Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flea Market Loar

Default Re: Flea Market Loar

I also read this and the first thing I thought of was a few months ago on this forum Spruce mentioned somebody bought a Loar at a flea market for $20, a great teaser and then he decided not to say anymore about it as it was his friend's story to tell and we would find out soon. Fast forward to the Vessel Loar replica by Testore in another thread here.....OK, please explain, I'm confused......there was no signed Loar, correct? And where does the $20 come into play? Obviously, $20 wouldn't buy an hour of a luthier's time, let alone a "genuine" signed Loar.......
    I don't believe it was an April Fools posting... I like a good joke as much as the next guy, but I don't joke about $20 Loars......

I replayed the interview and "I guess" the $20 signed Loar is another story altogether, but the INSPIRATION for Gary making his replica......

and hopefully the story of the $20 signed Loar will actually be told soon, it seems Gary knows something about its sale.....

very funny conclusion to the interview......worth the 14 minutes, IMHO

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I replayed the interview and "I guess" the $20 signed Loar is another story altogether, but the INSPIRATION for Gary making his replica......

and hopefully the story of the $20 signed Loar will actually be told soon, it seems Gary knows something about its sale.....

very funny conclusion to the interview......worth the 14 minutes, IMHO

First I LOVE that Vessel clone! I'm frothing and chompin at the bit over that baby, just don't have the scratch! I believed the 20 buck Loar story-strange things do happen but I have it on great authority it was a joke so, I bought it till this mornin. but strange stuff does happen around 2001 or so just a few miles outside Erie PA close to me a 23 Loar was sold at an estate sale, it was in a gun cabinet and sold for 800 bucks! Great condition hardly played it was a nice one someone made out good on that one and it was in my backyard! My Uncle Gene Johnson told me about it and said here is a true story that'll make ya sick "meaning a cheap Loar in my backyard!"

Of course, these days, EVEN IF you bought a $20 Loar it would still take a while to resell it in the 6-figure range, since there are so many on the market right now! But, I guess you could always just play it................

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Yeh but 20 bucks even a grand, that thing wouldn't get sold, maybe after I was dead and gone!

From bluegrasser78 - "...it was in a gun cabinet and sold for 800 bucks! Great condition hardly played ....". I believe that the Loar that Ricky Skaggs plays (played ?),resided in a gun cabinet for many,many years - however,i belive that he bought it for much more than $800. :- https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...mandolin/page2

I'm very sceptical re. the $20 Loar story though. I suppose that it could happen,but even a Flea market trader could recognise a 'well made' instrument ... or.... ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    From bluegrasser78 - "...it was in a gun cabinet and sold for 800 bucks! Great condition hardly played ....". I believe that the Loar that Ricky Skaggs plays (played ?),resided in a gun cabinet for many,many years - however,i belive that he bought it for much more than $800. :- https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...mandolin/page2

I'm very sceptical re. the $20 Loar story though. I suppose that it could happen,but even a Flea market trader could recognise a 'well made' instrument ... or.... ?,
    Ivan
    Yep the Loar that was sold for 800 bucks at an estate sale was in the town of Northeast, by Erie PA, real close to my house and thats what it really sold for at the sale but went for much more when sold to a player/collector, I believe Mitch Simpson bought it first because I called and talked with him about it, he confirmed the 800 dollar story but he said he paid a lot more for it, then maybe Skaggs bought it off him? If I looked in the archives I could find it, I remember what it looked like just can't remember the serial# off hand?

10. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

It's nice to dream, and stranger things have happened. I know we all keep an eye out, and occasionally you can luck out.
    33' Cyclops found at an antique store - $ 40 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140829_182315455.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	159882

12. The following members say thank you to Dobe for this post:

Sorry I missed this thread. The $20 mandolin flea market story is absolutely true. I saw the mandolin in person. Here are some photographs. Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4427.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	315.9 KB 
ID:	159886   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4421.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	412.3 KB 
ID:	159887   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4420.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	664.1 KB 
ID:	159888  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4429.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	458.9 KB 
ID:	159889   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4428.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	554.6 KB 
ID:	159890   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4418.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	314.2 KB 
ID:	159891  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4413.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	635.9 KB 
ID:	159892  

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to testore For This Useful Post:

For the record, here it is in the Archive, sans pics...
    #76785...

Now ya'll gotta decide if Gary whipped up the mandolin and the story...

16. The following members say thank you to Spruce for this post:

The green background in the scroll pic is the greatest!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    #76785...

Now ya'll gotta decide if Gary whipped up the mandolin and the story...
    I seen this one in the archive a while back, without pix! Gary can make em look like that but if its in the archive it has to be the real deal or the cafe/archive would lose some serious respect for putting a fake/clone in known Gibson's by a lot of us and other people! I was told by the site owner that it wasn't true just a story the 20 dollar Loar. I asked because I also wanted to donate a check cause I sold a few cheap cases! so
    I have doubts on this whole issue and don't like it. Its either true or not, why spin yarn!

The $20 flea market story is absolutely 100% real. I know the guy who has it. I know where it sits currently. Darryl Wolfe can confirm the information and when he received it. It happened earlier this year. Sorry for any confusion but the story is absolutely true.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to testore For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Thanks Gary, I've heard so much about it, fake story, real story etc... Why can't I be that lucky, I did find a junk 50's Kay Uke in a dumpster dive once, thats about my luck right there man! Someone is a happy picker for sure for a 20 buck investment-pretty unbelievable.

Blog Entries

When are we going to hear the TRUE story about it. What state was it found in etc....Very interesting!

#76785...
    I looked up that number from Gary's photos and it showed up in a Google search on the Archive. The date given on the Archive is Mar 31, 1924 and Gary's replica is Feb 18, 1924 -- why the discrepancy? Also, when was the Loar added to the Archive? Recently, or was it known? And, if it was known, why did the owner decide to sell it for $20 or was there a darker side to the story......?

Still confused....

24. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I looked up that number from Gary's photos and it showed up in a Google search on the Archive. The date given on the Archive is Mar 31, 1924 and Gary's replica is Feb 18, 1924 -- why the discrepancy? Also, when was the Loar added to the Archive? Recently, or was it known? And, if it was known, why did the owner decide to sell it for $20 or was there a darker side to the story......?

Still confused....
    That was a joke, sorry. The Loar story is true. The # is spot on. The flea market was in NoCal.
    Miracles still happen.

Gary's replica is another deal. What a great mandolin.

Oh, the Virzexorcism on the recording didn't really happen, except in our minds. But that's the only thing that really didn't happen.
    But it's pretty funny.

26. The following members say thank you to Spruce for this post:

I say impossible at $20. heck a Flea dealer will start out asking $100 for a $20 guitar. No way would they let something of such classic beauty go for under C note. And then there is the other Flea Dealers who walk around looking for such a deal so they can double their money in their space.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to f5loar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    I say impossible at $20. heck a Flea dealer will start out asking $100 for a $20 guitar. No way would they let something of such classic beauty go for under C note. And then there is the other Flea Dealers who walk around looking for such a deal so they can double their money in their space.
    Neither the buyer or seller knew what the thing was...that's why they brought it to Gary.
    No reason to lie about it, unless you're the seller trying to avoid the shame...

30. The following members say thank you to Spruce for this post:

Neither the buyer or seller knew what the thing was...that's why they brought it to Gary.
    No reason to lie about it, unless you're the seller trying to avoid the shame...
    Personally I would be ashamed to tell everyone I bought it for $20, especially if I knew what it was worth.

YMMV
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Blog Entries

Wow unbelievable, Gary's got the real deal now, maybe 20 bucks Hell one of the pearl buttons cost more than 20!

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Bob View Post
    Personally I would be ashamed to tell everyone I bought it for $20, especially if I knew what it was worth.
    Again, he said he bought it for twenty bucks before he knew what it was worth...

...and now ya'll know why it's better to just let these stories collect dust in the back of the closet...
    Last edited by Spruce; Aug-09-2017 at 3:56pm.

I don't go to the right flea markets.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

35. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Blog Entries

Too bad I wasn't there I would've offered 25 bucks! HA