Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rigel G110 Custom for sale soon

Default Re: Rigel G110 Custom for sale soon

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus CA View Post
    That raises a key question. Yes, I love the look of this mando, but since this has the finish of an electric guitar, rather than an acoustic guitar or mandolin, how does the tone of this instrument compare with its traditionally finished Rigel counterparts? Or, is that irrelevant because it is meant to mainly be played through its pick-up?
    What am i missing here?

Red, blue, sunburst, or rainbow....its a finish...presumably no thicker than the usual.
    Rigels sound great unamped, and, great amped, especially with a d.i.

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I love it , but don't think I could afford it
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

4. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

===========

Personally, if this mandolin is anything like my old R100 Custom, I don't think the price is unreasonable. (I was the bass player in the last band I played in, but I once brought my Rigel to a gig for the mandolinist to try out - and he didn't want to give it back!) Is the instrument expensive? Yes - but is it unreasonable . . . no.

Somebody is going to have a really nice and very unique mandolin at their next gig or jam session!

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    If only we had someone on the forum that had played it when it was brand new. Say, a guy that still had hair back then and wasn't yet a geezer...

Yea, it sounded freakishly good is my recollection. I happen to remember because when I saw it my first thought was, "there's no way this can sound like anything other than crap." I took that thought back in about two strums. Now, that was 13 years ago. Lot can happen to an instrument so in no way am I vouching for it now. I just know that it sounded great then, my opinion, a guy that leans towards traditional F mandolins but likes outside the box stuff. Most of Peter Langdell's high end mandolins surprised a lot of people. Just ask Jimmy Gaudreau who used to play one. And there was this kid that played one with a trio for several years before the big companies started giving him mandolins. Thile I think was his name. Saw him play it close up on stage at Winfield once. Sounded killer.
    I think Pete is way under appreciated as a builder. Lynne had an A oval that she regrets letting go and i had my I-110 on consignment praying all the time that it wouldn't sell. Fortunately it's back home and i get to play it when Lynne will let me. We live not too far from Pete's shop and i've had the opportunity to see many new and wonderful instruments. The unusual and the wonderful nods to tradition. His Vega cylinder back was scary good as was the Loar copy he made for Jimmy Gadreau. Then there's the bass.

Thanks to Pete for taking us out of our comfort zones and putting eminently playable and sounding instruments in our hands.

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

7. The following members say thank you to Ryk Loske for this post:

Maybe "Goin to Californiua"

Quote Originally Posted by stevedenver View Post
    What am i missing here?

Red, blue, sunburst, or rainbow....its a finish...presumably no thicker than the usual.
    Rigels sound great unamped, and, great amped, especially with a d.i.
    To my eye, it looks more like paint than stain and lacquer.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    And there was this kid that played one with a trio for several years before the big companies started giving him mandolins. Thile I think was his name. Saw him play it close up on stage at Winfield once. Sounded killer.
    Jake Jolliff played a cherry red G110 for a while as a kid, and he turned out OK too.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls