Thread: Whiskey in the Jar origin

Default Whiskey in the Jar origin

Hello all! So I'm a beginner, and one of the first songs I came about when learning was Whiskey in the Jar by Dublineers, does anybody know the origins of this song? I have researched it and some places have suggested it can be traced back to the 18th C! Any information regarding the origins of this song would be very interesting to me, thank you!

Default Re: Whiskey in the Jar origin

I'd think it's very likely 18th century, or earlier. The reference to pistols that have to be "charged" means that they're quite clearly flintlock pistols, which were becoming obsolete by the early 19th century.
    And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis

3. The following members say thank you to s1m0n for this post:

Default Re: Whiskey in the Jar origin

I can confirm that it's history dates back to 1973 and Thin Lizzy

Seriously a bit of detail here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey_in_the_Jar

The song's origins come from the traditional folk song "The Highwayman and the Captain" sung in the outskirts of the town of Edinburgh. In 1967, the Irish folk band The Beasley Brothers rewrote the song as Whiskey in a Jar and incorporated their own twist to the lyrics and melody.

5. The following members say thank you to OneChordTrick for this post: