Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snark tuner

Default Re: Snark tuner

To be fair, Snark was a game-changer when it was introduced. It was the first dirt-cheap clip-on that actually worked - I have had a few Fenders, as one example, that were so far out of tune it's not even a joke. Snarks, for all their "flaws," are very accurate for what they are.

The strange Snark design was also part of it's appeal when it was first introduced. The design components that are being complained about here are exactly what gave it its distinctive look that made it stand out in the market and attain the level of success it has.

Now there are other low-priced competitors that are challenging Snark on features and price. That's the way these market cycles go.

My car is 30 years old this year. Got collector plates for it when it hit 25. I'm the original owner. Still looks and drives close to new and is pretty much all original save normal wear and tear. I have little doubt it'll still be on the road in another 30 years assuming gas is still available. I attribute it's longevity to nothing more than it being a well-designed and built American car that I've taken care of over the years (no, it's not been babied).
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Verne Andru For This Useful Post:

Jeff - As is usual,anything costing $10 US is more than 50% more expensive in the UK,nevertheless,the Snarks are inexpensive by comparison with other tuners. The 2 that i have are,as i said before in 100% perfect condition. Other folk have mentioned in the past that they use up batteries pretty quickly. The Duracell batteries in mine are getting on for 12 months old & are still good. It depends on how much use the tuners get. I use mine maybe 3 or 4 times each in a week,the same goes for my Polytune tuner,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

4. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Update!

I received email from Michelle at Snark saying they would send me a new replacement tuner.

...more later!

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Billy Packard For This Useful Post:

I think my snark is getting to the point its lying to me, my snark and the tuner app on my phone tune slightly different and the tuning to my phone just sounds more in tune....do snarks have a life expectancy? It got a new battery a couple months ago.
    Last edited by B381; Jul-19-2017 at 8:37pm. Reason: Spell-correct hates me...

8. The following members say thank you to B381 for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B381 View Post
    I think my snark is getting to the point its lying to me, my snark and the tuner app on my phone tune slightly different and the tuning to my phone just sounds more in tune....do snarks have a life expectancy? It got a new battery a couple months ago.
    You will find the same thing, to some extent, with all the 'cheap' tuners. Their display resolution and general accuracy and consistency varies a lot. You also cannot reliably test this unless you use a high quality (preferably calibrated) reference, such as one of the pro-grade 'bench' tuners. FWIW, the most consistently accurate clip-on tuners I have tested have been:

TC Electronic Polytune
    Petersen Stroboclip HD
    Korg Sledgehammer PRO 100

They are all very good indeed.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

10. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

B381 - How old is your Snark ?. Both mine are 4 years old (approx.) 'maybe' even a bit older,i can't remember exactly,but they work perfectly. You can test your tuner using a standard tuning fork - still the standard tool for many piano tuners. Buy an A440 tuning fork (A) & keep it as your ''tuner test tool''. Both my Snarks & Polytune show a 'spot on' reading for the note A,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I've compared my cheap £5 tuner, an "A to G", with a free iPhone app and they both give the same result. So unless they, by some fluke, have the same error I think they do the job ok.

UPDATE!

I received the replacement Snark yesterday! Unfortunately the battery is dead but otherwise it's almost the same as the original. The mechanics on the back of the computer part that holds it to the clamp part is the same, just like the original in the picture at the top of this thread. The clamp itself is different, the off/on button is shiny and the logo says, "Super Tight" otherwise all else looks the same.

I'll comment once I pick up a battery for it.

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola

14. The following members say thank you to Billy Packard for this post:

I'm guessing even though it showed no signs, it needed another battery, seems to be working now.

Did you check the battery that came with it for a little removable bit of paper that keeps it from making contact and draining the battery? If you find that by removing the battery from the unit, peel it off and re-install. It will probably work.
    Steve

17. The following members say thank you to Steve L for this post:

I like the Snarks for their accuracy and visual clarity.

However, I've had one break in the way OP has described.

The most recent iteration seems to be improved in several ways - not sure about ball joint strength though.

I keep a D'addario PW clipped to my main mando and my Snarks for other instruments or lending to other players in a session.
    I don't want to take my PW off and lend it out.
    Bren

Hey Steve L, you're right! I pulled out the little strip of plastic and the tuner works fine now.

All's well that ends well & thanks to Snark for making good on their product.

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Packard View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2098.jpg 
Views:	519 
Size:	273.8 KB 
ID:	159199What a DRAG!

The Snark tuner I have just broke--one of the tongs on the back that hold it to the clamp section just folded outward and the whole tuner part fell off.
    I'm not a hammer hand, BTW.

Billy
    My Snark did the same thing,
    I glued it at the elbo,
    it is holding for now.
    thankfully I have my PT 1for backup.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

21. The following members say thank you to J Mangio for this post:

Same thing happened to my black Snark - I'm not complaining, because at the price, I don't expect the thing to be built like a tank. I cut a piece of rubber tubing (motorbike petrol hose) to the right length, slipped it over the broken piece, forced the ball back in its socket joint, and its been fine ever since (more than a year).
    "Give me a mandolin and I'll play you rock 'n' roll" (Keith Moon)

23. The following members say thank you to Polecat for this post:

Here's the ticket! Moisten the ball of the joint and put it in place. Gently push the broken flange into place and wrap the socket part of the joint many many times with thread...thirty ought to do. Touch a few drops of super glue onto the threads, gently moving the joint so as not to permit the glue to adhere to the moistened ball. Let dry. Then a couple more drops of glue. Repeat until the thread no longer absorbs the glue. Better than new!

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UncleDave For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

My first Snark lasted several years of constant use. The red one. Then the black one came out and it was a bit more accurate so I used that without incident for several years. It was destroyed at a contra dance (don't ask), and so I am on my third Snark.

I have a Peterson stroboclip that I use for backup. I really like it for accuracy.

They are all pretty ugly IMO and I always return them to my case or gig bag after tuning up.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....