Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AWESOME "People Get Ready" cover (Sierra Hull)

Default Re: AWESOME "People Get Ready" cover (Sierra Hull)

Thanks for posting the video. I was at that festival, and the end of Sierra's set had some fun covers. Very funky. We we're dancing to the beat of the bass and mando!

2. The following members say thank you to Prelude for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    Awesome groove! Lots of music for a duo! ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Prelude View Post
    ... I was at that festival, and the end of Sierra's set had some fun covers. Very funky. We we're dancing to the beat of the bass and mando!
    Until I heard those two play, I never would have imagined that a mandolin & bass duo could create such a powerful and compelling groove/rhythm.

The other thing I notice about them in this song, is that they seem to be genuinely enjoying playing. It's nice to see the smiles and it's clear that they're paying attention to each other's playing, listening to what the other one is doing. It takes good listening skills to know what to play in order to create extraordinarily-good music, and Sierra and Ethan seem to be excellent at all of those things.

From my point of view here in the internet audience, their enjoyment of their own playing (combined of course with their obvious talent) makes the performance feel fresh and new and inspirational. It's like the free-spirited vibe you'd get from an improv or something, but refined to perfection.

guess I'm the odd one out. Not a bad take on the tune,, but it didn't catch me. I don't feel any need to listen again. To each his own so they say.

Bass extensions aren't new, The guys sitting behind me in the orchestra when I was doing my undergrad back in the '80s all had 'em.

5. The following members say thank you to Bad Monkey for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Monkey View Post
    Bass extensions aren't new, The guys sitting behind me in the orchestra when I was doing my undergrad back in the '80s all had 'em.
    So did the guys sitting behind me, which was odd because they were trombone players.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

7. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    So did the guys sitting behind me, which was odd because they were trombone players.
    them sliphorns were over my right shoulder, behind the squeaksticks and the baboons...

9. The following members say thank you to Bad Monkey for this post:

Well done. Amazing sky that night.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Kammerzell For This Useful Post:

them sliphorns were over my right shoulder, behind the squeaksticks and the baboons...
    I'm guessing "baboons" are probably bassoons, but what are "squeaksticks"?

I don't know anything about orchestras, but I'd imagine that if I were to try to play any of those wind instruments they'd probably *all* squeak! I base this on the following:

My dad had an old black-and-silver wind instrument of some sort that resided disassembled in its case. The instrument was black wood with a bunch of complicated weird-looking silver-colored metal gizmos attached to it. He didn't know what it was, he'd found it in a junkstore (that was decades before anyone started calling such places "thrift stores"). The case that the instrument fit into, if I recall correctly, was maybe 2.5 feet (76cm) long by 1.5 foot (46cm) across by maybe 5 inches (12cm) high, if that helps to narrow down what it might have been.

I took it out of the case one time, assembled it as best I could see how, and proceed to see if I could make it do something. Hmm, blats and blurts, squeaks and squeals, couldn't make it produce a musical note.

Don't know if there was something wrong with the instrument (likely), or if it required some special technique other than just blowing into one end of it.

It did have a part that I later came to find out was referred to as a "reed".

Many years later, my brief experience with Uilleann pipes made my realize that reeds aren't the easiest things to maintain and deal with.

So maybe that was what was wrong with the mystery instrument that my dad had, a reed issue maybe? And/or combined with zero knowledge on my part of how to play the darned thing.

That was one of many weird instruments he collected. He was a total NON-reformed packrat who collected anything and everything he could get his paws on, including cars, boats, trucks, stationary engines, motorcycles, old military weapons, and hundreds of various oddball musical instruments which were scattered all throughout the house beckoning people to try to play them.

(That's one easy way to have your kids learn to play music, just leave instruments scattered all over within easy reach, sooner or later a kid will get curious and pick them up, one by one, and see what kinds of sounds they will produce. If there is a sufficient variety of *functional* instruments to choose from, sooner or later the kid will discover one that s/he takes a liking to, and then the kid will be *requesting* lessons instead of the more-usual thing of parents coercing their kids into taking music lessons. If the kid thinks it's their own idea, rather than something that's being foisted off on them, the kid is much more likely to follow through with whatever it takes to learn proper technique etc.)

