Thread: Godin A8: Playability?

Default Godin A8: Playability?

I purchased a Godin A8 mandolin about four years ago (mine has the adjustable saddle), and have really loved how easy it is to dial in live. Lately however, I am been finding it difficult to to do certain chords and have them really ring through the PA. The action is fine but I am struggling with playing this mandolin. There's a slight bow in the wooden saddle, which makes me think that medium gauge strings are too much. However, this is what Godin recommends and I doubt this is impacting the playability.

I am just wondering if others struggled with this mandolin? I hear and see mandolin players using it all of the time and doing normal mandolin style playing and it sounds great. I just find I struggle a bit and the plugged in tone is't always fantastic.

Wasn't sure if I should post this in the electric section but I am more curious about the overall playability.

Default Re: Godin A8: Playability?

I recently got an A8 off Craig's List. It takes some getting used to, especially with the flat fingerboard. Haven't played it enough to make any general comments about playability. But I am surprised about what seems to be a lack of sustain. I tried futzing with effects -- reverb, delay, chorus, etc. Didn't see any bow in the saddle.

I'd be interesed in hearing what cafe members have to say about playability and sustain.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty18 View Post
    I purchased a Godin A8 mandolin about four years ago (mine has the adjustable saddle), and have really loved how easy it is to dial in live. Lately however, I am been finding it difficult to to do certain chords and have them really ring through the PA. The action is fine but I am struggling with playing this mandolin. There's a slight bow in the wooden saddle, which makes me think that medium gauge strings are too much. However, this is what Godin recommends and I doubt this is impacting the playability.

I am just wondering if others struggled with this mandolin? I hear and see mandolin players using it all of the time and doing normal mandolin style playing and it sounds great. I just find I struggle a bit and the plugged in tone is't always fantastic.

Wasn't sure if I should post this in the electric section but I am more curious about the overall playability.
    I've been playing an A8 for a little over a year and haven't really noticed any struggle just some fatigue but I chalk that up to playing it for 2-3 hrs at a time I never play my acoustic that long of stretch. What chords are you having trouble with ? I play the 4 finger chop chords and open position chords nothing fancy mostly country/rock/folk stuff. There's a lot to like about the A8 but if you don't jive with it and you can play those chords on another mando. get rid of it. My only beef with A8 is it's not a Gibson F9 with a K&K in it !
    Lou

I borrowed one for a couple of weeks whilst a friend went on holiday. I'm not usually one to be critical about playability as I have guitars and mandolins with widely differing neck shapes and sizes but I really didn't like the neck on the Godin - perhaps you've found the same?

I had the prior, fixed bridge version.. bolt on neck was easy to shim to lower the action.

I simply slipped 4 flat washers in , between body & neck .. then put the screw thru them ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I did buy this mandolin used so I often wonder if there was a reason why it was being sold (issue with the saddle). I just find that even on my cheap Epiphone mandolin, I am able to make chords ring out better and even the Fishman pickup seems to sound better than the pickup on the A8. This is a pretty respected instrument though so maybe it's just me.

Have the fixed bridge too. Took the neck off to shim. Found a piece of folded sandpaper factory had use to shim the neck. So I just used some folded aluminum foil and worked just fine. Just the most comfortable old friend now. Practice every Thursday night. A run thru of the song set early Sunday morning. Then play two services. It wakes up sometimes on the second song, mostly about halfway thru the third song. Then just hums along so fine the rest of the time. The neck shape is the best for me. Especially when Arthur Wrightus comes to visit. When that happens, a little Aleve and we make some music.

Just to clarify, I have the adjustable bridge model. Maybe it is the flat fretboard that's bugging me. With light strings it sounds to hi-fi plugged in but with medium gauge the saddle bows a bit.

Just to clarify, I have the adjustable bridge model. Maybe it is the flat fretboard that's bugging me. With light strings it sounds to hi-fi plugged in but with medium gauge the saddle bows a bit.
    what does that mean?"sounds to hi fi" I used heavy strings and it was fine,but found that light strings were better.As for the neck,it takes some getting used to,kind of like a classical guitar neck compared to a radius guitar neck.

Quote Originally Posted by mandolinstew View Post
    what does that mean?"sounds to hi fi" I used heavy strings and it was fine,but found that light strings were better.As for the neck,it takes some getting used to,kind of like a classical guitar neck compared to a radius guitar neck.
    I think four years of using it live is enough to get used to the neck, that's not really it. I more so find that chords just don't ring out, even when I really press down on the strings. As for hi-fi, thing of too much treble, not enough bass.

I think four years of using it live is enough to get used to the neck, that's not really it. I more so find that chords just don't ring out, even when I really press down on the strings. As for hi-fi, thing of too much treble, not enough bass.
    im not following the chord sound problem but is it possible the PA your playing thru is a problem or is the same problem unplugged ? I'm playing through a Fishman Loudbox and chords sound fine. I know what you mean about the treble thing it took me awhile with using the EQ on the mando and amp to get rid of that overpowering treble. Also make sure your EQ sliders are working as they should mine needed a cleaning and that helped mine is probably 6-7 years old.

Maybe it's just the weather.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I had one for a couple years and I liked it a lot. I never had any playability issues. I just found that my America ff with a K&K sounded better. The A8 doesn't have great tone or volume when unplugged so you can't expect a miracle when plugged in.
    Living’ in the Mitten

I used one onstage for 10 years and never had a problem with it. I always thought that the neck and fingerboard could have been better.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ostrander View Post
    I had one for a couple years and I liked it a lot. I never had any playability issues. I just found that my America ff with a K&K sounded better. The A8 doesn't have great tone or volume when unplugged so you can't expect a miracle when plugged in.
    One of the other members of my group uses an Eastman mandolin with the K&K pickup. To be honest, it always gets lost in the mix. That's the upgrade I was considering but I am not sure if I am as in love with the K&K as others. I might take my A8 to a luthier and see what they say, maybe something is not right.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric C. View Post
    Maybe it's just the weather.

Could you explain? I assume you mean the neck is potentially bowed but I usually do my own set ups and the mandolin looks fine, other than the slight bow in the saddle. That part is a bit weird, it's as if the A8 cannot handle medium gauge strings.