Thread: Kentucky KM900, KM950 and KM956

Default Kentucky KM900, KM950 and KM956

Do the Kentucky KM900, KM950 and KM956, all have tone bar bracing? It appears that the only difference in the KM950 and the KM956 is the finish; am I correct? I don't find the KM956 listed on the Saga website; is it a special model made for The Mandolin Store? Thanks for reading this post.

Default Re: Kentucky KM900, KM950 and KM956

Jon - I just had a look at the KM900 /KM950 & KM956 at the mandolin store (maybe as you've done ?) Nothing is mentioned re.the tonebars. I'm sure that if you e-mailed Dennis there,he could tell you.

The KM900 by all accounts was built to replicate the only Gibson Lloyd Loar "A" style mandolin ever built. Even in the description of that mandolin,the bracing style isn't mentioned - why ??. From The Mandolin Archive :- "The "Ms. Griffith" mandolin, A-model body, snakehead, Fleur-De-Lis inlay, unique tone and top response, only known style 5 A-model". However,does the KM900 have the same style bracing as the Gibson ?. Did the replication go that far ?.

Regardless,the general consensus of opinion on here re.the KM900,is that they're exceptionally fine mandolins indeed,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I believe the KM950 has a slightly wider nut and larger fretwire than the KM900 model, plus a radiused fretboard.

(Further scrutiny of The Mandolin Store seems to indicate that the KM900 nut has been widened to one-and-one-eighth, to match the 950).

KM900 specs here

KM950 specs here

KM956 specs here
    Last edited by Ron McMillan; Aug-01-2017 at 5:17am. Reason: more information plus one correction

My 950 has tonebars.

The 900 series mandolins all have tone bars, I asked the same question when I was interested in buying a KM-956...

Great mandolins for the money and a nice bluegrass sound...

Willie

6. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post:

Thanks Willie and Eric! That's what I needed to know. I'm going get a KM950.

8. The following members say thank you to Jon Hall for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Hall View Post
    Thanks Willie and Eric! That's what I needed to know. I'm going get a KM950.
    I love mine. Just note that the finish is extremely thin and will be prone to pinky wear over time!

Those mandolins are the doorway to really decent mandolins. When I was at the Mandolin Store, the next step up in tone was the Northfield at double the money.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Those mandolins are the doorway to really decent mandolins. When I was at the Mandolin Store, the next step up in tone was the Northfield at double the money.
    If you mean "decent" as spending a ton more money, then sure. The MM series Kentucky's are well beyond decent.

Blog Entries

The 900's all have tone bars, as do the F models, I don't think any Kentucky has X-bracing!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric C. View Post
    If you mean "decent" as spending a ton of money, then sure. The MM series Kentucky's are well beyond decent.
    It's a matter of what you consider decent. For me it is the point at which I'd shell out cash. In the world of Mandolin, this has become an upward sliding scale. The MM Kentucky is kind of my base line of what I could live with now, my MK excepted being that the bar is lowered significantly because of what I want out of it.

I'm looking now for a complement to my Silverangel, and an F style. The MM Kentuckys are good, but I fear I'll need another grand for a Northfield for what is really just a bit of difference. But that bit is there. But then I played a Big Mon and .....well you get the picture.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

It's odd that even the manufacturer doesn't specify the style of bracing in the 900 series ?. I'd have thought that with the bracing being such an important part of the build,that it would have been stated,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Bluegrasser78 said that none of the Kentucky mandolins have x-bracing. I guess it is assumed that everyone knows that. I know that Weber can be ordered with x braces or tone bars. Since I've been a Weber owner for 19 years, I assumed that was the case.
    I have found a KM956 at a local music store. The only difference between it and a KM950 is more subdued sun-burst.