Thread: Jack mounting on a Rigel

Registered User Matt Hutchinson's Avatar

Default Jack mounting on a Rigel

Hi

I have a Rigel A Natural - one of the few Rigels without the internal pickup as standard. I was planning to get an LR Baggs Radius for it, but looks like the standard carpenter jack mount won't work on the Rigel due to the rounded sides.

Anyone got any tips on pickup mounting for a Rigel without installing an endpin jack?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Matt Hutchinson; Jul-31-2017 at 5:30am. Reason: dodgy spelling

Blog Entries

Default Re: Jack mounting on a Rigel

If you just want to avoid the tailblock drilling/reeming there's Vintage Jack pins for mandolin. You'll need some soldering skills and adapter or cable for the 1/8" jack

Thanks Mark, I'll check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    If you just want to avoid the tailblock drilling/reeming there's Vintage Jack pins for mandolin. You'll need some soldering skills and adapter or cable for the 1/8" jack
    I have been using one for several years, they are solid and work well. I have one on a couple of mandolins and a guitar, all work great with no problems.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thanks. Looks to be a useful bit of kit and easy to swap out when you get a new mandolin. The only benefit to a carpenter jack I guess is for those of us (like me) who don't need a pickup very often and would prefer to remove it when not in use.

Cheers for the advice.

you could zip tie jack to the tailpiece with a small tie and cut it off when not in use. You get a bag of ties cheap.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

7. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

I sent my A Nat back to Rigel to have the internal piezo added.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Thanks Dave. Shipping from the UK might make that prohibitive but I could always do what I did with my last mando and have a pickup installed internally - I was just looking for a solution I could swap between instruments

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hutchinson View Post
    Thanks Dave. Shipping from the UK might make that prohibitive but I could always do what I did with my last mando and have a pickup installed internally - I was just looking for a solution I could swap between instruments
    Ahhh, I hadn't stopped to realize that you're in the UK. Good luck!
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Blog Entries

Personally, I'd avoid the Radius. It is exceptionally prone to handling noise and LF 'thump' issues. They can require a lot of EQ work to get them to sound decent.

You could consider the AKG C411.

These are far less 'quacky' than the Baggs and can use a temporary fix (or permanent - though that is a little more tricky as they use a condenser, not a piezo, element). Closest comparison is the new Schertler transducers. They sound very similar. Much smoother..good output and you can run them straight into the mic XLR input of any desk. No additional preamps required. Easy to EQ.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

13. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Thanks, that's useful to now. I did have a Schertler a few years ago but had quite a few problems with it (and it broke in the end). I have used an AKG C411 before and it worked well so maybe that's the way to go in this case. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    Personally, I'd avoid the Radius. It is exceptionally prone to handling noise and LF 'thump' issues. They can require a lot of EQ work to get them to sound decent.

You could consider the AKG C411.

These are far less 'quacky' than the Baggs and can use a temporary fix (or permanent - though that is a little more tricky as they use a condenser, not a piezo, element). Closest comparison is the new Schertler transducers. They sound very similar. Much smoother..good output and you can run them straight into the mic XLR input of any desk. No additional preamps required. Easy to EQ.
    Ok i think im sold on the c411.
    1 can i use an adaptor, mic to 1/4"? And, will i need a di IF i go into an amp, and not a board? Is this latter an option, as at some street, open air market gigs, this is the only option. It is important that i be able to play into a guitar amp, as well as a board.

2 i cant tell from pic, but, can the cord be detached or is it short so if im playing without amplification, it will be out of the way?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedenver View Post
    2 i cant tell from pic, but, can the cord be detached or is it short so if im playing without amplification, it will be out of the way?
    I think that's the joy of this type of pickup - if you're not using it you can just take it off completely

17. The following members say thank you to Matt Hutchinson for this post: