• Roll In My Sweet Baby's Arms ~ BG

0 0%
  • Nancy Ann ~ OT tune in "G"

3 42.86%
  • The Battle of the Somme (J.S. Skinner) ~ Scottish

3 42.86%

Thread: Poll for Song a Week Social Group Week #433

Default Poll for Song a Week Social Group Week #433

This poll is for the Song A Week Social Group Week #433.

One vote per member of the social group. If you suggested any of the tunes that are on this week's poll, please post a reply to this poll discussion, with a link to the tune you had in mind! I will try to post the winner in a timely manner on Friday, August 11, in the Song A Week Social Group forum.

If you are not yet a member, there's a link at the bottom of this post that will take you there! Please join us over there, we are the largest and most active Social Group at Mandolin Cafe!

And now, a moment about that great group. We've been going, mostly strong, long enough for this to be week #433. That's over 8 years... hard to believe. And not only that, but we have approximately 1300 OTHER tunes that have been submitted, most have at least one video, many have many videos. I've noticed for a while now, that while our poll has many views, our voters are sliding WAY down, and our submissions of videos on our Tune of the Week, has also slowed way down. Are we reaching the event horizon? Are we running out of tunes? Do any of our members have any suggestions as to keeping this group alive? I don't really think it's because a week is too short to learn and video a tune.... along with the fact that it's summer, and people are generally busier in the summer, I think it's because we have almost 2000 tunes/songs, already done in our group! Do you think that we should just quit having Official Tune of the Week, with a poll, and go for just Other Tunes, where interested members continue to learn the tune of their choice, video it, and submit it? I'm open to suggestions! I do travel quite a bit, and so there are times when I am not johnny on the spot, putting up the polls, or announcing the winner, or updating the Table of Contents, but I do my best! It's not that I'm tired of keeping this group going.... but, if we dwindle down to very little participation, I wonder if I should! Now, I also know that there are a few people still voting, and the beauty of this group, in theory, is that a person can learn the new tune, utilizing the videos I might find, and the notation I might find, and never film themselves doing it or submit it. And that's ok. It's all about learning new stuff... right? So, if THAT is still something positive, I'm OK with keeping this thing going, as long as I have tune suggestions to populate a poll! If you have any input for me, on this question, I'll be posting this same thing in the group itself, or you can shoot me a private message.

Default Re: Poll for Song a Week Social Group Week #433

Now, I also know that there are a few people still voting, and the beauty of this group, in theory, is that a person can learn the new tune, utilizing the videos I might find, and the notation I might find, and never film themselves doing it or submit it. And that's ok. It's all about learning new stuff... right?
    That's me. I haven't submitted videos because I'm tech challenged but I do check out the tunes each week and if they appeal to me I try to learn them. I appreciate the work and dedication that you and the regulars have put into this group. I consider it one of the best free resources for learning tunes on the interwebs. If you decide to keep it going that's great or if you decide to let it go that's great too! Excellent work! Thanks, Matt