Thread: Thinking about a pick-up

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Default Thinking about a pick-up

Hey gang... I had my first on-stage experience this weekend using a clip on mic (don't ask me the make and model, it was supplied to me by the tech there). The Tech who is a friend recommended to me to get a pick up, but I'm not sure if it's worth it since 90% of my playing is acoustic; both for fun and at my local jam. However, I do hope to be on stage more in the future.

Is it worth it? If so, what are some affordable and good options for my Eastman MD 305?

I don't have much money to work with so self-installed is probably a better option for me
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Default Re: Thinking about a pick-up

Try the "search" option in the upper right hand corner of this web page. The vast majority of posts in the Equipment forum are on "which pickup should I get?" Ask 5 of us regulars and you'll get 7 different answers. I've had great success with the JJB PPS 200. Others swear by other brands. For $23 and self install its the best bang for the buck I've found. Depending on what you play through for a sound system, you'll need a pre-amp or DI as well. That's a whole other search, with 100's of hits.

3. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

Thanks! I did try the search feature but searching for "Mandolin pick-up" gets you lots of threads about "mandolins" and "picks" so I opted to start another thread
    Silverangel Econo A #429

Mandobart, looking at that pick-up, I'm wondering if this is to be installed inside the mando?
    Silverangel Econo A #429

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    Mandobart, looking at that pick-up, I'm wondering if this is to be installed inside the mando?
    Yes, I install them inside the instrument. You can also try an external mount, but I've had better results with internal. I find the Carpenter jack a problem with some cases (clearance too tight to keep the jack on and still close the case). This style is a less expensive option, though I've never used the single head.

7. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

I personally opted for the JJB and like it a lot.....very faithful to the sound of the instrument. You're handy with tools, so I don't think you'd have any trouble with self installing. I have a couple videos on YouTube showing how to install, as well as demonstrating how the pickup sounds, if you're interested (same username).

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Billkwando For This Useful Post:

Good videos Bill, thanks!
    Silverangel Econo A #429

11. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post:

I have had a pickup in prior mandos, but now if i perform on stage with a PA I play through a SM57. It sounds natural and I'm not connected to a cord

Cheers,

Rob
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Optimally you need both a good mic to play into and a pickup installed for those gigs and venues where a mic just won't work. SM 57's are the industry workhorse. There are many to choose from I like AKG C 1000's myself. I have K&K pickups and an ART preamp , both "reasonably" priced and reasonably well performing. Tonally a pickup isn't yet a mic but they are much closer than they were thirty years ago.
    Another good investment, not so inexpensive, is an amp designed for use with acoustic instruments. Fishman makes several excellent models and Roland does also. With these and many more you can skip using the preamp. But it's best to always have one in your "kit" . The amp can be used as a monitor and line out to the board at larger venues and sole amplification at smaller ones. It will allow you to tailor your sound before the sound tech gets your signal. I know money money money ...... but tone ..... and controlling it is worth investing in. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

14. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

Not sure of your budget, but I have a 305 with the K&K Twin into a Pure pre-amp running straight into the sound system. That's about $200. Most sound guys add a little bit of compression and some reverb. I get a lot of complements on the sound. I have placed small pieces of duct tape just inside the F-holes to both hold the transducers in place and take a little off of the top end.
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

16. The following members say thank you to gspiess for this post:

I really appreciate all the responses guys!

I'm personally liking the idea of the external mount that Mandobart posted above... I'm working toward buying number 2 and appreciate the possibility of moving it from one instrument to another without too much hassle.

Thoughts?
    Silverangel Econo A #429

I got an LR Baggs pickup. Like you I have only played with amplification very rarely (okay, only one time, and with a mic which really didn't work well because you can't turn and look at your fellow players.) I thought it might be a good idea to have a pickup just in case I ever do it again and this one supposedly isn't a permanent fixture. So far I haven't used it so I can't tell you how well it works.

I just used an inexpensive external one for a recent gig on my travel mandolin while my main one was in the shop. $18. Worked as good as any other external mount piezo that I've used.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...p-piezo-pickup
    With any piezo pickup, you'll also want to use a DI to match impedance.
    This is an inexpensive and decent one:
    https://smile.amazon.com/BEHRINGER-V.../dp/B000KITQK2

20. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

i liked the JJB as well.
    Mandolins are truly *magic*!

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Mics are best but I have a K&K for noisy bars. IMO, it is waaay easier to make sound good than the baggs radius.

I've got the JJB with the carpenter jack run through that di/preamp Colorado al linked. It sounds pretty natural to me. Gotten a few compliments on it at church. I'm sure the sound could be improved with fancier bits, but my setup is far less of an impact than my ability at this point for any bad sound.