Thread: Ruhland Mandolins shop visit

Default Ruhland Mandolins shop visit

I have been pretty excited to have a new F5 builder pop up in the town the past year or so and have been keeping in touch with him to see his progress as he transitions to a full time builder. Last week I got to go over to Matt Ruhland's shop to check out and pick his most recent batch of F5s, 16-20. They are sweet. All varnished x braced F5s. He definitely has learned how to build a powerful F5. Still dialing in the fit and finish stuff, but they are great mandolins out the box. I particularly like #18 as it was focused and powerful, #16 was a beast, but not quite as focused, with more overtones, kind of reminded me of some of the early Flatirons. We were talking and he is hoping to get a batch of As going soon of which he has a copy of John Sullivan's plans from the Griffith Loar. Also, a really nice guy. Just exciting to see a new local guy getting into building quality mandolins.

*I have no financial affiliation with Matt Ruhland or Ruhland mandolins.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1840.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	668.0 KB 
ID:	159658

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Josh Levine For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ruhland Mandolins shop visit

I just learned of Ruhland mandolins from the ads in the classifieds for his latest batch. Got in touch with him (Matt Ruhland) and lined up a visit. He had four mandolins from his latest batch (16 - 20) for me to try out. I just got back.

I was very impressed. I do not have the experience necessary to guess how they will sound after being broken in, but I can tell you that they sound very good right now, broken in or not. To me they do have that bluegrassy chop and bite along with the tonal subtleties you would expect with a high quality mandolin. They project quite well. It is obvious that he pays a lot of attention to detail in the construction. I thought the fit and finish was good. The four do have slightly different voices, so it will be interesting to see how he zeroes in on his targetted voicing.

I am glad we have him here in the Portland, Oregon, area. I think he is a builder to watch. He does make a nice mandolin.

And to top it all off, Matt is a really interesting guy.

NFI on my part - I'm just an interested Newbie mandolinner.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HonketyHank For This Useful Post:

Just checked out his site and the instruments look really nice. In the videos he posted, they sound like they really project and have a very nice voice. Anyone know about his pricing? I'm thinking of adding to my herd (of 1) and was looking for local builders. Also considering a Morris, as I've read lots of high comments on Sonny's mandolins.

He currently has them listed on Craigslist for $4000. You could shoot him an email and ask, though. I would recommend getting ahold of Matt and playing them. He will also show you around the shop. Super nice guy and a great builder. Even if you don't buy one now it is worth checking them out and seeing what he has cooking in the shop.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...360008231.html

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Josh Levine For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

He's still got one listed here at MC: https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/114728#114728. He's asking $3500 but I suspect he would take less. I can't remember what his ebay listing was for but I think it had a starting bid of $2900.

Sonny's mandolins are good and considerably cheaper but they are no frills, no bling, quite utilitarian. Both are worth a visit to check out. It is a bit of a drive out to Irrigon and back though.

edit: You might call Vic's Guitar Cave out in Forest Grove to see if he has a Morris. I know he had a used one in his shop a year or two ago. That would be a lot shorter drive.

another edit: just now noticed that there are 2 Ruhland's on ebay, auction ending late tomorrow. bids are at ~$1000, reserve not met. BIN at $4300.
    Last edited by HonketyHank; Oct-28-2017 at 10:17pm.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

9. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

Hmm, those must be the same ones he has on Craiglist, #16 and #19. His mandolins are in a different league from Sonny's. Sonny does a great job of building an American made carved top mandolin at an affordable price, but Ruhland's are varnished F5 bluegrass machines.

First batch of Matt's As. Looking good. He said they should be done Mid October. Looking forward to going over to his place and A/Bing with my Duff. Really want to grab one of these if I can sneak it past my other half... (NFI)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ruhlandAs.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	288.0 KB 
ID:	171309

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Josh Levine For This Useful Post:

He’s certainly found a good wood supplier!

14. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    He’s certainly found a good wood supplier!
    I think Bruce Harvie has a few slats of good wood still laying around.

16. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post:

Looking forward to your report. Like the new headstock logo. Wish he had used some red spruce on at least one.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Those A's in the pic look wonderful with the big, rich bursts, and on the necks, too. An old style script logo would be lovely. It would be tough to choose one based on looks alone.

It's a big improvement over the giant R.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave

The nearest A5 on the front right will be heading home with me on Monday or Tuesday, happily..

21. The following members say thank you to Old Growth for this post:

Congrats! That sure is beautiful. Please give us a report and some sound clips.

Thank you, yes they are all quite striking. Sounds like Tuesday is the day Matt will string it up. Should be fun, Matt sure gets a great tone. I'm a bit of a hack but i'm sure someone will load up a sound file!

I enjoyed being able to bring one of the Matt Ruhland A5's home last night. I will take a look at how to up load the requested information to the forum later this evening. I am quite impressed with his work. Exceptional tone, plays very well and looks every bit the part of a professional level instrument. Warmth of tone from the Engelmann top I anticipated. I hadn't expected the clarity and power of this A5. It jumps right out with an immediacy that is striking. So many talented builders, Matt is certainly an upper tier craftsman. I could easily gush on but I will attempt to restrain myself. How are you so humble, Matt?

* Well I know this likely isn't the ideal way to share the video of the builder playing this A5 but it does work. For those interested I hope you enjoy it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/REd5es261XPGw7gQ7
    Last edited by Old Growth; Sep-26-2018 at 8:58pm.

25. The following members say thank you to Old Growth for this post:

Congrats! It's got a lot going for it at brand new. Big voice. Very nice. You should be a happy camper!

I haven't heard of this builder before but I'm certainly intrigued. A solid hand built f model for the prices being thrown around is something I feel the mandolin world is lacking. I would love to try one out. They look like fine heirloom instruments.
    Stiver F5 #366
    Kopp K-35 Braz
    Huss & Dalton TD-M Custom
    1935 Martin 00-17
    HD-28E Retro

Thank you, Don and Trich...I am hesitant to praise the new A5 overtly because its easy to go overboard. I will leave it for others to pitch in as they receive their own over the next month or so. I can only add that its everything it appears to be and then some. Thank you Matt, goodness.

Its been 2-3 weeks since I brought home the first of the Ruhland A5's. I wasn't able to resist uploading another sound file. Hopefully, I have followed the process of uploading correctly.
    Attached Files Attached Files

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Growth For This Useful Post:

Old Growth,

That mandolin sure has a dep woody tone to it. Nice playing too.

Thanks George..yes, it really does have some nice tone. Deep and resonant, powerful loud as well. I'm fortunate to have a couple of high end instruments in my house and this Ruhland stands toe to toe with all of them.

* I admit I do have financial association with Matt Ruhland. I bring him my money:/

Happily!

33. The following members say thank you to Old Growth for this post: