Thread: Jesse Mcreynolds 'I Don't Love Nobody'

Default Jesse Mcreynolds 'I Don't Love Nobody'

Hi all,

I'd really like to learn Jesse Mcreynolds' crosspicking part to 'I Don't Love Nobody'. I gather that the tab was featured on the out-of-print Andy Statman book - but that seems to be hundreds of dollars to buy. There is a Youtube video of someone else playing it but way too fast for me to pick out individual notes? Anyone know of any tab floating around somewhere? Would be eternally grateful

Cheers,
    Oliver

Default Re: Jesse Mcreynolds 'I Don't Love Nobody'

I am not a tab reader but I just don`t think tabs could be made to show anyone how to cross pick,,,It takes a lot of practice and what I have found is that if you learn to just pick the melody first and then find a key that will allow you to hold down the strings that are harmonizing with the melody notes then use a stroke of one down on the lead note and two up on the harmony notes...As I say it is not something that just comes out of the blue sky, you have to work at if, What amazes me is that Jesse does in sometimes in the key of F.....He also has long fingers and that allows him to stretch to get the harmony notes and some times they are just a "drone" note...much like the fifth string on a banjo...

Good luck with this, I have been cross picking for a few years and still struggle with it...Also it doesn`t fit every song...if you do find the style try picking some slow songs and then speed them up until you get the feel...

Willie

Default Re: Jesse Mcreynolds 'I Don't Love Nobody'

Thanks Willie, I managed to sort it in the end.

Yeah it's tough; I'm working hard at the guitar and mandolin cross-picking. As you say, listening to Jesse cross pick in F is something else! The practise really pays off though, it really fills out a break nicely!