Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bill Collings has passed away

Default Re: Bill Collings has passed away

So, so sad to learn this. So thankful for Bill's work and the legacy that it come of it all.
    RIP, Bill.
    Collings MT-O Sunburst (2014)
    Kentucky KM630 (early 1990s Korean) w/ K&K Twin Internal
    Vega K-Style Mandolin Banjo (1917)
    Vega N-Style 17-Fret Tenor Banjo (1922)
    Deering Goodtime 2 5-String Banjo w/ Resonator

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bergstein View Post
    One final thought. A good friend, himself a superb luthier, who builds guitars and mandolins, some years ago, when Collings brought out his first line of MF5's went and looked at them at a shop. He was so impressed he bought one for himself, and told me, "I'm never going to build another F mandolin, Collings are as good or better as I could ever build." He never built another mandolin and he still has and plays that MF5.
    I have my Collings MT as a reminder of the excellence I want to achieve. A sad loss indeed to the mandolin makers' community.
    Nic Gellie

Sad news. He will be missed!
    Craig Mandola
    Mann SEM-5

I for one would love to hear more stories about Mr. Collings. I have only played one Collings mandolin, a MF5 at Greg Boyd's. I think the year was 2005, very strong sounding and built for the bluegrass player (which I am not).

While I would agree that the Bluegrass player may have been a target market, I have played choro, swing and classical on it. A great instrument is just that. While it may not have the particular sound of a bandolim, it still is a superb sound. Deep, woody, resonant. In the early days I know that Bill made two different mandolins, one "soft" and one "hard" Butch Baldisarri had a "hard" A he was selling that I played back in around 2003 or 4. Butch explained that they had done a lot of tuning on the tone woods, but I understand they dropped the idea in 2005 or 6. I wasn't impressed by the A, it was too "brittle", though in retrospect may have been excellent for choro. Maybe someone closer to the source could give us an overview of the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    I for one would love to hear more stories about Mr. Collings. I have only played one Collings mandolin, a MF5 at Greg Boyd's. I think the year was 2005, very strong sounding and built for the bluegrass player (which I am not).
    Al in PT

I had the pleasure of interviewing Bill Collings for a feature article I wrote for Downbeat magazine. Bill is an industry icon and was the first builder to elevate the use of computer controlled machinery to the level of a true art. He showed the world that high quality instruments could be successfully constructed with automation. The path he blazed has had a huge impact on the world of instrument manufacturing an we all owe him a debt of gratitude.

7. The following members say thank you to Keith Baumann for this post:

Spruce 

Blog Entries

My condolences to his family and friends. The instruments that bear his name are a powerhouse legacy to his skill and vision. Long may his company prosper and continue his ideas.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Traveling Tracks Traveling Tracks's Avatar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxwN1pUJWsQ

My recording from last year: "Angel Band"
    Collings MF

Had no idea he was ill. Bill Collings has made many people very happy including me. Quite a legacy. My condolences to his family and friends.

While I never could come to love the Collings mandolin tone like some others, I have always respected them as being excellent quality ...especially for the price. Bill Collings did a lot for modern mandolin building, as well as other instruments. It's sad to hear that he is no longer a part of it, although his legacy will live on for a long time, I'm sure.

Does anyone have an idea about what this will mean for his company? Is there someone else to take the reins and continue on?
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

The company is made up of a lot of talented people, and I think they were prepared for this. Bill had been sick for a while, so there was some time to plan. Things will move forward.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Living in Austin as I do and visiting the local music shops, you can hardly avoid stories about Bill Collins. I have been waiting to see if Tom Ellis would share some of his experiences with Bill. As most of you will know, they started building instruments at side by side benches in the late 70's.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Have been out of the music loop for a while, and came back today to find this sad news. My thoughts go out to his family, his friends and the whole Collings organization. He was a giant and we will miss him dearly.

This is currently the last picture posted on Gilchrist's website in the new build section, likely at the Colling's shop in the younger days. He obviously touched lots of people far and wide.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	super+2.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	159252  

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mtucker For This Useful Post:

Love the t-shirt. Bill obviously had a good sense of humor. RIP

Bill was a great guy, and a friend in the seventies and early eighties. Although we lost touch when I left Texas, I ran into him in a tavern in Austin, and it was like old times. Once, he repaired my upright bass which had fallen and split the neck from the body of the bass, on a Sunday evening before my gig on Monday. He did a quick, functional and virtually invisible repair, in less time than it took to carry the bass in from the car (maybe an exaggeration). A friend and a gentleman with a great sense of humor.
    <><><>><<><><>
    Start slow, fade early

Blog Entries

Noting it was one year ago today that Bill passed away. The Collings operation is strong and moving forward. They have a great team of long-time employees and haven't missed a step is what we've heard and observed.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    One of the pillars of the golden age of luthiery. RIP Bill

The announcement is on the Collings Facebook page.

Dang.......
    I'm really sorry to hear this.
    Doc Ivory
    -Play loud, live long..

Blog Entries

23. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

I can’t believe it’s been a year already. Collings continues to make stunning instruments. What a legacy Bill left!