Thread: Value of brazilian rosewood

Default Value of brazilian rosewood

While hunting through a place where I sometimes purchase redwood I stumbled on a couple of pieces of Brazilian. One piece is a slab about 5 ft long x 4 ft wide and close to 4 inches thick! One side is smooth and the other not so much so I'm guessing I could probably net about 3 inches in thickness and be left with a bunch of small pieces. The other piece in a round chunk of log about 20" in diameter and 3 feet long. It's badly weathered on the outside and has obviously been laying around for a very long time. In the real world what,approximately,would that be valued at? This yard is about 5 acres of mostly redwood, cypress and fir laying about exposed in the most haphazardous conditions - a couple of million dollars worth of lumber all going to hell at a pretty alarming rate I figure. The guy makes slab top tables and has supplied me with some custom milled material from time to time. He's no fool ,except in how he treats his material maybe, but he knows what money is. What would be a realistic offer for that stuff before it ends up a coffee table someplace?
    oops! I meant for this to end up in the builders section

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Value of brazilian rosewood

Sounds too good to be true. What ever he asks for it. Look at the prices on Ebay of dreadnought sets for guitar construction. Or some of the other wood suppliers, L.M.I for instance. The other thing to be aware of is the CITES regulations on this particular wood, when did the owner get this wood . Can that person prove it so you have provenance. This could be a fantastic find or an albatross ..... it all depends on circumstances. Good luck. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Quote Originally Posted by barney 59 View Post
    While hunting through a place where I sometimes purchase redwood I stumbled on a couple of pieces of Brazilian.
    How did you ID it?

Mandolin & Mandola maker

As Bruce says, how did you ID it? A slab of Brazilian that large sounds way too good to be true to me. I suspect it is not Brazilian Rosewood.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

The feds have a test but you need an expensive (when I bought mine) Ultra-violet test light , not like the typical ones used for checking for aviation/Automotive oil leaks. Kingwood is often sold as BZW and without the test not a person alive can tell the difference. Provenance is everything these days so if he can't provide you with a copy of the reciept that is notarized I would stay away even if it test out authentic. You can go on google and find the USDA PDF test directions. Brazil does allow one company to export stump wood and it is where a lot of highly figured BRW comes from today but it isn't tone wood by any means.Finding an estate of very old furniture or wan estate of a very old Luthier is the best way. As for value a quality set like you would see on pre60's guitars like an old Martin Classical and bothering it for its wood. the value can go to 2500.00 . Ask martin what they get for a BRW upgrade. when they did the Mike Longworth signature model they tacked on 15,000.00 making it grand total $29,999.00.And that was over 10 years ago if I remember correctly. It is also defiantly not the wood for anyone with less than 200 builds under their belt. Unless you butcher an old Martin classical, which many have been. John Kays (steppenwolf) guitar tech,( Jeff B.) who met his wife in Brazil, used to bring in sets before the ban but he sold them all to fund a reforestation project in brazil about 10 years ago. Any guitar built today with true tone wood quality BRW will bring down 20k+depending on the luthier and the incessant amount of inlay required. Of course a factory or low end luthier may charge less especially if they are a good friend or you are an A level musician you may get a deal. Ebay was and is notorious for bringing in King wood. Obama , on his way on his way out the door banned the importation of ALL Rosewood shipments over 55lbs. It has caused a lot of problems mostly because USC&BP agents are unaware of the 55# part and not aware or to busy to check the serial#s on Martins for an example for the build date. most can't tell the difference. I have built since 1977 and with the lack of true Honduran Mahogany. I am no longer taking orders and on my last 3 BRW and last 2 other guitars.
    The differance between an Adventure and a Ordeal is Attitude

6. The following members say thank you to W.Weldon for this post:

Jacob 

Quote Originally Posted by W.Weldon View Post
    ...welcome to the Cafe...

Thanks , I have been too busy to introduce myself. Summer in Alaska is a crazy mass of work in all directions, cant't wait till fall. I just purchased my 2nd mandolin a Paul Duff. Great builder.
    The differance between an Adventure and a Ordeal is Attitude

Pardon my ignorance, but is Kingwood a good tonewood?

Yes, welcome to the Cafe. I have a Duff H-5 mandola. He is a great builder.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but is Kingwood a good tonewood?
    I'm not a luthier so I can't vouch for it, but I'll bet it is excellent. It is also a type of Rosewood on the Dalbergia genus. It's a really beautiful wood which takes a terrific finish. You may be out of luck though. According to Wikipedia, Kingwood is a smallish tree and only yields small size pieces of wood. Fine for me, making penny whistles (which come out gorgeous) but not so good for a luthier except for smaller trim pieces.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingwood_(wood)http://
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

12. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post: