Thread: Pachelbel's Canon for 3 Mandostrats

Default Pachelbel's Canon for 3 Mandostrats

https://soundcloud.com/john-watson-1...els-canon-in-d

These mandostrats are addictive. Learning violin parts is easy. I spent too many years learning violin parts on guitar. The native fingering in mandolin makes it so much better than struggling on guitar. Although this piece is not as bad as some.

Would love to hear some critique. The track is experimental, probably could use some reverb to add depth. I finished working on it a few months ago, and abandoned it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Dough For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Pachelbel's Canon for 3 Mandostrats

I like the tone on the m'strats. Sweet, round, bright enough but not too bright. Reverb? You might try it, but I don't think it needs much. Your playing is very clean--nice. This is only a matter of taste, but I prefer that piece a tad slower. That said, good job!

Beautiful! The trills sound is awesome. Your music encourage me to use more my mandobird. Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Jairo Ramos Parra View Post
    Beautiful! The trills sound is awesome. Your music encourage me to use more my mandobird. Good job!
    The key for me to get the trills is use a 4 string. I have the 8 string Fender, but it's much harder to play trills, and play clean. Electric guitar has been my main instrument, so transitioning to 4 string is easier. Took a little while to learn to use all 4 fingers in certain runs, guitar scales are generally 3 fingers per string.
    Break out that mandobird, they're fun!

Quote Originally Posted by BluesPreacher View Post
    I like the tone on the m'strats. Sweet, round, bright enough but not too bright. Reverb? You might try it, but I don't think it needs much. Your playing is very clean--nice. This is only a matter of taste, but I prefer that piece a tad slower. That said, good job!
    I put the Almuse pickup in, but probably the stock pickups also have a clear chime bell like tone characteristic of single coils.
    The cleanness was very much intentional, it's easy to get sloppy fretting notes on the mando, and I wanted to avoid that.
    This was recorded at 205bpm, the highest speed i had worked up to. Probably could have done better at a slower tempo, at the time I thought it was more cheerful quicker, and sadder at slower speeds, but it may lose some articulation and phrasing if it's rushed too fast.
    Thanks for listening!