Thread: A Style Straps

Default A Style Straps

What's the best way (or your preferred way) to attach the below type of strap to an A style? It's 46" long, and every way I try, it ends up too short for me. I'm a regular size person, about 6'. I haven't yet tried the tie-on strap. Is that the way to go? Will the tie-on increase the risk of scratches? If I go that way, where to tie and what type of knot?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

Thanks.

Default Re: A Style Straps

I have a home made strap which is similar to your picture. I have a flat fabric tie instead of the string. I have mine under the strings just beyond the nut. It has been there for a while now and I have noticed no scratches.

Blog Entries

If you have an A style with elevated keyboard, you can run use the cord and run it under the keyboard extension and around the neck.

See just about any of Baron Collins-Hill's videos at mandolessons.com. This one for example:
    http://www.mandolessons.com/lessons/...line-the-baker

He has that same strap - it is a good strap for the money in my opinion. I have one, too. The cord included with the strap may be too short, but you can probably find a shoelace or a leather bootlace or something.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Blog Entries

I tie up just above the nut. Like a small guitar.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Here's a Pinegove leather (UK)MS50 strap. I use one on my Ellis "A" style. They're good straps & easily adjustable for length. No financial interest here,just a satisfied user of a good,well made strap,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rod's MS50 Mando.Strap.JPG 
Views:	1726 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	159381Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strap (4).JPG 
Views:	725 
Size:	328.8 KB 
ID:	159382
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

First try just putting the strap over your shoulder not your back the way Monroe played it.

Then, take a look at this thread.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    If you have an A style with elevated keyboard, you can run use the cord and run it under the keyboard extension and around the neck.

See just about any of Baron Collins-Hill's videos at mandolessons.com. This one for example:
    http://www.mandolessons.com/lessons/...line-the-baker

He has that same strap - it is a good strap for the money in my opinion. I have one, too. The cord included with the strap may be too short, but you can probably find a shoelace or a leather bootlace or something.
    I just received one of the planet waves straps today. At first I thought there wasn't much to it and then I got it installed and adjusted, my playing improved almost immediately. I ran the chord under the end if the fretboard at the body and it works well. My strap is like the one in the first post picture.

I put a strap button at the base of the heel on the treble (floor) side. It keeps the mandolin balanced and in place, and doesn't interfere with my left hand. I found putting it around the nut area often squeezed my index finger. An example can be seen in this photo: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kemnitzer.strap.button.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	159399

B381 - How do you wear your strap - over one shoulder or around your back ?. I ask because i bought a Planet Waves strap years ago,& it was far too short to use around my back. I wonder if they make 2 lengths ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    B381 - How do you wear your strap - over one shoulder or around your back ?. I ask because i bought a Planet Waves strap years ago,& it was far too short to use around my back. I wonder if they make 2 lengths ?,
    Ivan
    I wear it around my back, traditional guitar style and I had to go one hole from the end so there's about 4" of strap past the button. The other end I attached around the base of the neck at the body instead of the neck. Works well and I'm a bigger guy (think football type).

11. The following members say thank you to B381 for this post:

My first thought was that the Planet Waves strap was cheap and short, and probably a better fit for a ukulele. But after looking at the Elderly site options, the Planet Waves strap (at 46") was on the longer end, with the Elder straps shorter than 46".

I want my strap to be under the neck, near the body (not the headstock). That way, when/if I someday upgrade to an F style, it won't feel much different. But when I tried that position with only the leather piece, it rested too high for me because the strap just isn't quite long enough. So then I tried putting it on my right shoulder, and not around my neck. That worked better positionally, but wasn't comfortable. Finally, I put the tie-on cord under the neck, around the body, then looped the leather strap through that. For the endpin, I had to use the second hole on the strap instead of the first. Doing that, the position vertically is great for me. And it feels comfortable. It's the same setup as mentioned above by a few posters. This will work well until the leather loosens and stretches; but the cord has 4 holes, so I should be able to adjust for that when the time comes.

Thanks, everyone for the input.

B381 / daveclt - Thanks for the info.It does seem as though Planet Waves makes 2 lengths of strap. The one i bought was far too short to wear around my back. I tried it over my right shoulder but it felt in danger of slipping off all the time. Watching the guys who play like that,they always seem to be pulling on the mandolin to keep the strap on their shoulder. It works fine for some folk,but not for me,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    B381 / daveclt - Thanks for the info.It does seem as though Planet Waves makes 2 lengths of strap. The one i bought was far too short to wear around my back. I tried it over my right shoulder but it felt in danger of slipping off all the time. Watching the guys who play like that,they always seem to be pulling on the mandolin to keep the strap on their shoulder. It works fine for some folk,but not for me,
    Ivan
    I initially thought mine was way too short as well, until I made the adjustments mentioned above. My leather strap is 46" end to end.

On the other hand, I did read some reviews on Amazon with pictures that showed Planet Waves shipped them the wrong strap. Maybe that happened with you.

rawhide, hangmans noose; simple and adjustable

daveclt - My Planet Waves strap was nothing like 46" long. At that length it would have been fine. I bought mine from a music stall at a UK Bluegrass festival. As i'd only just started playing,i didn't have my mandolin with me,i was still hauling my banjo around,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.