Thread: A Great Gear Bag

Default A Great Gear Bag

Hi Folks,

A friend of mine makes really great waxed canvas bags. He let me borrow one, and I took it to Wintergrass with me. I was able to carry my zoom recorder, the program guide, strings, my phone and a bunch of other stuff and it didn't take up much space. The things are bullet proof. It makes a fantastic music accessory bag. Check it out (no financial interest).

https://www.nutsacbags.com/product/man-bag-dammit

Cheers,

Rob
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

Default Re: A Great Gear Bag

Kitbrix, here.. http://www.kitbrix.co.uk/

or a Bike Messenger bag, here..
    Last edited by mandroid; Jul-18-2017 at 9:41am.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

A gear bag is a great idea.

That man-bag-dammit looks really great. I really like that style. I might need to get one. Its a little smaller than what I use now, but its an opportunity to de-clutter and carry only essentials.

I did an EDC blog about using a gig bag.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

They do make bigger bags also (click the nutsac logo on the MBD page), but I was impressed by how much stuff I could get into the MBD. Bigger on the inside, like the Tardis
    Last edited by RobP; Jul-18-2017 at 11:31am.
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

Infrequently Smelt Gregory Tidwell's Avatar

I had a leather bag that I used to own. Never really used it, but my daughter delighted in calling it my "murse." So I guess that the murse still lives.
    Objects in mirror are closer then they appear.

- Buick, 1986

Blog Entries

I guess as long as I am not thinking about how it goes with my shoes I am alright.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

The Orvis company used to make a bag they called a "Tackle bag" which was long enough to hold a Stanley quart thermos. They no longer make it, sadly. When I wanted to get a replacement they had stopped making it, I sent a drawing to "Duluth Pack and Awning" (The Real One) and they quoted me a price. Twelve years later I found the quote when I had a little "playing money" and told them to requote and sent the original to use as a pattern. When the box came back, they honored the original quote AND restitched the original and returned it as well! This is the most useful bag I have ever owned! I over load it constantly on vacation but, since I have two I keep one for camera use and the other is for anything else I desire.
    I used to carry a full thermos of coffee, and baked goods to work as well as pens, note pads, measuring instruments in short, any blasted thing I wanted was in it! I will have to shoot a picture...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0318.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	961.4 KB 
ID:	159315
    That's fully loaded for two weeks away!
    Interior:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0317.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	159316

Two standard pairs of binoculars one mini, camera, tons of "stuff" the end pockets will hold field guides and an 8 oz. flask in each end.
    It's going to be good to get away!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by RobP View Post
    Hi Folks,

A friend of mine makes really great waxed canvas bags. He let me borrow one, and I took it to Wintergrass with me. I was able to carry my zoom recorder, the program guide, strings, my phone and a bunch of other stuff and it didn't take up much space. The things are bullet proof. It makes a fantastic music accessory bag. Check it out (no financial interest).

https://www.nutsacbags.com/product/man-bag-dammit

Cheers,

Rob

Your friend should put an ad in the classifieds.

So I click that nutsac link and two minutes later my Facebook feed was flooded with ads for them...lesson learned.

That's why I don't FB. I just hit the link and looked at the few bags they show and moved along, I really love my Duluth bag. Nickel plated brass roller buckles, higher class than the ones on the original Orvis bag. And that is a higher degree of elegance. I bought that when I was maybe 21, since the gratis resewing, it's as good as new and I still carry my Olympus OM-1 in that!
    I am a bagaholic! Makes packing for trips easier for me.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B381 View Post
    So I click that nutsac link and two minutes later my Facebook feed was flooded with ads for them...lesson learned.
    Same with your Google page... That's just how the Web works anymore.

My go to small shoulder bag is an old military surplus one that goes either on a belt or uses a rifle strap as a shoulder bag. It's cotton with a plastic/rubber top of bag cover with more canvas that folds over the top and is secured by two loop through buckles. It's about 10" x 12" or so. I mostly use it to haul around extra lenses for photography. I keep a couple plastic bags shopping bags in the bottom in case it rains and keep the lenses in their neoprene pouches so I don't need tons of foam padding. Plus it doesn't look like a camera bag. The straps make it pick pocket proof. I got it from a friend back in 1990 when it was already ancient and we used it when we went caving. It's a great piece of kit.

I've bought bulkier camera bags that just don't hold as much or work as well. This is a great bag when I don't want to carry a daypack or a lot of weight with other junk.
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +