Thread: Can't describe G string tone

Default Can't describe G string tone

I furtherance of my mandolin instrument (vs. playing) education, there is a tonal quality on the G string of almost any import that I can only characterize as a lack of richness. It is the only reason I no longer have my Eastman 505.

When I was at TMS last spring, I played up the ladder in the Eastman and Kentucky lines, and all had this quality until the master model Kentuckys. Moving up to the likes of Gibson, Weber, and Northfield, the G string improved dramatically, and is the first thing I listen for when trying out a mandolin.

Now over time and many hours, my cheapo MK has improved a lot. It will never turn into Cinderella, but is better than new. Now I'd be interested in the opinions of someone buying a new upper end mandolin like Eastman's 815, as to how it has changed over time. I know no one with a 10 or 20 year old nicer Pac Rim instrument to ask, and the used Eastman or Kentuckys I've played were only a couple of years old and looked like closet queens.

Has anyone Mando Voodooed one and had a richer G string experience?
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

2. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Default Re: Can't describe G string tone

Of the Pac-Rims I have played, leaving out Northfield, the only ones I played that had a strong G, was a Kentucky 1000 (have not played a 1500). I have not been impressed with the higher number Eastmans. The best I have played as far as G string was the five hundred series. But to me, the bass strings of the Eastmans do not compare with the higher lvl Kentuckys. This is just my opinion.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Br1ck,
    I have the same feeling. I had an 815V Eastman that just sounded dull on the G string, while a 514 I had was a great sounding G, (should never have sold it, sell it back to me please) I've also noticed the same on other Eastmans, Loars and Kentucky's. That being said, I played an 814 at McCabes last week, new model that almost had me grabbing my wallet, it was a GREAT sounding mando, huge low end. I think you have to play them and see

There are a few Eastman dealers around so chances are one will show up.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Want a G? Spend some Gs.

7. The following members say thank you to BrianWilliam for this post:

It took my mandolin years to get the G string where I wanted it. The rest was amazing, but not the G. Now the whole thing is simply wonderful.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I had a 900 series Eastman which was nice mandolin. That was until I played side by side with my Weber Bitteroot,no comparison. The Eastman sounded like lose change rattling around in your pocket compared to the Weber. Maybe you should not buy a Pac rim mandolin if they don't have the sound you are looking for.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nickster60 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nickster60 View Post
    I had a 900 series Eastman which was nice mandolin. That was until I played side by side with my Weber Bitteroot,no comparison. The Eastman sounded like lose change rattling around in your pocket compared to the Weber. Maybe you should not buy a Pac rim mandolin if they don't have the sound you are looking for.
    that's kind of how my 815V went away. I played it side by side with my Lebeda, not even in the same zip code

Quote Originally Posted by nickster60 View Post
    But the Pac rim instruments are afordable and quite good, so we should not dissuade their purchase, but point out that perhaps one should buy something like the 500 series Eastman to enjoy while saving for a dramatic step up.

That step up is to be found in the $1200 and up used A style, be it a Weber, Collings, or any number of luthier builds. That does not stop me from hoping to find "the one" that came off the assembly line sounding wonderful. I doubt that will happen because I own a mandolin whose lower register is richer than rich.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I have had a few of the Pac Rim instruments and they can be pretty good and maybe all most need. I am glad I purchased my Weber there is a difference in workmanship and sound.
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"

I had the same issue/concern with my Eastman 615 and did several things to remedy the problem. I'll first say that I had just purchased it used on eBay for 600$ so buying a different mandolin was not really an option but having played some worn-in Eastmans I knew it had potential. The first and foremost was to play, play, play. There is NO substitution for good old playing-hours on a mandolin and I still think after a good setup, it's the best method for getting a hand-carved all-wood mandolin to open up. That being said my next upgrade was a CA bridge-definitely an improvement in the G afterwards. Got a ToneGard-again this helped some, not a lot. Got a re-fret with oversized EVO gold wire-again an improvement in tone to my ears but only minimal. I also did some mandovoodoo on it as far as tapping the top and listening for "dead spots" areas that tapped out at a different pitch from the rest. I have pretty darn near perfect pitch from playing the fiddle for 20+ years so I was able to determine what areas of the top tapped out differently and using specialized-homemade scrapers i removed a few thousandths of an inch in these areas to get them to better match the top as a whole. I was told by a very highly regarded luthier in my area (who also builds for Stelling) that the back actually has quite a bit to do with bass response in mandolins and thus the G string. I haven't done anything to the back yet as it takes a little while to get the instrument to open back up after removing wood from the top (even a few thousandths of an in.) and I play regularly in a couple bands so can't really take the time. So to get back to the original question-yes there are things you can do with a decent pac-rim instrument to better the sound of the G-string. About the comparison to Weber- I must have been unfortunate with the few Webers I've played because I never thought they sounded all that great when they were new but I'm sure they open up nicely. That being said an Eastman that has been setup well and played in a few years will not disappoint.
    "All music is folk music, i ain't never heard no horse sing a song"- Louie Armstrong

Eastman md-314
    Eastman md-615
    Martin D-35
    Takamine gd-20ns
    pre-war German "Stradivarius" violin

Not to run down any make mandolin but I have played about 15 Eastmans and never found one that had a good bluegrass sound, it could be that they were on display at a festival and might not have had a decent set up but at the same time I have played a few Kentuckys that sounded awesome for bluegrass...Good sound on all of the G string on the Ky`s...I do own a KM-956 and it is a great Pac Rim mandolin...

Willie

There is a sonic signature each company has, and the Kentucky is very much going for a bluegrass tone IMHO.

While I could happily live with a Collings guitar or mandolin, I just do not prefer that tone. If I were going to spend that kind of money, it would probably be spent on another brand.

I'm glad some of you with Pac Rim instruments are chiming in. I'd love to get my hands on an old made in Japan master Kentucky.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I have a friend who owns an Eastman 515 that has absolutely killer bluegrass sound. But he has played the fire out of that thing and it looks it too. I used to own a 505 that was a great mandolin but not really for bluegrass. They're all different.

Even Look Alike , mass produced Mandolins , can vary in their tone, and resonance ,
    just naming brand and model are not going to guarantee the sound will match the sample you may have tried.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture