Thread: Nyberg Mandola Review

Default Nyberg Mandola Review

Guys, this is just an initial review after one day. I received it at work and could not play it except for a few minutes, there. I had no pick, so tore off the corner of cardboard from my legal pad for a pick. Just for your information and my surprise the cardboard was NOT satisfying as a pick. Once I got home, I pulled out a REAL pick and the result was... AHH.
    Very sweet tone, especially on the top two, D and A strings. The bass strings, C and G, were full and deep, but not woody, like the Ellis. Overall, very pleased. The Nyberg was easy to play, workmanship very solid, and the tone smooth and warm, with a lot of sustain.
    A quick aside. While talking with my wife, I felt an edge around the bottom of the purfling. I was thinking that the purfling had raised up. I felt disappointed. My wife noticed my face and asked what was wrong. I had her feel the raised point. I keep following it around and boom, realized that it was a clear pick guard. This is the second time this has happened to me, once with a guitar. Guess i get the DUH award.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Default Re: Nyberg Mandola Review

Congratulations on the new mandola. Lesson learned, always have a pick.

3. The following members say thank you to Nevin for this post:

Yep, that's what that little pocket on the right hand side of your jeans are for
    Or the little wooden box from Blue Chip picks.

Years ago, my son gave me a pickholder keyring, which comfortably holds two picks: one for guitar, and one for mandolin. It's great!

Here is one like it, which comes in four colors: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...-and-key-chain
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Quote Originally Posted by red7flag View Post
    Guys, this is just an initial review after one day. I received it at work and could not play it except for a few minutes, there. I had no pick, so tore off the corner of cardboard from my legal pad for a pick. Just for your information and my surprise the cardboard was NOT satisfying as a pick. Once I got home, I pulled out a REAL pick and the result was... AHH.
    Very sweet tone, especially on the top two, D and A strings. The bass strings, C and G, were full and deep, but not woody, like the Ellis. Overall, very pleased. The Nyberg was easy to play, workmanship very solid, and the tone smooth and warm, with a lot of sustain.
    A quick aside. While talking with my wife, I felt an edge around the bottom of the purfling. I was thinking that the purfling had raised up. I felt disappointed. My wife noticed my face and asked what was wrong. I had her feel the raised point. I keep following it around and boom, realized that it was a clear pick guard. This is the second time this has happened to me, once with a guitar. Guess i get the DUH award.
    The exact same thing happened to me a few years ago with a new Oakwood in the UK.
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

Followup comment from second nights playing. So far I don't have a strap. Being a Sobel clone, the shape is different. Some have described the typical A as onion shaped and the Sobell as shallet. As such, the instrument feels different in your lap and the playing area an inch or two higher than I was used to.
    I found that as I am more comfortable playing with this beauty, the tone is just awesome. The cause of the improvement seems to be more my adapting to the instrument, than "opening up". I will just say this, Lawrence Nyberg makes a great sounding instrument and as I adapt better, the instrument sounds better. It has a sweet full voice with loads of sustain.

I've been happy with the OM he built us 3.5 years ago. I would love to take one of his mandolas for a ride one day.

Enjoy it in good health!
    John
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

I had one of those absolutely awful days at work. I went up to the studio and picked up the Nyberg. For the next hour, I played a number of tunes that I had worked on recently. After getting done, I felt so much better. That instrument, maybe strange looking, (the shape not the workmanship), but I feel totally at home playing it. The tone is sublime. Lawrence make a great instrument. Two instruments I had made were stretches. The walnut Mowrey GOM was just a concept that came to me. Never regretted that move. As you can see by my list, it is the one I have had the longest. The Sobell shaped Paduak wood mandola came after a long search. Once I narrowed by search to Lawrence he suggested the Paduak wood and we went from there. Pretty sure it is a keeper.
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Lawrence's pick guards are really almost invisible at first. I opted to go without one as a person preference, but Lawrence said if I ever wanted one to let him know. One thing I notice with my OM is that my playing position changes to accommodate the size and probably shape of the instrument. It sits nicely in my lap and I adopt a more formal playing position, rather than slouching back in a chair
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

11. The following members say thank you to Denman John for this post:

Pictures?
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Sorry for the delay, work has been very taxing. I included some with the Girouard mandola to give a reference as to the size of the body.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6515.JPG 
Views:	174 
Size:	998.5 KB 
ID:	159567   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6514.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	992.3 KB 
ID:	159568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6513.JPG 
Views:	164 
Size:	968.9 KB 
ID:	159569  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6509.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	953.2 KB 
ID:	159570   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6508.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	996.2 KB 
ID:	159571   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6505.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	1,004.2 KB 
ID:	159572  

Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Here are some additional pictures that accentuate the unique aspects of the Nyber. The tuners are really much nicer that the pictures do justice. They have a antiquey black look that really work. The tailpiece is really cool too. Best part of this instrument is the tone. As I am working and the studio is closed, that will be a while to fulfill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6517.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	159576   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6516.JPG 
Views:	156 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	159577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6512.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	985.6 KB 
ID:	159578  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6510.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	993.6 KB 
ID:	159579   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6507.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	159580  
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172