Thread: Harmony Batwing Truss Rod Question

Default Harmony Batwing Truss Rod Question

I have an acoustic Harmony "Batwing" H8025 on the bench. Went to adjust the truss rod and found an unusual amount of threaded rod protruding from the nut. Turned the nut and the rod kept coming out through it—obviously not connected on the other end. Pulled the rod all the way out and there's no breakage or twisting on the heel end of the rod, nor even clear evidence of a broken weld where it might have been attached to an anchor bolt or second rod (I know Harmony used a two-piece compression rod on some instruments). The nut washer won't pull out easily so I can't tell if there's a second compression rod behind it. Does anyone know how these were constructed? Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2482.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	434.2 KB 
ID:	159205

Name:	IMG_2483.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	540.9 KB 
ID:	159204

Name:	IMG_2497.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	670.4 KB 
ID:	159201

Name:	IMG_2490.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	410.1 KB 
ID:	159202

Name:	IMG_2495.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	482.0 KB 
ID:	159203

Default Re: Harmony Batwing Truss Rod Question

Well that's a puzzle for sure! Manufacturing mistake?

3. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post:

Judging from Frank Ford's site (http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luth...armonyrod.html) and this Harmony site (http://harmony.demont.net/kamikazie.php?page=005) I suspect this is the compression rod system. Likely there was an insubstantial weld at the heel end that snapped when the nut was turned. Ford was able to free up that washer/collar and remove it with an Exacto knife. I reckon I'll try the same thing, hoping I'll find the second rod in there and can reattach it. Anything not to have to remove the fretboard. Still, if anyone knows more than I it would be great to hear about it. Thanks.

One of these days I will find one for a reasonable price at a yard sale and grab it until I find it for the right price, I'm not worrying. But I'm,ready to dive into the Yank Rachell pool for a swim with one of these!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Harmony Batwing mando truss rod question answered.

In addition to the other sites linked above, this one also encouraged me to guess I was dealing with a double truss rod: http://www.moonlightluthiers.com/har...nhancement.htm

The washer/collar under the nut looked right, so I figured a second rod was hiding behind it. Removing the nut and cleaning the slot out a little allowed me to grab the collar and pull it out, revealing the other rod. Getting that out was considerably trickier, but managed to do it with some probing, prodding, and pulling. Now I just need to take it over to a pal's studio and re-weld the rods at the heel end.

Name:	IMG_2519.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	643.0 KB 
ID:	159312

7. The following members say thank you to Doug Freeman for this post:

Wow, well done getting both of those out!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Freeman View Post
    Now I just need to take it over to a pal's studio and re-weld the rods at the heel end.

Name:	IMG_2519.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	643.0 KB 
ID:	159312
    Once it is re-welded, how are you going to get it back in place without removing the fingerboard? Doesn't appear to be room from the peghead opening....

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Once it is re-welded, how are you going to get it back in place without removing the fingerboard? Doesn't appear to be room from the peghead opening....
    I didn't get a picture of it, but the truss rod slot behind the collar/washer is tall (i.e., deep) enough for both rods, one on top of the other, to slide right in. The threaded portion of the lower rod protrudes through the collar, while the upper one snugs up against the back of the collar. Turning the nut forces the collar backward, causing the upper rod to arch upward and apply back pressure against the top of the neck. Attaching a couple pics of the rods welded together and assembled with the collar/washer and nut affixed. The nut was tightened a bit at this point to test the weld before putting it all back together. Which it now is, and is working great.

Name:	IMG_2566.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	673.4 KB 
ID:	159693 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2563.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	716.5 KB 
ID:	159692

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doug Freeman For This Useful Post:

Great stuff!