Thread: Opinions Needed About Two Mandolins

===========

Default Opinions Needed About Two Mandolins

As always, I will try to keep it short:

1. I heard a sound clip today for a Weber Gallatin A Oval Hole mandolin, and I was blown away. It made another slightly-less-expensive competitor sound like a toy.

2. I have also been listening to various clips of Gibson F9's, and Gibson F5G's, and the F5G seems to consistently sound much more 'woody', as opposed to somewhat thinner F9 tone?

Naturally, I am basing my opinions on internet recordings coming through my computer speakers - so I would appreciate any comments from folks with real life experience.

Thanks!

Default Re: Opinions Needed About Two Mandolins

What was the "slightly-less-expensive competitor"? I have always liked Weber mandolins. My first "expensive" instrument was a Bighorn (two points with f holes) I bought it because it was just flat powerful, beautiful and with great tone.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Some of those F9s are pretty powerful. I'm bonded for life with the F5G, but the Roberts-era mandolins are consistently good throughout the lower end of the line. Pricy but cleanly built and classic sound.
    Mike Snyder

Real life experience is that no two mandolins sound identical, so generalizations about all F-9's from one sound clip are tenuous at best. The main difference in Gibson mandolins recently has been in finish, binding, ornamentation, and wood figure. I'm not sure that a visitor to Gibson could pick out an F-9 body from an F-5G "in the white," before finishing, binding etc.

The F-9 (and the briefly-available Jam Master) were designed to be more-affordable, but still "quality," instruments -- plain finishes, limited binding, lower priced. I have played and heard F-9's that sounded excellent. Without an example of an F-9 and an F-5G in my hands, I'd be loath to make a generalized comparison of their sounds -- and even then, I'd recognize that I'm comparing two individual mandolins, which may or may not represent all the instruments of that make and model.

On the other topic, Weber makes excellent mandolins, including their lower priced Gallatin line (somewhat analogous to the difference between F-9 and F-5?). Hardly anyone complains on the Cafe about Weber quality, and Weber owners seem pleased and loyal. The only Weber I own is a Gallatin "sopranolin," and it's excellently crafted and voiced.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

5. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

===========

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    The main difference in Gibson mandolins recently has been in finish, binding, ornamentation, and wood figure. I'm not sure that a visitor to Gibson could pick out an F-9 body from an F-5G "in the white," before finishing, binding etc.
    This was the general idea behind my F5G vs. F9 questioning - I simply was not sure if there were structural differences in the instruments (different bracing, woods, etc.), or if it was only cosmetics that separated the two.

Also - I have to Answer Captain E's question above with an apology for mistaken pricing. The comparative sound clips to the Weber were mandolins that were half the price of the Weber, not just a few hundred dollars less, as I had originally thought . . . so I can't honestly say that the Weber "made another slightly-less-expensive competitor sound like a toy." I will only say the the 'competitor' is a very popular, budget-priced, foreign-maker who is generally respected by Cafe members.

7. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

i have never heard a weber that wasn't great, across the lines, at each price. i haven't keard a lot of new gibsons.

i am a sucker for gibson As from 1919 to 1924. got three.

I am not a fan of the Weber voice in f-hole mandolins. Generalization, of course, but the voice is something quite different from the "Gibson" voice. I have been impressed with several oval-hole Webers.

Scott Schmidt down in Oklahoma has a Weber F5 than any Gibson tone person would love to own. So there you go. Generalizing is just too easy.
    Mike Snyder

I have had the opportunity to play a few Weber lately, none seemed to compare with the sound of my F5G (although its all subjective... or relative to the 'type' of music being played). Ive not had anything but compliments from many who play Weber, Ellis, Bryce and many other Gibson owners.

JMTCW
    2014 Gibson 'Harvey' F5G
    1917 Gibson F2
    2013 'The' Loar LM600VS
    2013 Morgan Monroe 4FJ
    Blue Chip Picks
    The Scallywag Social Club