Last edited by Jess L.; Aug-26-2017 at 9:34pm. Reason: Fixed link.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    My dad had an old black-and-silver wind instrument of some sort that resided disassembled in its case. The instrument was black wood with a bunch of complicated weird-looking silver-colored metal gizmos attached to it. He didn't know what it was, he'd found it in a junkstore (that was decades before anyone started calling such places "thrift stores"). The case that the instrument fit into, if I recall correctly, was maybe 2.5 feet (76cm) long by 1.5 foot (46cm) across by maybe 5 inches (12cm) high, if that helps to narrow down what it might have been.
    Clarinet or oboe would fit that description.

So maybe that was what was wrong with the mystery instrument that my dad had, a reed issue maybe? And/or combined with zero knowledge on my part of how to play the darned thing.
    Reed instruments all sound like tortured cats until you're good at playing them...

P.S. the reed is for the woodwind player what the pick is to the mandolinist: countless makers, thicknesses and shapes, acquisition syndrome and discussion.
    Last edited by Bertram Henze; Aug-27-2017 at 2:33am.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    Clarinet or oboe would fit that description.
    Thanks! I looked at the links you provided, the most likely culprit is clarinet - of those two (clarinet vs oboe), the clarinet mouthpiece shape looks vaguely familiar, whereas I don't recall seeing anything that looked like the oboe mouthpiece.

Reed instruments all sound like tortured cats until you're good at playing them...
    Ah, so they're like fiddles then. That was my experience with fiddles, anyway.

Lol! That's hilarious, I like his dry sense of humor, good comedy, including the intentionally exaggerated mispronunciation (for comedic effect) of "Uilleann". Quick sample of the narrative:

"So the bagpipes are strapped to you, the good thing about strapping a musical instrument to you, is that it's hard for people to steal them off you. However, if you get kidnapped while they're strapped to you, then you will be kidnapped along with your Uillean bagpipes. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, because if you're like in a prison or an underground bunker, you can entertain yourself during your captivity by playing the bagpipes....

"I've had the bagpipes for less than 24 hours. So I got them yesterday, look, see the price tag is still on them, and I played them yesterday but I didn't know that you had to put a reed in, and so they were completely silent, didn't make any noise..."

Ha! Excellent. Thanks for that link, Bertram.

P.S. the reed is for the woodwind player what the pick is to the mandolinist: countless makers, thicknesses and shapes, acquisition syndrome and discussion.
    Fascinating stuff, I like learning about these things. Thanks again Bertram!

I'm guessing "baboons" are probably bassoons, but what are "squeaksticks"?
    squeaksticks would be the clarinets. Evil things.

17. The following members say thank you to Bad Monkey for this post:

squeaksticks would be the clarinets. Evil things.
    Ah. Thanks!

Of course everyone has different preferences, that's cool.

The very first time I heard this song was by The Chambers Brothers, yes I know they weren't actually the first to sing it, but this is what I heard:

(or direct link)

... I love the harmonies and I listened to that recording quite a bit, *but* I had to turn my treble control *all* the way down to try to rid the recording of the too-prominent snare drum (or whatever it is that makes that shrill high-pitched off-beat percussive noise that sounds like breaking glass on the 3-beat of each measure). I don't understand why the studio people decided to turn that up so high. That was actually what prompted me, years ago, to seek out alternative and newer versions of this song.

Unfortunately my high-frequency hearing has always been pretty keen, and it's the higher frequencies that are always the first to become irritating to me. I'm one of those people who can often hear the high-pitched mosquito-like whine from various cheap power-supply transformers (wall-brick chargers for various battery-powered things such as cell phones etc), 2 out of 3 of our house's dimmer switches, trad lightbulbs right before they burn out, etc, although I've managed to mentally "tune that out" to where it doesn't bother me. And no, I'm not young, far from it.

I would love to hear a proper remixed version of that original Chambers Brothers recording where they dialed-down the snare-drum percussion to a more tolerable level. Car stereo or home stereo tone controls can only do so much.

As to the Chamber Bros recorded mix, it might just be me, though. Never heard anyone else complain about it, although I haven't went around asking people about it either, so who knows.

I think a lot of what seems 'good', is pretty heavily dependent on which frequencies a particular listener's ears can hear.

In this household, I'm the high-frequency hearer who dislikes the shrill ear-piercing springtime bird sounds, whereas my wonderful significant other can't hear those at *all* (he has significant high-frequency hearing loss from years of workplace noise exposure)... but *his* pet-peeve is the low-pitched cooing sound of the very mellow doves in the trees out back (I can barely hear that at all, certainly doesn't bother me). He can also hear the distant low-pitched rumble of the freight train miles away, long before I can hear it, however I can hear the distant shrill high-pitched train whistle before he can.

I would think it would be tough trying to make decisions as to how to mix songs, when there are so many variables as to people's ears, what types of audio gear they're using (big headphones, car speakers, little bitty earbuds etc).

You know what would be cool, although I suppose not practical due to worries about theft of music, would be if each instrument's track was separately controllable by the consumer. Each listener could create their own custom mix. They could selectively turn up/down/off instruments and vocals to suit themselves. I've tried to do similar with equalizers but doesn't really work, maybe I'm doing it wrong or not using the right equipment (cheap stuff), dunno.

Yeah I know, I'm off-topic, but hey (FWIW) I'm the OP and personally I like off-topic tangents once in a while, that's how I learn new stuff.
    A number of us heard it for the first time, when the Chambers Brothers did it.
    Time!
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

20. The following members say thank you to Bill Kammerzell for this post:

One of my favorite versions of People Get Ready is by the late Eva Cassidy.

22. The following members say thank you to Nick Royal for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Royal View Post
    My gosh. She did some beautiful stuff. Two distinctly different versions of "Wayfaring Stranger." One a folk like version, with a verse I'd never heard. Another, haunting, upbeat, jazz version. She was something. My wife adores her stuff.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

24. The following members say thank you to Bill Kammerzell for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Royal View Post

Quote Originally Posted by willkamm View Post
    My gosh. She did some beautiful stuff. ...
    Yes. Here's some footage of Eva performing People Get Ready. According to the YouTube page, this was at a jazz club on the east coast (U.S.) in 1996, pretty nice:

(or direct link)

26. The following members say thank you to Jess L. for this post:

I played this song in my church several months ago. Beautiful Curtis Mayfield song.
    Gibson F-5G (Harvey signed, Oct. 14, 2014)

28. The following members say thank you to drbluegrass for this post:

I must admit that I couldn't avert my eyes from the bass player - apparently he has some gadgets on his instrument I haven't seen before on a bass, such as drop tuners.

You say there's Sierra Hull in that video?
    Bertram,

I have a problem averting my eyes but for a different reason. You say there's a bass player in that video? I heard them play this a couple of years ago in Asheville, NC, and loved it. I also noticed what appeared to me to be the "Bass capo," and talked to Ethan about it.

My recollections of hearing this song go back to my youth and parties where it would be played--I assume the Impressions version--and it evokes great memories of warm summer breezes and lovely young ladies. So I still like what to me is the original version but, and I have to say I like the Eva C version a little better than this one. But all in all I still think Sierra is the best!

Pat Hull

I must admit that I couldn't avert my eyes from the bass player - apparently he has some gadgets on his instrument I haven't seen before on a bass, such as drop tuners.

You say there's Sierra Hull in that video?
    That is a common extension, used almost universally by symphony bassists and sometimes jazz players will have one. I think it is less commonly used in bluegrass or other styles, but it allows the player to get down to low C.
    Regards,
    F. D.
    Highway 80 Stories

Quote Originally Posted by Hwy80 View Post
    That is a common extension, ... it allows the player to get down to low C.

And to play Flint Hill Special?