Thread: A very nice intermediate mandolin & why I got it.

Default A very nice intermediate mandolin & why I got it.

In reality I have owned about six different mandolins and I'm still just a beginner but I can play most of the chords, a few songs and a lot of "noodling" on the neck. I have finally found the Mandolin I want to keep and I thought it might help others if I shared my buying decision.

I did not want a beginners Mando only because I wanted something nicer but here was my criteria:
    1. Solid Wood throughout.
    2. A nice striped Maple back (My Father was a violinist and I always loved the Backs of the violins.
    3. Any style; A, F, or something else.
    4 Something that could reasonably be an heirloom

The ONLY one I could find that matched my criteria was an Ibanez 700AVS I found one far below the MFRP and it exhibited some really great features;
    While it is an F-Style it does not have the pompadour head like most F styles (I found the pompadour style to be prone to breakage and not particularly to my liking)
    It has an absolutely wonderful tone and exceptional sustain.
    Solid wood through and a nicely figured striped maple back.

The only drawback was one of the tuners on the e string was unusable - this maybe who the price was so low. But I called Ibanez support and they sent me a new set - really exceptional customer service.
    I suppose I am not sophisticated enough to understand the differences in tone others have mentioned but to my ear it's sounds fabulous when played softly or when driven. With it and a really nice case I'm still way under the retail price.
    Last edited by Ralf Czerny; Feb-20-2023 at 5:17pm. Reason: add picture if possible

Default Re: A very nice intermediate mandolin & why I got it.

Glad you like it and are happy playing it, that implies you will play it more often and there will be more mandolin music in the world, a win win I'd say.
    I also understand the need to move up from a beginners model.
    Now you have moved into the stage of mandolin where you are not just playing tunes but pushing tone out of the instrument.
    Enjoy!
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

3. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

Thank you Sir, that is very gratifying!

I don’t know that particular mandolin but you listed a very sensible set of criteria in choosing it. Congratulations and here’s to your continuing on the path to learning this wonderful instrument.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Attachment 206211

Here is a photo. I really love the color - again more reminiscent of the violins

Sorry, Clunk,,, this didn’t work.

I assume it is like one of these:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20431462-25F5-46A9-ADD6-5B0324563E12.jpeg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	206214
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Congrats on a great choice. I know exactly how you feel. My “first” mandolin and the only mandolin that I own now is an Ibanez 522. A long time ago in a galaxy not very far away I was a bluegrass mandolin/banjo fanatic that got burned out and quit completely for more than 20 years. It’s a long story. In any respect in early 2020 I wanted something to relieve the crushing boredom of being under house arrest by the Covid virus for the next few years, so I bought a guitar. In fact I bought several before landing on “the ONE”, and later a mandolin. I stumbled upon this Ibanez 522 and took a chance on it because it ticked all of the boxes for me, (make that “box”) it was inexpensive, one of those “open box” deals from an on line vendor. I wasn’t expecting much, but after a thorough set up, I was amazed, shocked, delighted at what I had. 20 or 25 years ago, the last time I fondled a mandolin, an entry level mandolin wasn’t even in the same universe as this little mandolin. I had gotten it right the first time! The craftsmanship was good. It was much better that I anticipated. The only thing that I could criticise on it was the way too heavy gloss finish. I love high gloss on all my instruments, but it does have limits. Yes, it’s laminated and no it doesn’t project like a multi-thousand dollar mando, but my cat, my only audience thinks that it is quite loud enough. The sound was astounding for a beginner mandolin at this price point. Mine has the dark violin finish that I really like. Maybe someday in the future I may upgrade, but it will be a while and probably never. I’m 76 now, so it’s unlikely that I will “outgrow” this little guy.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Ibanez M-522
    Gold Tone GM 10 Frypan