Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: nut width of BM's July 9 1923 mandolin?

Default nut width of BM's July 9 1923 mandolin?

Haven't stumbled on this measurement of the Great Picker's famous F5, but remember an interview where he said the neck was "really small". Well...just wondering how small?

Default Re: nut width of BM's July 9 1923 mandolin?

As I recall, the standard nut width of a Loar F5 is 1-1/16".
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

I seem to remember reading that Monroe's Loar has a 1" nut width.
    I only remember that because it seems awful narrow when I read it.
    Could be wrong, but I remember that from somewhere, maybe that article about when they gave back the repaired mandolin to BM.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

I had a 1918 A with a 1 1/8 nut, and a 1922 with a 1 1/4 nut. I'm wondering if there was a not lot of consistency.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thomas Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by mandotool View Post
    I'm surprised that hasn't sold.............................................. ......!!!

I also wonder if Wood knew to correct for the intonation error that seems to be mentioned a lot these days......Thile, Gilchrist, etc......

i appreciate all the replies.

Mandotool, that's a great idea to check out the old F5 fretboatd at Carter's. E-mail sent. Maybe the angle of the photo could make a difference, but the distance from frets 7-9 seems to be the same as the width at the nut. The absence of binding would also change the measurement.

Seems like somebody out there ought to know the nut width at the fretboard, tho.

It always looked extra small in pictures with Bill. I speculated that's why he started playing up the neck.

I have heard from people that had first hand knowledge that it was 1", but of course I don't have first hand knowledge myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hilburn View Post
    It always looked extra small in pictures with Bill. I speculated that's why he started playing up the neck.
    Having a mandolin with a 1" nut width, I can say that it makes it much easier to play out of chord position up the neck.

I did play Bill's mandolin (many years ago.) I'm used to the standard-width nut on my mandolin and I didn't notice any difference playing his mandolin. One sixteenth is a noticeable difference on a mandolin neck.

I WAS really struck by the tone of his mandolin. It had that dry woody Bill Monroe tone. Mine is the same era and sounds pretty dang good. But Bill's had a tone unlike any other mandolin; and I've played a lot of those old Loars.

Steve

That rumor got started based on close up photos of Monroe's hand on the fingerboard in the G position. Monroe had really big hands, that much I do remember and that was really strong too!

When talking about neck width and feel in a Gibson F5, one might want to not only look at the nut width, but also at the finger board width at the 12th fret, which is wider on Loars than on every recent Gibson F I've seen. BTW the nut width on my '24 Loar is 26.5 mms, thus a bit less than 1 1/16 inch.

You would expect they had some form of template and cutting system that insured consistency in making their boards and that there would be no reason to expect Bill's to be any different than any other F-5.

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    That rumor got started based on close up photos of Monroe's hand on the fingerboard in the G position. Monroe had really big hands, that much I do remember and that was really strong too!
    Yep.

The mandolin was dwarfed in his hands, just like Duffey's was.

- Mooch out

16. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

No answer from Carter's on the old Monroe fretboard, but Walter was kind enough to let me know the July 9th 1923 F5 for sale has a nut width of 1.058", which is a little smaller than the board (including binding) which measures 1.087" at the nut.

It would be nice to know the width of the old fretboard (maybe someone from the Cafe can check when stopping by Carter's), but if it's unbound, i would still be guessing the width. Unless the unbound part of the above Loar could be measured and compared.

Yessir, i've always been impressed with the Monroe and Duffey paws. i wonder how much their size and weight contributed to the tone they got.

Quote Originally Posted by dan in va View Post
    No answer from Carter's on the old Monroe fretboard, but Walter was kind enough to let me know the July 9th 1923 F5 for sale has a nut width of 1.058", which is a little smaller than the board (including binding) which measures 1.087" at the nut.
    Not to pick on Walter, but a pet peeve of mine lately has been people referring to measurements in thousandths of an inch -- WHICH BASICALLY TELLS ME NOTHING -- without getting my calculator out and doing the conversion. I know, I know, he is just reading from a digital caliper..........but, for 60 years we have talked in terms of fractions of inches, 1 1/16 inches, 1 1/8 inches, 1 3/16 inches for example -- people, please don't make it that hard. Especially when a potential sale is at stake. I see this tomfoolery on eBay all the time, picturing a digital caliper next to the guitar nut! Same goes with millimeters, yuck! Same goes with cell phones, yuck! Same goes with..........oops, bedtime.

19. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Bobby Osborne has a heafty hand and his late 20's Fern does have a bit more width than Loars. I'd worry more about how the overall neck/fingerboard feel to you than what others say it feels to them.

21. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post:

Blog Entries

Exactly Tom, I've played quite a few old 5's "not nearly as many as some of you guys" But ya have to check the overall neck picture! some have different shapes as well, some not to comfy! I ran into this when I was playing a few 30's F-5's, one from 37 had such a big V type neck well I sure didn't get that one, plus it needed some serious work, necksets aint cheap! I was lucky on my 36 fern, I got it unseen pretty much but trusted the seller by telling him what I like in a neck and he was spot on and I love the neck on the 36! A club neck may be fine if your Monroe or the big man DUFFEY but even Duffey's old 7 conversion has a small round neck!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Not to pick on Walter, but a pet peeve of mine lately has been people referring to measurements in thousandths of an inch -- WHICH BASICALLY TELLS ME NOTHING -- without getting my calculator out and doing the conversion. I know, I know, he is just reading from a digital caliper..........but, for 60 years we have talked in terms of fractions of inches, 1 1/16 inches, 1 1/8 inches, 1 3/16 inches for example -- people, please don't make it that hard. Especially when a potential sale is at stake. I see this tomfoolery on eBay all the time, picturing a digital caliper next to the guitar nut! Same goes with millimeters, yuck! Same goes with cell phones, yuck! Same goes with..........oops, bedtime.
    I agree Jeff. This digital crap in photography, recording, and measurement is a whole lot of what is wrong with the world.

24. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

Unrelated to this discussion, but another pet peeve I have that I see often online is folks making reference to the action at the 12th fret on guitars as being 5/64th of an inch on the big E and 4/64th of an inch on the lil E............c'mon people who ever heard of 4/64th's -- you always reduce the fraction, right? It should be 1/16th! Simple. Sometimes, (well, daily, in fact) I just shake my head and think where in the world did these people go to school???????????

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

Point of order..
    The introduction of the thousandth of an inch ( 0.001 “ )as a sensible base unit in engineering and machining was introduced around 1844, it continues to be universally used in North American manufacturing where specifications of certain products are important …
    Unless of course a more exact unit of measurement is required … Then you bump over another decimal place to ten-thousandsth’s of an inch ( 0.0001)..
    Beyond that you go to microns…. which we can all agree…. are just plain silly..

Measuring in thousandth's of an inch is the appropriate way to document
    Monroe's Loar ...most here would agree it is an item of some importance..

28. The following members say thank you to mandotool for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Unrelated to this discussion, but another pet peeve I have that I see often online is folks making reference to the action at the 12th fret on guitars as being 5/64th of an inch on the big E and 4/64th of an inch on the lil E............c'mon people who ever heard of 4/64th's -- you always reduce the fraction, right? It should be 1/16th! Simple. Sometimes, (well, daily, in fact) I just shake my head and think where in the world did these people go to school???????????
    While I understand taking a fraction to it's lowest denominator, and I do it in other ways, I tend to make my measurements in 32's. I reference to that as it is what I am familiar with and use. So instead of saying 1/16 I will say 2/32. My ruler has 32's on the edge and it is easier and more accurate for measurements, I have gotten accustom to it. I have also been know to use 2.5/32 instead of 3/64. Since I would have to find a different place on my ruler that is not as easy or impossible to use to be able to use 64's I stay with what I am reading on the ruler. If I say 2.5 it is not exactly accurate as I am eyeballing the half way, but works for me.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

[QUOTE=mandotool;1593451]Point of order..
    The introduction of the thousandth of an inch ( 0.001 “ )as a sensible base unit in engineering and machining was introduced around 1844, it continues to be universally used in North American manufacturing where specifications of certain products are important …
    Unless of course a more exact unit of measurement is required … Then you bump over another decimal place to ten-thousandsth’s of an inch ( 0.0001)..
    Beyond that you go to microns…. which we can all agree…. are just plain silly..
    Measuring in thousandth's of an inch is the appropriate way to document Monroe's Loar ...most here would agree it is an item of some importance..[/QUOT

My Dad was a machinist he never would have said one thousandth it was ten ten thousandth. When talking minute measurement it was always ten thousandths. He was also a musician and if asked the width of a mandolin nut he would have said an inch and an eighth. The term used was dependent on how precise a measurement was needed. He would never have said he needed a five hundred ten thousandth sheet of plywood.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Truck-Rollover-Warning-Sign-X-W1-13.gif 
Views:	176 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	159833

This thread has taken some sharp turns!
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post: