Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tried out a fiine Distressed Master Model F-5 at Music Emporium

Default Re: Tried out a fiine Distressed Master Model F-5 at Music Empori

I can address several questions I saw in this thread. First, Charlie signed the MM series until the end of 2014 when he was replaced as GM of the bluegrass division. Danny and Charlie and the team continued to check and approve of each of the MM and DMM mandolins, but Danny signed them through 2005. After that he's was a manager for me in he repair and restoration division. He stayed there until a short time ago when he left GIBSON. Danny signed most of the mandolins except the MM and DMM before Charlie left. In that era, every mandolin was inspected by Danny and others to ensure they each met the expectations of the division. Charlie was wonderful to work with, but his expectations were high.

As to the process and difference from the MM to the DMM, it has been explained several times over the years. There was a great deal of time and labor put into the DMM to achieve a andolin that would replicate as close as possible a Loar era instrument in a modern build. We would select the very best of the MM's (according to our taste), then it would be finished completely to the new specs, including buffing and hardware. Then it would be chosen to be distressed. That process was slow, and required many hours of all hand work until it achieved what was being sought. Each one was distressed a bit different from any others so they would not be a factory job. When it reached the point we were all satisfied, then it was considered complete. All the Gibson mandolins were hand built, but the MM were different and handled by a select few in the build and finish process. The DMM was selected from the MM and then put in the hands of a very few of us to approve a particular instrument chosen for the DMM project and its completion. It was far more than a marketing ploy and was a passionate project for many of us. There were so few MM and DMM mandolins produced in that era so that it was not really a profitable instrument, but allowed us to build what we believe was the most Loar instrument made since Loar was at Gibson. Most of the process of the build was very much the same as was done then. We also had the advantage of having seen and played a majority of ghetto real Loar mandolins. That helped our perspective.

Everyone who plays mandolin has their own idea of what makes a great mandolin. Many of us had worked with Charlie for many years and understood his vision and worked to bring that to fruition. By the time he passed,( in 2006) most of us were no longer in the bluegrass division and much of Charlie's vision was less than completely understood and another era of Gibson mandolins began. Dave Harvey finally became the signer of the mandolins. Dave worked with us during Charlie's era and understood it. He also has his ideas of what he wants to build, and David is a gifted luthier. While his instruments may differ slightly from the Charlie era, they are great mandolins. Charlie was very particular in what we produced. He was open to innovation as long as it did not distract from the goal he had. We experimented with a lot of things in those years, most of which never went into production. Some became one off builds and were great instruments, but not in the focus of Charlie to replicate the Loar era. It wa a joy to work with Charlie every day, which I did for many years. I have missed him every day since his passing eleven years ago in just a couple days. Our team was pure joy to be with and we could not wait to get to work in the morning, and we often put in lots of extra hours. It was more than a job, it was a passion. Now that I've been retired a few years, I look back on those days as some of my best. I would love to redo those days. Not only those I worked with, but the thousands of people I met over the years at shows and festivals all over the USA.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Big Joe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    I question the fact, given that some DMMs have the new flowerpot and others that the old flowerpot. Same headstock size & shape.
    I have one of each and they are on the same sized headstock. So yeah, the new style that I have anyway, does fit fine. Thanks to Joe Vest for clearing up some things about the DMM. If he had said this before, I didn't see it.

2005 was a great year for Gibson mandolins. Thanks, Charlie.
    Mike Snyder

About 5 years ago, at Grey Fox, a person had a DMM prototype they brought to our mandolin gathering. It was even for sale on here at the time. I must say, it was one of the nicest playing and sounding mandolins I've ever played.

I'm not sure anyone will relate to this, but I'll try and express something. I bought a DMM because, a) I could afford to put some money aside in a mandolin at the time, and b) having played as many mandolins as I could for a couple of years, I found that among the Gibsons, all the DMMs sounded... the way I wanted to sound. A few of the Master Models did, but I liked ALL of the DMMs that I played or heard - maybe 4-6. I was buying a used instrument, and so risking at least the shipping costs if I didn't like the instrument.

At the time, there were a lot of posts about minute details of the distressing on the DMMs. And the general state of Gibson's mandolin production had been closely examined for years. Much more than now - back when Charlie Derrington and Joe Vest were very active 'insiders' who posted here regularly. (search their names if the subject interests you)

And now to my point - I can't speak for others, but I find that my appreciation of small details and even some conspicuous ones, fade over the years that I own an instrument. (I've been buying and selling guitars and mandolins since I was a kid in the 1970s). When shopping, I might focus on the details of inlay and figured wood - but as time goes by, that fades almost entirely, replaced by the overall look and feel and sound of the instrument. I just don't spend much time examining the headstock inlay of my own instrument. The whole distressed thing may be as trivial to lots of folks as 'pre-washed jeans', but it really does have a different overall look and feel that I wouldn't achieve in a new instrument for decades. (I'm not a pro who averages many hours per day)

Having said that, Joe and Charlie believed that the process had an effect on the sound of the instrument - something I am in no position to judge. I recently had these three instruments at the house, when a couple of friends came by, DMM - Loar - Wiens. I personally liked the 'feel' of the naturally distressed Loar and the DMM. But all are terrific instruments and I would feel very lucky to own any of them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BK - DW - DB 02.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	372.0 KB 
ID:	159721

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BK - DW - DB 03.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	363.3 KB 
ID:	159722
    Last edited by BradKlein; Aug-01-2017 at 11:14am.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Good on you Brad!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

9. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
    About 5 years ago, at Grey Fox, a person had a DMM prototype they brought to our mandolin gathering. It was even for sale on here at the time. I must say, it was one of the nicest playing and sounding mandolins I've ever played.
    Hey I think that was mine, I want that back...