Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Prines mandolin player.

Default John Prines mandolin player.

Ok, have to get this off my chest. First off, I've been a huge Prine fan since the late 70's when I was introduced to his music. I've gone to every show I could afford and some that I couldn't. But these days I find myself("Blame it on my ADD" as the song goes) unable to tolerate his live performance solely because of his un-skilled writhing-on-the-stage-like Jim Morrison mandolin player. Now, I understand he and John are old buddies..but..why on earth would someone of Prines musical stature have someone like that as part of his lineup. I've seen 2 shows with him, and couldn't take my eyes off of him(in a bad trainwreck kind of way. The rest of Johns band, a very skilled bunch stand there and play their instruments, meanwhile, the 2 finger G chord mandolin player, squirms around like a 5yr old with a full bladder. Anyone else? Just me?
    '84 Flatiron A5-1 '85 Kentucky KM1500 '86 Flatiron a5-jr '27 Gibson A-jr '88 Flatiron Cadet..MAS anyone?

Default Re: John Prines mandolin player.

someone of Prines musical stature

I will leave that one alone, and mention that he has written some good songs with compelling lyrics that always sound better, to me, when being performed by others - Paradise (Seldom Scene), Hello In There (Cache Valley Drifters), Sam Stone (Al Kooper). In terms of a squirming, rudimentary mandolin picker...well, there's no accounting for taste.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    someone of Prines musical stature

I will leave that one alone, and mention that he has written some good songs with compelling lyrics that always sound better, to me, when being performed by others - Paradise (Seldom Scene), Hello In There (Cache Valley Drifters), Sam Stone (Al Kooper). In terms of a squirming, rudimentary mandolin picker...well, there's no accounting for taste.
    When I say musical stature, I'm referring to his songwriting capabilities. He's one of the highest regarded out there. Personally, I love his singing style, often adds to the color of the song.
    '84 Flatiron A5-1 '85 Kentucky KM1500 '86 Flatiron a5-jr '27 Gibson A-jr '88 Flatiron Cadet..MAS anyone?

Are you talking about Jason Wilbur?
    Thanks for your support?

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't harbored similar thoughts. However, in my experience, sometimes a band member can add something that doesn't necessarily come from a musical place. Perhaps Mr. Prine feels like having an old friend on stage with him makes things more fun? Or he just adds something to the band that we as outsiders don't know about. I only say this as I'm in a band with a husband and wife and I am very good friends with the husband in particular. He is a superb guitarist, singer, and song writer and could certainly have a flashier mandolin player than myself. However, I learn the material and play solid, but most importantly I know how to serve as a buffer between the two (long story) and that makes them have more fun. So there's my long winded example of how I could that there must be something he adds we just don't know about. He certainly doesn't seem to be on par with Jason Wilbur and the bassist on a musical level.

6. The following members say thank you to Trey Young for this post:

Nevin 

I think Pat McLaughlin is touring with John and playing mandolin.

In this clip, it's Pat McLaughlin playing mandolin. It's pretty simple playing, but seems to fit in well with the vibe of the song.

Is this the guy you you were referring to? My understanding is that he is often the opening act for Prine and typically joins in as a guest. I believe he is primarily a guitarist, and because Prine already has Jason Wilber on guitar, perhaps the simple strumming and vocals add something Prine likes.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

His playing doesn't make my socks go up and down, just as happy that the camera man kept off his bladder driven antics. I've never understood that kind of musician, writhing like someone had inserted Monroe's poker somewhere where it might not be pleasant. There seems to be a lot of it though. Heads bobbing like plastic chihuahuas in the back of low riders, accompanied by not very interesting playing. There are exceptions to be sure but, gee!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

10. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

'Bladder Driven Showmanship', sort of like 'Twerking' for old folks.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FLATROCK HILL For This Useful Post:

I expected to see something like Joe Cocker's moves, other that the fact he is tall, and bent over, the moves were not obnoxious to me. Taller people when they dance have moves that can really bring out things shorter people can't seem to imitate. Someone into the music and moving while they play would seem appropriate somehow. I have not had a problem watching Joe Cocker so this is fairly tame.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I'm a Prine fan who has lost touch with him a bit. But watching that video, well he's older now. Aren't we all. But I liked the mandolin accompaniment. No, it didn't make my socks go up and down. And I was grateful for that. Too much of those mandolin sock exercises about.

