Thread: Ignaz Pleyel: "Six petits duos" (1806)

Default Ignaz Pleyel: "Six petits duos" (1806)

Following the recent discussion of Victor's excellent Rondo Galante based on a Pleyel theme, I've had another look at Pleyel's violin duos.

I'm not the first to note that Pleyel's "Six petits duos" (Op. 8) translate very nicely to mandolin. The Rondo from the second duo was included in the mandolin methods of Bickford and, more recently, Marilynn Mair. The fourth duo was expanded into a mandolin quartet arrangement by Ernst Lindenberg for Hofmeister, and recorded by Alex Timmermann's Embergher Mandolin Quartet (Link). I've recorded both of these myself in the past (No. 2 Rondo, No. 4 Allego-Romanza-Rondo).

I've now also tried out the opening Allegro from Duo No. 2, and the entirety of Duo No. 3, both played on my vintage bowlbacks.

Mandolin 1: 1890s Umberto Ceccherini
    Mandolin 2: 1915 Luigi Embergher

These are good fun on mandolin -- indeed having listened to some of the many violin versions on Youtube, I think they may work better on mandolin than on violin. They're all first position, and therefore pretty approachable, although not necessarily what I would call "easy". Scores and parts are at IMSLP:

http://imslp.org/wiki/6_Duos,_B.538-543_(Pleyel,_Ignaz)

Ignaz Pleyel (1757-1831): Six Duos For 2 Violins (1806)
    Duo No. 3 in A Minor and A Major, B.540
    1. Allegro 0:00
    2. Andantino grazioso 4:19

Duo No. 2 in G. Major, B.538
    1. Allegro

Martin

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Ignaz Pleyel: "Six petits duos" (1806)

I'm not sure anybody else is listening to these (except Evelyn -- thanks!), but I'm enjoying the Pleyel duos. Here is another one I've tried over the weekend, this one in three movements including one of Pleyel's elegant rondos:

Ignaz Pleyel (1757-1831): Six Duos For 2 Violins (1806)
    No. 5 in D Major, B.542
    1. Allegro 0:00
    2. Andante 4:16
    3. Rondo 5:56

Mandolin 1: 1890s Umberto Ceccherini
    Mandolin 2: 1915 Luigi Embergher

Illustrated with various art of the Napoleonic era.

Martin

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Ignaz Pleyel: "Six petits duos" (1806)

Nice pickin', Martin!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jonas View Post
    I'm not sure anybody else is listening to these...
    Summertime always seems to get fewer views. At least that's been my limited experience, FWIW.

As to reading posts here, I usually use the "Quick Links" > "Today's Posts" (Posts From Last Day) to keep up with posts here on this site. Works good *except* for when I get behind and miss several days' worth of posts.

For instance, over the July 4th holiday I didn't check this website for several days, so by the time I got back to it, the "Today's Posts" didn't cover all the days I'd missed.

The alternative, manually clicking through each and every of the many MandolinCafe forums and subforums to find all the new posts, well I tend to just not do that, so when I get behind I usually just let it go. Who knows what all I've missed.

As to your tunes, Martin, I finally went ahead and subscribed to your YouTube channel so I don't miss cool tunes. I've learned some really great tunes from your videos.

6. The following members say thank you to Jess L. for this post: