Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ''Stringbusters'' UK - A question !

Default ''Stringbusters'' UK - A question !

Has any member in the UK bought from 'Stringbusters' recently ?. I haven't bought for a few months because i always buy quite a few sets of strings,which are usually delivered
    within 2 days. Right now,i have strings overdue, & S'Busters aren't answering phone calls.

I'm wondering if they've ''run into trouble'' & are unable to deliver ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Default Re: ''Stringbusters'' UK - A question !

Must admit, Ivan, I've never heard of them. They could be on holiday (or watching the Tour de France). Let us know if you get any joy.

I had the same problem with Tonetech the other week. The pace was closed and locked up when they were supposed to be open - the owner was on holiday.

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I've often used them but haven't needed to in the past few months...

Recent reviews on sitejabber.com aren't encouraging I'm afraid, but bear in mind that people are quicker to complain than compliment!

I tried to use them a few weeks ago but they were out of stock for the strings I wanted.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

They have the items i want in stock,so i ordered & paid for them. They've been pretty good at delivering in the past. My payment was taken by ''WorldPay'' i assume that's something like Paypal,so would it have been an automatic transfer, or does it require human intervention ?. I'll give them another week then it's a phone call to Devon Trading Standards !.

Hi Ray - I've dealt with Bill at Tonetech a few times. I'm amazed that he didn't signal his absence on his website,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

WorldPay is one of the big boys, and has been around a long time, used to be owned by RBS and a lot of card readers use it. Just sold for £9.1 bn so it shouldn't be them.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

8. The following members say thank you to derbex for this post:

Blog Entries

I ordered some DR Rare strings and D'Addarío Helicores in May. Got a call from them after a couple of weeks to say they'd had difficulty getting the D'Addarío strings & asking if I would prefer to wait or cancel. I was ok waiting so they just sent the DRs & then a month later the violin strings.

I've used them a few times now with no issues, but was pretty impressed with this response when there was an issue of supply.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Hi Eoin - I bought some DR strings back in May with no problems. All the more surprising that my EJ74's haven't arrived after close to 2 weeks. SBs usually respond to e-mails /phone calls but not this time, & there a a lot of very unhappy folk on Facebook still waiting for their goods to turn up after being on order for weeks. I've started the process of getting my cash back via Natwest Bank.

Whilst looking for other EJ74 dealers,i found that ''Gear4music'' up in Yorkshire sells them for £8.00 / set (cheaper than SBs) & they can deliver the next day if required - my Gator mandolin case was ordered one afternoon & it arrived the following morning !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Whilst looking for other EJ74 dealers,i found that ''Gear4music'' up in Yorkshire sells them for £8.00 / set (cheaper than SBs) & they can deliver the next day if required - my Gator mandolin case was ordered one afternoon & it arrived the following morning !,
    I've used them recently, and they were very efficient!

12. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post:

Several months ago members of a guitar forum I post on were experiencing problems with stringbusters. Things weren't good with them, as you can read on page two here :

http://acousticsoundboard.co.uk/thre...s-bogof?page=2

Not sure if things have improved now, hopefully they have.

Robbie

- - - Updated - - -

Several months ago members of a guitar forum I post on were experiencing problems with stringbusters. Things weren't good with them, as you can read on page two here :

http://acousticsoundboard.co.uk/thre...s-bogof?page=2

Not sure if things have improved now, hopefully they have.

Robbie

Hi Robbie - It looks as though SB's might have folded - but !. If they are on holiday,they might respond,but somehow i doubt it.

The EJ74's i ordered from Gear4music on Tuesday arrived yesterday. If G4M continue to stock them,i'll but from them,but my DR strings will now have to come from 'Schneidermusik' in Germany,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Unlike our venison supplier, which went bust in May, according to Companies House, Stringbusters are still trading.

You could try writing to the owners/shareholders, Adam and Rachael Mitchell, at their registered office - 55 Lynwood Drive, Worcester Park, Surrey, KT4 7AE

I just contacted Stringbusters. Apparently one of the 2 guys who runs the store was on holiday,his colleague who was supposed to be running the store in his absence,fell & smashed his shoulder - hence nobody at home !.

