Thread: Confessions of an EXP74CM user

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Confessions of an EXP74CM user

Well, I haven't really touched my Eastman 315 since I got the Collings, and a few days ago I tuned it. Compared to the Collings, it just felt too heavy, overbuilt and under driven. After 30 min to an hour of playing it, I decided it was time to sell. Heck, even my Washburn has been more fun to play than the Eastman!

So, I determined to make a video and put it up for auction. Yesterday I changed the strings in preparation of cleaning it, re-setting the intonation, and offering it for sale.

This mandolin had been strung with the D'Addario beta test strings, which as I remember, I had never cared much for from the first day I put them on. So I replaced them with a set of EXP74CM - my go-to string set - an lo and behold, I have fallen in love with my Eastman all over again.

I still think it's a little overbuilt, but no longer under-driven now that the CM's are back on. No way would I sell this mandolin.

IMO, it's a great set of strings, and they live on all three of my little mandolins.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

2. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Default Re: Confessions of an EXP74CM user

The beta test strings were really light, like 11-39. I tried the EJ74 set on my 315 a few months ago when I installed a new bridge. It seemed really weak compared to before, so I went back to the 75s. Turns out it needs the heavy strings.

A few weeks ago, I went to a Boxcars show, and Adam Steffey gave me a Nickel Bronze 11.5-40 set. The G isn't quite as full as a .041, but overall I like them a lot.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

4. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

Interesting as I'm getting a Loar 310 shipped to me I should have it in a few days first thing will be new strings and set up. I was thinking using J74's but I have a set of John Pearse heavy with I think there 12-42 gauge. Maybe this cheap and I'm sure overbuilt mando will benefit from heavy gauge strings.
    Lou

6. The following members say thank you to Loubrava for this post:

Chris, the 11's in the J74 set weren't working as well as I'd hoped so a while back, not long into the Eastman, I went to the CM set, and the 11.5 made a really nice difference. I like the coated medium set with the tad heavier E strings.

Lou, I do think heavier is better with the Eastman I have, and may try a heavier set than the CM's at some point, but I'm happy now!

- YouTube Stuff

This is a symptom of MAS, Nonpartwithitis. Onset can be a change of strings and/or making of a Youtube demo video.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Josh Levine For This Useful Post:

BTW, in case anyone reads this thread who really loves the sound of the D'Addario phospher bronze medium strings, I was gifted a set by one of the good members here a while back unexpectedly (I had loaned some equipment and the strings were sent with a nice little thank you package) - I don't intend to use them and would be happy to PM the first respondent here who wants them, so I can pay it forward. 11 - 40 set.

- YouTube Stuff

Nickle Bronze in the popular 11.5-40 custom sizes. Now if I can only get a set, my shop is attempting to order them for me, but was told they are on back order.

http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDe...edium__11_5_40
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

Looking at D'addario tension is a pain. They list the tension for only 4 strings on the family chart. Sometimes the gauges listed are wrong (?11.5?).in some places where total tension of 8 strings are listed it doesn't equal the 4 string tension x2. I just want the total tension of,the 8 string set. I like heavier strings and don't want to go over what is recommended by the builder.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I also love the EXP74cm sizes. And, yes they do have a 11.5 E string.

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My MTO is strung with G/D from the EXP74CM and the A/E from EJ74. The mandolin sounds full and resonant with light gauge strings and I appreciate the lower tension of the G/D from the EXP74CM set. For references from daddario.com:

EJ74 D tension: 23.36 lbs
    EXP74CM D tension: 22.19 lbs

EJ74 G tension: 24.48 lbs
    EXP74CM G tension: 23.71 lbs