Thread: First Mandolin - Dilemma

Default First Mandolin - Dilemma

Hello guys. New member here, but reading the posts on this forum for a while, looking for my first mandolin. I am a long time guitar player and mandolin will be my second instrument primarily for country/bluegrass jams & pub singing. Although coming from country of many mandolin builders (Vana, Prucha, Capek to name a few) it is difficult to buy a good piece of mandolin round entry level in reasonable quality here. But this is a case in most of the Europe I'm afraid. Therefore I must buy this instrument on-line which I obviously hate to do (any wooden instrument). A few questions for start:

1) Which one would you recommend ?
    The Loar LM 500/520+CA bridge+pro setup ... EUR 660
    Eastman 315, factory setup ... EUR 690
    Eastman 305, factory setup ... EUR 600

2) I also do like The Loar LM 400
    But, I read somewhere that this particular model does not have any bracing, just solid top. If this is a case I'd be afraid if it survives a tension of medium or medium-heavy strings for a long time. Can someone have a look inside of his LM 400 and advise, please?

In general, I do not prefer the body shape to sound (although my heart tends towards F5 style :-) ). Just reasonable compromise of cost and appropriate "bark&chop".

Thanks!

Default Re: First Mandolin - Dilemma

I prefer the Eastman mandolins over The Loar mandolins.
    I'm surprised that the 315 is only 90 euro more than the 300. Still, all seem quite expensive. I'd look for a good used mandolin, if there are some to be found near you.

I have the Eastman 315 and I played it a few years before I got my Northfield. I like it a lot and still get it out for campfires and alternate tunings it's a great mando for the price. Not sure about the others but folks here will chime in and there are lots of threads asking this very question you can read in the meantime. Enjoy the search and although you play guitar check out the learning section here, Mandolessons, and Banjo Ben are all good resources to get you started.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    I'd look for a good used mandolin, if there are some to be found near you.
    You might keep an eye on the classifieds here for instruments from European sellers to save on shipping and import fees. I did a quick search of mandolins using the "€" symbol and found this one in the same general price range as the Eastmen and Loars you've listed:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/111348#111348

It's a Depression-era budget mandolin with a couple of compromises, such as the short neck and flat back, but it is old wood and has the right name on the headstock. If you're a fan of vintage instruments, I figured it might speak to you.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by jbiker View Post
    ...2) I also do like The Loar LM 400
    But, I read somewhere that this particular model does not have any bracing, just solid top. If this is a case I'd be afraid if it survives a tension of medium or medium-heavy strings for a long time. Can someone have a look inside of his LM 400 and advise, please?...
    While I don't own an LM-400, I think from reading discussions like this thread, that the LM-400 has "X" bracing rather than tone bar bracing like other Loar models. I'm not aware of any carved-top mandolin that has no bracing at all; others may know more and chime in.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Your right about the 400 no bracing just like their 700. To me it would come down to the setup which is really important, you can go a lot further in one setup than one that isnt
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Longtime guitar and bass player here - my first mandolin is an Eastman MD 315 and I love it. Get a good setup, as that will make more of difference than anything. And resist the temptation to think of it as a little 4 string guitar tuned upside down and backwards...

Having owned a the Loar 520 as my first mandolin, and now a happy owner of an Eastman 515, I would strongly advise to go with an Eastman. Much better tone and easier to play.

I am a musician of over 40 years and decided to take up the mandolin 19 months ago. Bought the 520 blind based on internet info. The instrument was fine, build wise. But after a few months I wanted to replace it. I didn't care for the tone-a bit tinny and the shape of the neck was a bad fit for my hand.
    Eastman MD 515
    1991 33SB Gemeinhardt Flute
    1996 Yamaha YAS 62 Alto Sax

Thanks for bunch of valuable info, guys. In general, yes the prices are a bit inconsistent - because taken from different European shops - and high (again, European price level). Reading through your recommendations, I will go with Eastman MD 305. A bit more expensive that the one listed above, but incl. full setup. Hoping to see the parcel within the end of next week.

spud3
    Ref ... to think of it as a little 4 string guitar tuned upside down and backwards...

Definitely! Break-in into bass basics was relatively easy, but this would be a different story, I'm afraid. Expecting great fun for long winter evenings :-)

I found the prices a bit higher in Europe as well, with dealer less willing to go down on prices (at least in Germany).
    Good luck with the Eastman, I just got one and am very happy with it!

Shayan Givehchian

I would say Eastman 315 is a great mandolin. But setup is a huge deal for first instruments. I remember what a pain in the ass my first not set up mando was
    In love with the mandolin since Feb 2016
    Eastman MD514
    APC MOC308 Octave

True. Instruments expensive here in Europe. And setup obviously not in the offer. Actually I found only three shops advertising setup on their web pages. Finally ordered with Eagle Music Shop in the UK. Initial comunication great, curious what will be found in the box. Coming next week....
    Last edited by jbiker; Jul-31-2017 at 12:15pm. Reason: Wording error

I've used Eagle for strings and accessories and found them pretty good but not bought an instrument from them.

Don't think of the mandolin as a little upside down guitar. A better approach is to think of a guitar as a big upside down mandolin