Thread: New to mandolin, advice on starting

Default New to mandolin, advice on starting

I've decided I want to learn to play the mandolin. I played classical piano for many years, but have never played a string instrument. First and foremost, I'm looking for recommendations on an entry level mandolin in the sub $600 range that is still well made. I'm mostly interested in playing folk music and blue grass, but am open to other genres. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tim

Default Re: New to mandolin, advice on starting

Most people (myself included) will tell you that you will get more mandolin for your money if you go with an A-style versus an F-style. I also started with classical piano (have played for 52 years,) this puts you ahead of the game in that you can read music in learning mandolin. Mandolins are tuned like violins (same tuning low to high, but with 2 pairs of each note.) Usual recommendations are Kentucky, Loar LM 220, and Eastman. I don't know where you are located, but if you could try them out to see if you like how they sound, you may prefer one to another. It was a blessing and a curse for me to be musically oriented, I started with a Loar LM 220, and it was (and is) just fine for what it is (a starter instrument to see if I liked mandolin,) but I became dissatisfied with the tone (not complex and "rich" enough) pretty quickly and upgraded. Enjoy the learning!!! And welcome!!!

Blog Entries

I would try and borrow or rent a mandolin for a month or so. See if you like it. If you do you can still spend your budget, and maybe even budget a little more. If you don't you haven't risked a lot of money and don't have the darn thing hanging around the rest of your life.

Also it will give you a little experience before you purchase which will result in better questions and informed preferences.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I'd look in the classifieds every day and buy the first solid wood mandolin from Kentucky, The Loar, or Eastman that came up for sale. Then I'd get Rob Meldrum's free e book on setup and make some measurements to see if it has a proper setup.

You will not loose anything if you decide it's not for you.

You can also buy a nice mandolin for your budget new from a sponsor here, or a blem that comes up every once in a while.

If you can play some mandolins go ahead, but general music stores usually don't have them set up.

A Kentucky KM 150 is a can't go wrong for under $400 from a cafe sponsor.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

As a newbie myself, I would suggest calling either The Mandolin Store or Folkmuscian. Both are experts in the field of mandolins. Either could give you the best options for what you want and need. They also have a reputation for doing expert setups which is critical to making this journey an enjoyable one. Congratulations on your decision to play the mandolin.

Blog Entries

At $600, you can find a very good starter instrument from Asia. As mentioned, Kentucky, The Loar, and Eastman are well liked. If you want more bling for your buck, look for a used instrument of the same name. Also at that price you can probably find a US made flattop new, certainly could find one used. The flattop may not be exactly the thing for bluegrass, but unless you are in a moneymaking band or a particularly snooty jam session, nothing says you can't play bluegrass on it as you learn.

Chances are that if the mandolin bug digs in deep and internalizes, you will move up to a handcrafted mandolin at some point. If you get the best you can now, you will have something to trade. And if the bug is just a passing fancy, you'll have something you can sell.

Come join us in the Newbies social group. See the link in my signature.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

I'd jump on the J Bovier in the classifieds. No experience with them, but those that have them like them.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Have to second the J Bovier recommend. A used Bovier is a great buy in that range. I have one and have compared them to Eastmans, Kentuckys, and Loars. Very happy with my A5 Custom. I also have a Collings MT2O, and understand, there is a huge difference in that price range. But, dang, I play that Bovier every day and grow more and more fond of it.

it's sure fun giving free advice to a mando newbie! LOL!

"A" - kentucky 150
    "F" - loar lm-310f

more important than the mando itself is getting a good setup so it can play as well as it can. either of these mandos could be starters or finishers, lots of dependencies, but either will be up to the task for newbie or pro alike as long as it is set up for the best playability.
    Mandolins are truly *magic*!

Thanks for all of the advice. The Kentucky KM-150 gets recommended a lot here, and other places, but the problem is that nobody has it in stock, or it's back ordered. This seems like a good route, and it gets great reviews, but you can't get what's not available.

I can get out the door at The Mandolin Shop with an Eastman MD 305 A with a set up, hard case, picks, and a strap for about $520. They only have one stand to choose from that looks a little flimsy, so I may get that somewhere else. What are you guy's thoughts on this. The Eastmans seem pretty well regarded.

Thanks,
    Tim

honestly, they're all good in their own ways and you have a lot of required hands-on learning to do. trying before buying is *always* recommended, but most will buy mail order. in terms of tone, there can be a wide gamut from tin tone to a more mellowed mid-range tone. can't tell 'til you hear it, obviously, so if you can't that's a krap shoot. most important will be playability and that *absolutely* requires a setup for string action and intonation. good luck!

I highly recommend dealing with the Mandolin Store (they are where I bought my upgrade "keepers" from,) the mandolin will come set up already, and they are very pleasant to deal with (NFI.) If you mean a stand to put your mandolin on to pause from playing, I got a very nice stand from the Musician's Friend (on-line, NFI) and have been happy with it. I do, however, recommend keeping your mandolin in its case when not playing, prevents accidental damage from the mandolin falling over, getting bumped, etc.

with solid wood instruments, one should also consider instrument humidification in order to help prevent cracks.

Agree with the others on the recommendations. And the need for a good setup.

Depending on how you feel about it, I'd recommend buying used for a first mandolin. That way, if you don't take to it, you will lose less money when you sell. Plus, for the most part, you get more quality for $600 used over $600 new.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

When you say "stand" are you talking about an instrument stand, or a music stand?

You asked about the Eastman 305 -- that's a good mandolin, beginner or not. It has a "modern" neck -- fairly narrow -- and a less tubby old Gibson sound but it's my backup mandolin and it's only the backup because i lucked into an old Gibson. If you have one available, it would be a good starter and probably will carry you through for the first few years. that's my experience.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

When I started, I bought an Eastman MD 505, my thinking was that I would go one step up in expense from the cheapest. I bought a blem from TMS and it was everything I needed. After playing it a while I was much more able to make an informed choice. Any decent playable mandolin will do this for you, including a 305.

Once you can play a bit, try other mandolins. See if a flat fingerboard or bigger frets, or a thicker neck appeals to you. It is a process to discover what your preferred mandolin will be, and even that will change.

For guitar I had gravitated to smaller body, wider fretboard, and twelve fret slotted headstock guitars. One day I picked up a dreadnaught with a skinny little neck and fell in love. Go figure.

I also have succumbed to a scroll.

Point being, your first mandolin is just a starting point, which could be all you ever want or lead to buying a Loar.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

If you like the 305 you'll love the (Eastman) 505, which has better hardware, wood selection, finish and sound. A used one is often available for the same price as a new 305 and as such, is by definition a good buy.