beat up look I mean this mando was dented, dinged & scratched like it fell off the back of truck. I kept playing it, looking at it, playing it, looking at it for 2hrs trying to get over the look and could not bring myself to spend that much money on something that beat up. I get the look but it's not for me.
    Lou

12. The following members say thank you to Loubrava for this post:

Collings does an aged finish on their electrics. At first I poo-pooed the idea, and then I saw one up close. It's so subtle, and looks so natural.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by 9lbShellhamer View Post
    Yeah, I agree. There is one distressed mando I really like though...the Weber Diamonback, otherwise I agree.

Name:	web.png 
Views:	297 
Size:	467.5 KB 
ID:	159869

I think the Diamond back is very well done. If I had the cash ola, well, I would own one.
    They are made to look nicely worn from honest use, not thrown out the back of a PU truck.
    May those who love us, love us. And those who don't love us, May God turn their hearts;
    And if He doesn't turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles, So we will know them by their limping.

The "Streetmaster" Martin is hideous, conceived and executed by the clueless. To add, I'll agree that Martin's "whiskey" finish is at best, comical.. and a deterrent to purchase.

My top of the list bad "antique" finish is Eastman. Looks like a Jr High School wood working project gone bad.

My Silverangel is one of the lessor distressed ones, but it does have aged and cracked binding, some bumps and bruises, and finish sunken into the grain. Really a masterful aging effect. You either get them or you don't. A bad relic is pretty horrible though.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

17. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Blog Entries

I like some distressed instruments, mainly the mandolins though if they're done up nice, Like the stuff Vessel just did with that Loar clone! Even the DMModels that Gibson does look fine to me and sound the part. As long as something sounds good/great I don't care what it looks like. Love the look of those silver angels also-the ones with carving and the back paintings! They got it going on! Never cared for pristine instruments anyway, ya play em they get wear and tear unless you just want to look at em in the case! But that Martin posted above is for sure hideous. They should be able to do better than that!

I do like some 'distressed' instruments - look at the thread re. Gary Vessel's latest offering = awesome !!!. That Martin looks more like ''faded in patches'' rather than distressed. However,i'm sure that it will appeal to some folks,just not me,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

can you play?

How do you look?

There's a fashion element to our instruments. Vein as it is. . .

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Whatever floats your boat. There must be money involved or they wouldn't be making these things.

Well, I'm not buying one. Honest wear for me!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I like the look of the Gibson DMM, it's the price that has kept me from buying one.

No way I'd buy that Martin though, it's just not for me. But maybe there is a niche market for them, time will tell. Either way, I really don't care what other people buy.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

It's gotten worse in electric guitars. They basically make a sticker that goes over the whole guitar, that makes it look beat up.
    I had a pretty good violin, performance-wise. I had to trade it. Every time I looked at it, it said "imposter" or "poser."
    I know it's all between my ears, but if that ain't settled, it ain't settled.

BTW - "You kids get off my lawn!"

25. The following members say thank you to farmerjones for this post:

Blog Entries

People want a certain look on stage, I guess. I won't begrudge anyone. When I first got into mandolins, I really, REALLY loved an electric blue Marcus Martini F style for like $300... never got it.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

One advantage of a distressed instrument is that it saves you the angst of worrying about that first scratch or ding on a new, pristine instrument.
    I'm with the gang that would rather distress the instrument by playing the heck out of it. If I was buying a used instrument that had some good honest wear and tear, that would be OK. OTOH, if the instrument was too distressed, I'd probably pass on it no matter how good an instrument it was. OK,maybe if the price was super fantastic I'd buy it with an eye towards <gasp>refinishing it. But that's just me.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

28. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

JimY 

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    My Silverangel is one of the lessor distressed ones, but it does have aged and cracked binding, some bumps and bruises, and finish sunken into the grain. Really a masterful aging effect. You either get them or you don't. A bad relic is pretty horrible though.
    Mine is very lightly distressed. Has an aged look with no cracking, checking or rub marks that appear to go through the finish. Certainly not the "max distressing " that Ken has done on a lot of his instruments. He does a masterful job and while I think his look good for the most part, I don't like those Martins, nor some instruments people try to distress themselves intentionally. Just my $.02
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

30. The following members say thank you to Mike Scott for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    I do like some 'distressed' instruments....
    Gawd, I hate that word "distressed"...
    One more reason to roll some eyes at Henry and Co.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Well, I'm not buying one. Honest wear for me!
    You'd change your mind if you were a touring musician with a Loar, and you ran into Gary Vessel's latest creation...
    Antiqued bench copies completely changed the world of violin making, with folks taking the 25K or so it took to insure a Strad, and had a bench copy made instead...
    A whole lotta stress gets relieved with that move...
    You watch--the same thing is about to happen in Loar-land, even though they're only running 135-150K or so...

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    People want a certain look on stage, I guess. I won't begrudge anyone.
    It's the feel that we all know and love on vintage instruments...
    The dings and "wear" on the back of the neck, the texture on a worn top...
    The old jeans analogy is actually a pretty good one--antiqued instruments just feel comfortable to play...
    This applies to Teles more that Loars to me, but it's still a big part of the equation...
    New expensive instruments that you're afraid to put a scratch in are kind of a PITA, IMHO...
    YMMV...

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spruce For This Useful Post:

Registered User mandolin breeze's Avatar

It can have a nice look if done right, but honestly, Willie took it too far.

Name:	wng.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	255.2 KB 
ID:	159883