Thread: Ciaran Curran & Fintan McManus

Default Ciaran Curran & Fintan McManus

Was trying to learn something about Fintan McManus, who appears in the first Altan album and "Ye Lovers All" by Len Graham, and found some wonderful videos of him with a young Ciaran Curran, both in duet and as accompanists. Interestingly, the sets all sounded familiar, and without digging through my Altan collection, I think they all appeared in various albums under different names. Enjoy!

"But wasn't it all stupid nonsense, rot, gibberish, and criminally fraudulent nincompoopery?"
    - Neal Stephenson, Quicksilver

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ciaran Curran & Fintan McManus

Very nice! It is a great pleasure to find the early sources of what turns out to be renown musical groups. It is clear that these guys contributed their favorite tunes to the Altan tune list. The earlier versions often are simple arrangements and therefore easier to identify the melody. And it is also true that one can identify what the others in the band did to make that wonderfully rich 'Altan sound'.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

3. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

Mike,

Just spent 3 weeks on the west coast of Clare in Ireland, playing in sessions and drinking the night away with Dermot Byrne - like having a piece of Altan sat in front of you. He's in Canada right now with about 6 weeks left of a tour - pretty sure Ontario was included. Might be worth checking out his facebook page - think he's playing with with a fiddler and a guitar player.

Quote Originally Posted by cliff g View Post
    Mike,

Just spent 3 weeks on the west coast of Clare in Ireland, playing in sessions and drinking the night away with Dermot Byrne - like having a piece of Altan sat in front of you. He's in Canada right now with about 6 weeks left of a tour - pretty sure Ontario was included. Might be worth checking out his facebook page - think he's playing with with a fiddler and a guitar player.
    Thanks for the note cliff, but no Canadian stops on this tour. It started and is still in Ireland, then Italy, Austria, and a handful of gigs in the States: http://www.bridharper.com/gigs.php. Be great to hear Steve Cooney and Brid Harper too as far as that goes.
    "But wasn't it all stupid nonsense, rot, gibberish, and criminally fraudulent nincompoopery?"

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I remember having seen them in those early years. I think it was on the Ballyshannon festival.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

7. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Apologies Mike - crossed wires. It's Dermot Byrne who is in Canada at moment touring with 3TiR. They were in Ontario til last week but have moved west now.

9. The following members say thank you to cliff g for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by cliff g View Post
    Apologies Mike - crossed wires. It's Dermot Byrne who is in Canada at moment touring with 3TiR. They were in Ontario til last week but have moved west now.
    My fault for not reading the Brid Harper gig list more carefully - she started her current tour with Byrne and Cooney but no mention of them after March!

3TiR were indeed in Ontario in the first week of July and will be playing the Goderich Celtic Festival in August. Might make that one, but given we've just relocated and are stupid-busy, realistically 2018 might end up being my first Goderich.