Thread: Comparing two Mandolas

Default Comparing two Mandolas

As some of you know, I just got a Sobell like short neck mandola from Lawrence Nyberg. I thought a comparison of tone between the Nyberg and the Girouard that I bought about six months ago would be worth while. The Girouard as I have reviewed has a deep, but clear tone. The Nyberg is clear but sounds more bright,, yet full, not brittle. The Nyberg has substantially more sustain than any of my mandolin family instrument. My guess is the large body is the reason. My wife says that it looks like it is on steroids. Because of the big body, I would have thought the Nyberg would have a deeper sound, but the body size seems to have more effect on the sustain. Shows how much I know. The Girouard had a deep warm, not woody sound. Yet, being an f hole instrument, the tone seems focused, with less sustain than the Nyberg. I feel very fortunate to have two really great, yet contrasting mandolas. Both are testaments to their makers.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Default Re: Comparing two Mandolas

Do they have the same scale length ?

Jeff, good question. I am at work so I cannot measure. According to the Nyberg site the neck attaches at the 14th fret and the scale is 17". The Girouard attaches at the 15th fret and I am not sure of the length, but will measure when I get home. The Girouard feels longer, but I am not sure if that is the case until I measure.
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Max responded to an email. The scale of the Girouard is 15.9". So much for longer.
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172