Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which different picks should I try for my first mandolin

Default Re: Which different picks should I try for my first mandolin

@LadysSolo, very good advice ! Because I already know that I will want a F shape soon enough...

Quote Originally Posted by pit lenz View Post
    Try Martins Musikkiste in Germany, he is a nice guy to communicate:
    https://www.martinsmusikkiste.eu/zub...d-grisman-plec
    And
    https://www.martinsmusikkiste.eu/zub...?number=201371
    Cheap and available in Europe...
    Thank you pit lenz !
    I am going to order from this website, they have almost every pick you talked about
    And they also have the Blue Chip, that I will try one day, when I will have more experience with the mando

Ivan Kelsall, thank you ! I am going to try the smooth one !

Why not put your name down on the list for The Travelling Pick Sampler? By the time it comes round you'll have a better feel for your mandolin and a better idea of what sound you're looking for. There's a huge variety of picks in the sampler to try, could be a great learning experience where picks are concerned.
    Paul Shippey Tone Mandolin
    Paul Hathway Octave Mandola
    Montana Lutherie Ranger Mandolin
    Yamaha Stage Custom Drum Kit

4. The following members say thank you to Kalasinar for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Artmusic View Post
    For the Guitar, I am used to light picks but I found out it was easier for me to hold a heavy pick ( I don't know how to hold a guitar pick properly...).
    All the mandolin players here prefer different picks so you will get lots of recommendations. A lot does depend on how you play and what type of music you want to play. I would order a small sampling of picks that you can afford and see what you like.

I would also see if there is anyone who you can either take lessons from or else show you a good way to hold the pick. It may be very different from the way you play guitar, for instance. Same would go for the left (fretting) hand.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    +1 for the Wegen TF140. You might like to try one of the "Dawg" picks. I like to use them late at night so I don't disturb anyone - I have great difficulty trying to coax any sound from a mandolin using one!
    I can't get much out of them either! Seems to work for other people, not me.

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    I also recommend a look at Tortex and Delrin picks. Both good materials and available in a number of thicknesses and shapes. Enjoy the journey. R/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Try the teardrop shaped Primetones. They have more treble response than the triangular ones (i have some). I bought some of the 2.0mm thick Primetones & they do give a more powerful sound,but they also come with more 'pick click' than i care for,so i settled on the 1.5mm ones which i've been using for a long while now,as being the 'best' for me.
    The 1.5mm 'smooth' ones are a tad 'smoother' in tone than the 'gripy' ones (i have both),
    These are a good overall choice. Those big Primetone triangles are popular but I can get a much better sense of finesse with these pick shapes. I use the standard shape Primetones.

Even a bit pointier, perhaps...like the Ultex/ultem with sharp points:

or

I prefer the middle shape. Notice they do make triangle picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    All the mandolin players here prefer different picks so you will get lots of recommendations. A lot does depend on how you play and what type of music you want to play. I would order a small sampling of picks that you can afford and see what you like.

I would also see if there is anyone who you can either take lessons from or else show you a good way to hold the pick. It may be very different from the way you play guitar, for instance. Same would go for the left (fretting) hand.
    Thanks Jim !
    in September, I am going to join a group of musicians playing trad/Irish music for learning classes (mostly violins and some mandolins).
    Since I play about 2 hours a day, I want to try different picks because I feel I could have better ones than what I use right know.
    I feel comfortable using a pick while playing the mandolin. That is not the case with the guitar...

Thank you David !

I'll add my 2 ha'porth (we are going back to lsd after Brexit aren't we?).

I like dava Jazz Grips, and I play mainly folk music, including Irish. I am not keen on big thicker picks on the mandolin, but then I don't do much chording. I also like Dunlop Jazz IIIs in red and Dunlop Tortex picks (tear drop shaped) either orange or green.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

For Irish, if you're getting a Wegen, better to go for the TF100 or TF120.
    I have a couple of TF140s but using them is hard going in long sets of jigs or reels at speed.

You need a more sprightly attack especially for trebles etc.
    Bren

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by derbex View Post
    I'll add my 2 ha'porth (we are going back to lsd after Brexit aren't we?).
    Only 4 farthings? I'll give you 10/6

the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

As usual you got a lot of different answers because all of us like a different sound and we also have different mandolin brands plus strings are different....I carry quite a few picks with me when I go to play because I have found the mandolin sound varies with the weather and then there is the acoustics in the building where we are playing, so many variables that one pick will not suit you at all times...I am constantly changing picks from one day to another. get yourself as many as you can and just keep trying them and even have others play your mandolin while you listen to it and after about 15 years you will come to a conclusion as to which one or ten that you want to use...As you have most likely figured out by now there isn`t a perfect answer to your question...

Good luck and keep at it...

Willie

I've been using a "V-pick Jalapeño" and like the feel, I won the sampler in the contest a year or so back. If I hadn't I'm sure I'd still be using Dunlop lavender 1.5. I have about a gross and a half left in various cases.
    I have also experienced the "weather to pick" climate quandary, having a few options in your pocket (or case) is wise.
    When you find one you like it will just "fit" that's when I quit looking......until next time.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I have order a lot of different picks (wegen, primetone, dawg, dunlop, clayton, golden gate, but stubby, etc.). I will receive them in a week or two.
    I also ordered the book "exploring classical mandolin because I really need to learn techniques !

Hi everyone,

I received my picks today !!! 😁
    My first impression after a few minutes playing (classical music) : love the wegen, primetone triangle 1.5 mm, big stubby 2mm.
    The dawg is just great (and perfect to use late during the evening.)
    The wegen is really my favorite one !
    The other picks I ordered : golden gate, pro plec 1.5, gender medium, big stubby 1mm, clayton triangle 1.20... I prefer them with my acoustic guitar and I am really happy because, now I know I prefer heavier picks for my guitar.
    Tomorrow, I will spend more time playing and trying picks !

Thanks everyone for your help !

16. The following members say thank you to Artmusic for this post: