Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone ever heard of a GILLETTE microphone?

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Default Re: Anyone ever heard of a GILLETTE microphone?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    "... the limited number of cabinets made for Gillette before they fell on hard times."
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Difficult to do a Google search because besides all the Gillette razor information clouding the results...
    Presence of a product name can cloud other products in people's minds as well, and there were probably more razor users than audio gadget users at the time. Maybe there is a reason for hard times, apart from the Depression?
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Blog Entries

Alfred Gillette Holcombe, of Southampton, Hampshire county, Massachusetts filed a patent for a different microphone on May 16, 1900 which was granted as US666677 A (29 Jan 1901) it was filed on behalf of Alfred Goodrich Holcombe (deceased by then)

I'd be inclined to chase the NY patent office records or any Mass. company records looking to see if he pops up with more designs. He could have been using his second name as a brand continuing his deceased relative's activity.

Here's a pic for curiosity value
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2047.PNG 
Views:	103 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	160042
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Blog Entries

I don't know how much you can infer from his signature but it uses a lot of shared traits with the branding on the mic in question;

Attachment 160044
    Attachment 160045
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Difficult to do a Google search because besides all the Gillette razor information clouding the results, there is also Mic Gillette from Tower of Power (RIP) who has a huge online presence. I'm guessing the information is out there, but you probably will never be able to access it for those reasons. I tried changing the search to: Gillette mic, Gillette microphone, Gillette ribbon microphone, Gillette studio microphone, Gillette recording microphone, Gillette broadcast microphone, vintage Gillette microphone -- all with basically no luck.
    Yep..that's pretty much explains most of my search so far. Will try looking deeper than the 5th result page.

I received an email from Joseph Paquette today (Robert's Paquette's son and President of Select Sound Service). He said he talked to his father about the Gillette microphone that I have. He said it was the first time he has seen him stumped on a microphone. Robert said he has never heard of a Gillette and was surprised to see one. He really liked how it looked and said he wished he had one. He said if I ever find any further information on it to pass it along to him.

If Robert and Joseph havent heard of the mike then it really makes me think it must have been a prototype.

6. The following members say thank you to MJM and RSC for this post:

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Cool. How does it sound?

I found this in Google Patents since the mic has a reference to a patent.
    Number US666677A: Arrangements for obtaining desired frequency or directional characteristics for obtaining desired directional characteristic only by using a single transducer with sound reflecting, diffracting, directing or guiding means in which sound waves act upon both sides of a diaphragm and incorporating acoustic phase-shifting means, e.g. pressure-gradient microphone. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	US666677-0.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	160367ALFRED GOODRIGH HOLCOMBE, Decd. ALFRED GILLETTE HULGOMBE. Administrator.

Quote Originally Posted by MJM and RSC View Post
    I received an email from Joseph Paquette today (Robert's Paquette's son and President of Select Sound Service). He said he talked to his father about the Gillette microphone that I have. He said it was the first time he has seen him stumped on a microphone. Robert said he has never heard of a Gillette and was surprised to see one. He really liked how it looked and said he wished he had one. He said if I ever find any further information on it to pass it along to him.

If Robert and Joseph havent heard of the mike then it really makes me think it must have been a prototype.
    Whoa....
    Have you seen the Paquette microphone book??
    An absolutely amazing documentation of mostly American mics....about 3" thick.

It's on my bucket list to visit their museum in Milwaukee--glad to hear they are still around...

Name:	1115_Bob-Paquette_microphone-museum_V0A0179_v2_FINAL_Morris.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	258.7 KB 
ID:	160374

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spruce For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    Whoa....

It's on my bucket list to visit their museum in Milwaukee--glad to hear they are still around...

I have heard of the documentation and of Robert Paquette. From what I understand, Roberts is the worlds foremost expert on vintage mics. So, I was pretty excited to see an email from his son Joseph. Thought for sure I would finally find info on the mic. Looks like Joseph carries the company president title. I would guess that Robert is retired but still a go to person for knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    Whoa....

Holy cats! Just looked up their address--they're just down the street from my office. Looks like a lunchtime trip is in order.
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats

I've heard of Gillette microphones but had never seen one before. This is a nice find. I agree with them that it looks like a ribbon to me.
    "All music is folk music, i ain't never heard no horse sing a song"- Louie Armstrong

Eastman md-314
    Eastman md-615
    Martin D-35
    Takamine gd-20ns
    pre-war German "Stradivarius" violin