From Ray - "..according to Companies House, Stringbusters are still trading". Yes,they're still seen to be trading & in fact are. I spoke to the Insolvency Service yesterday - but - it can be weeks or months before a Co.files for insolvency,& until they do that,they're seen as ''still trading''. I've also cancelled by claim for a refund.

Anyway - i'm pleased for their regular customers that they are still up & running. So it seems i'll soon be the owner of 8 sets of EJ74's !!!,
    Ivan

PS - I AM now the owner of 8 set of EJ74's, the Stringbusters sets arrived a short while ago. I just opened both packs of strings & they're ALL the new packets - presumably the ones with the sticky ID tags ??. After speaking to SBs,they're still going to stock my other ''required brand'' DR.
    Last edited by Ivan Kelsall; Jul-20-2017 at 7:12am.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

BeanzyTavy 

Only 8! I'm still working through my endless stock of J74s ....... and they don't have sticky tags.

Incidentally, custom Newtones come with sticky tags but they don't leave any residue.

Good news! Glad to hear that you've got your strings

20. The following members say thank you to OneChordTrick for this post:

Hi OneChord - I'm more pleased that Stringbusters are still operating. I've been buying from them for years & until this episode,they've always been top drawer with their service. Order one day & 2 days later your goods arrive. There's not too many stores like that around & to loose one would be pretty bad.

Contrast that with one very well known UK instrument materials / parts supplier from whom i ordered a set of guitar string pins. I phoned them on a Monday morning to order & pay for them ,& they told me they'd try to get them in the post by FRIDAY !!!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

It's just like when you lose something Ivan. If you really want to find whatever it is just buy another one. . . . R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UsuallyPickin For This Useful Post:

From UsuallyPickin' - "If you really want to find whatever it is just buy another one. . " Absolutely - here's a good example.
    On Tuesday,my wife 'lost' her Visa debit card. We looked all over the house for it. Eventually,she had to go to our local bank,cancel the card & order a replacement. The day after,we found the card in the plastic bag that she uses to carry her library books in. She'd put it in there intending to put it back in her purse when she got in her car. Why all of a sudden she'd do that,even she couldn't explain !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

....... and you go upstairs and, when you get there, you can't remember what you came for!

26. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Ray - That happens to me almost every day - literally. It makes one think of the onset of dementia,but no - i figured out that i get easily distracted by 'other things' & do those before i do what i set out to do. It's easily done,& if you do it many times,it becomes obvious what's going on,
    Bert
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cartoon.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	159385
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Hi Ivan,
    Having used Stringbusters UK for more years than I can remember I also have same problem. Last very recent order was only part delivered, had quality issues with some strings delivered and no indication when balance of order would be delivered. Numerous emails to the 5 email addresses listed and telephone calls all not answered. So a once excellent service provider has now either changed hands or is in financial distress. Yes they take your cash up front, supply what they have in stock then sod the balance or the problems.

I have reported them to Paypal though really don't expect to hear from Stringbusters UK again. As I purchased from them many times before with no complaints I never bothered to check their reviews...wish I had, as there are numerous customers in the same predicament. There is plenty of other suppliers on line...but read the reviews first. Ah...such is life.

JohnWW.

30. The following members say thank you to JohnWW for this post:

Hi John - The very reason that i've stuck with Stringbusters,has been their excellent delivery service - order one day & within 2 days,my orders have arrived - without exception !. It was the fact that my order 'didn't' arrive as per usual,that made me think that they'd gone out of business. Currently,they're the ONLY UK string seller that regularly has DR strings on sale. Other than that,i'd have to import them from ''Schneidermusik'' in Germany (excellent Co.) & fork out an extra £10 for a 2 day delivery service, as i have to do in order to buy the GHS A270 mandolin strings that i use on my Ellis,
    Ivan
    PS - I might ask Schneidermusik the cost of mailing 6 sets of DRs & 6 sets of A270's as one order - it might be less expensive,but if the postage charge is governed by 'weight',then........ ?
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

I was about to place an order for MD12 yesterday but had a wee check on ebay and amazon first I went with an Amazon supplier called “Music Technology” who did it for £11.21 including vat & delivery. Apparently they were dispatched this morning. Seems like good value.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

33. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

Thanks for that info. Eoin - I'll check them out,
    Ivan

PS - I just did. A set of MD11's is £12.26 UK + free delivery. Maybe an e-mail is in order ?.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.