John Prine sure is a national treasure. Thanks for posting the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    ... just as happy that the camera man kept off his bladder driven antics ...
    Hmmm. Compared to the bobbing and weaving of at least one of the most adulated mandolinists on this forum, this guy's moves don't seem particularly outlandish to me.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Kotapish For This Useful Post:

He's playing a nice vintage Gibson A. I wish he would stand up straighter. Maybe lengthen the strap a bit?
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Blog Entries

I met John Prine in 06 at the Station Inn, he seemed like a good guy

I'm well over 6', mic stands are adjustable.
    You caught my drift just fine Paul!
    Alan, don't forget "The Country Gentlemen" they did "Paradise" as well as a few others from John Prine.
    Side note, how many have seen his brother, David? I was lucky enough to see him and his shadow Tyler Wilson back in the mid/late 70's as the NRA. They were great to see, consummate gentlemen, funny, pleasant in all weather, fine musicians.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Remember John Lennon and Yoko Ono? She'd make your socks stink!
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Packard View Post
    Remember John Lennon and Yoko Ono? She'd make your socks stink!
    Yeh Yoko, her singing if thats thats what you'd call it would make milk curdle instantly!!!

That video was my first exposure to John Prine. Thank you.

The mandolin player in the video cannot be the guy who is apparently offending people. His posture is odd, and he danced a little.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by northfolk View Post
    Are you talking about Jason Wilbur?
    No..

Loved everything about Cocker!!

Quote Originally Posted by sumibuilt View Post
    Ok, have to get this off my chest. First off, I've been a huge Prine fan since the late 70's when I was introduced to his music. I've gone to every show I could afford and some that I couldn't. But these days I find myself("Blame it on my ADD" as the song goes) unable to tolerate his live performance solely because of his un-skilled writhing-on-the-stage-like Jim Morrison mandolin player. Now, I understand he and John are old buddies..but..why on earth would someone of Prines musical stature have someone like that as part of his lineup. I've seen 2 shows with him, and couldn't take my eyes off of him(in a bad trainwreck kind of way. The rest of Johns band, a very skilled bunch stand there and play their instruments, meanwhile, the 2 finger G chord mandolin player, squirms around like a 5yr old with a full bladder. Anyone else? Just me?
    Not sure what there is to dislike about John's mandolin player. Seems like a great accompanist in the video clip. More importantly, best I've heard John sing in years. Prime is a national treasure.

Here's another example of Pat McLaughlin on stage. He does move around when he plays.

This causes me think about the role people play in a band. In Prine's band he's a vocalist and plays mandolin. So both must be important to John. And then there's the reality of traveling and performing together. Could be many reasons that he's a good band mate.

I saw Prine quite a few years ago in a smallish venue that had chairs surrounding small tables so they could serve drinks. A couple of really young guys, barely 21, were seated at the same table with me. I asked if they were Prine fans. They said they never heard of him. But, they had been eating burgers down the street and this guy came up to them and gave them two tickets. It was Prine himself. They were blown away by his generosity and even more so when they heard his songs.
    Pava S/N 21
    Calace Bowlback

27. The following members say thank you to Peter Coronado for this post:

A tele fits him as well as the mandolin. I dig it.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Although Pat doesn't make my socks go up and down either, I have become a firm believer that weird/odd facial expressions and body movements are directly correlated with crazy talent!! Chris Thile, Billy Strings, the INTENSE robotics of Joe Cocker, etc. seem to be positive examples of this theory.... Although attempting the funny facial expressions and movement haven't seemed to help me much... I must be missing a small piece of the equation??
    2014 Gibson 'Harvey' F5G
    1917 Gibson F2
    2013 'The' Loar LM600VS
    2013 Morgan Monroe 4FJ
    Blue Chip Picks
    The Scallywag Social Club

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well he does fidget a bit .... but not enough to take away from the music in the moment. When I do go to a concert it is my ears that are interested in attending ..... movies are for my eyes. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...