Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow! Could it be another NC?

Default Wow! Could it be another NC?

They all sound killer on their instruments.
    I almost see another young Nickel Creek happening here...

Enjoy,
    D
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Jul-14-2017 at 9:56pm. Reason: Fixed YouTube syntax

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Demetrius For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Wow! Could it be another NC?

The video keeps coming up with an error for me.

4. The following members say thank you to CarlM for this post:

Trying to determine which file to embed.

"It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Wow
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

DEFINITELY a group to keep on the radar.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

Are they a group?
    Bill Snyder

Definitely high-level playing but did you take a look at the instruments these kids are playing? Guitar (like a D-45 pearly) and mandolins made by Wayne Henderson, banjo is a Sonny Osborne Chief model. I am sure they would sound very good on lesser instruments but these are all top of the line.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Definitely high-level playing but did you take a look at the instruments these kids are playing? Guitar (like a D-45 pearly) and mandolins made by Wayne Henderson, banjo is a Sonny Osborne Chief model. I am sure they would sound very good on lesser instruments but these are all top of the line.
    I believe the d-45 is a Henderson build too...

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Embedded so I can see it; nicely done!

1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

From Jim Garber - "...but these are all top of the line.".I agree Jim - they'd most likely sound good on 'lesser' instruments,but there's nothing like having a top quality instrument to make you want to play & progress.

As for being another 'Nickle Creek' - i sincerely hope not !. I hope that they stick to music that folks can understand & relate to.
    We don't really need another bunch of 'Wunderkinds',all instrumental virtuosity,but tuneless (IMHO). That pickin' was terrific,but i wonder why the Fiddle didn't kick off ?.

Just as an aside,i did note the way the mandolin player held his instrument - at an angle to his body. That way you don't need a Tonegard to get enough 'volume' out front. But that's a matter of personal taste,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

13. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Don't forget, the fiddle is a genuine Stradjamahoovius! And the bass ... well, bluegrass bands never talk about who built the bass.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius View Post
    I believe the d-45 is a Henderson build too...
    Yes, I said guitar and mandolin by Henderson. I imagine he gets 5 figures for each these days.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

16. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Yes, I said guitar and mandolin by Henderson. I imagine he gets 5 figures for each these days.
    I don't think they're that young? My friend just gave Henderson a whole load of old school Brazilian that he inherited from his gramps and well Henderson built him a bone! for free. So What a nice guy...My friend also had to buy a Henderson F-5 from Dream Guitars, I don't think he'd me mind telling, no names..I just think its super kool that he got a guitar but I guess for the price of Brazilian? and the price Henderson gets-WoW,, I think I'd put my $ in a real old vintage bone before I spent that kind of lettuce on something new but thats me

If I practiced four hours a day for twenty years, would I be able to play as fast as that? Not a hope.

If I lived five minutes from the venue, would I pay money to watch music like that? Probably not.

Different strokes for different folks, of course, but that form of ultra-repetitive, stuck-in-first-position, mind-numbingly-fast bluegrass leaves me cold.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron McMillan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Snyder View Post
    Are they a group?
    Don't think so.

https://ibma.org/front-blocks/ibmas-kids-bluegrass

The other videos from the 2016 IBMA KoBG have some of these same 'kids' playing in a variety of different lineups and often switching instruments. It is sort of like the McDonald's High School All-American Game for Bluegrass musicians.

Nice playing! I saw the guitar player a few years ago at Kaufman Kamp, he was killing it then and seemed like a genuinely nice kid. I've since seen him a few times on Little Big Shots and some area contests, Wayne Henderson built him a guitar and plays with him. Although I admire fast playing like that and doubt I will ever achieve that MPH it does wear on me after a round or two, I just don't think tunes sound that good going that fast but that's me...
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Blog Entries

fast yeh we don't want to ruin the tone of fine instruments!?!?!?!

Maybe they get paid per note?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

From Ron McMillan - "Different strokes for different folks, of course, but that form of ultra-repetitive, stuck-in-first-position, mind-numbingly-fast bluegrass leaves me cold.". I understand that sentiment perfectly,i have my own musical no-go areas. However,i think i'll forgive Bill Monroe for coming up with that one,meanwhile understanding the the underlying musical 'structure' of such tunes,lies in the old Fiddle 'dance tunes' that Bill Monroe grew up with. They were meant to be simple so that folk could dance to them.

My personal dislike is the ''cram as many notes into a bar up & down the neck as tunelessly as possible'' camp, & yes,they are out there !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

25. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    From Ron McMillan - "Different strokes for different folks, of course, but that form of ultra-repetitive, stuck-in-first-position, mind-numbingly-fast bluegrass leaves me cold.".

I understand that sentiment perfectly, i have my own musical no-go areas. However,i think i'll forgive Bill Monroe for coming up with that one.....
    Ivan
    But wasn't Bill Munro's music known for its musical nuances and quirky variations? I'm no bluegrass fan, but if I am listening to it, I enjoy more traditional stuff where the musical delivery is full of character. That couldn't be further removed from the machine-gun robotics of the 'I can play this faster than you' brigade, even if it brings audiences to their feet.

Hi Ron - I think that if you listened to a lot of the music of Bill Monroe,you'll find that it has as many facets as the man himself. His style,both his playing & 'compositional' styles varied over much of his career. I doubt that you could get further apart in his music than 'Big Mon' & say 'Evening Prayer Blues' or 'My Last Days on Earth' - but it's still all Bill Monroe & all has it's place in his legacy,
    Ivan
    ''My Last Days on Earth''

''Roanoke''
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

IMO, Nickel Creek wasn't tuneless or soulless, they were, well, young...I've seen Chris and Sara live in the past few months, and it's impressive how they've matured, especially while growing up making a living at music. Their music has matured with them. You've just gotta have some life experience before you can really understand loss, pain, the blues, and love.

For better or worse, they were my gateway into traditional bluegrass. It's totally fine with me if you don't like them, but I'll respectfully disagree with calling them "tuneless." As if they need defending by me

Impressive picking by these younglings. Man, I do wish I'd have started picking when I was about 5 years old!!
    Chuck

29. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Astro 

Nice picking (although the mandolin player needs to loosen up a bit) but not NC. Nickel Creek had a chemistry to it (and still does) that had nothing to do with how fast they could play. I'm not seeing that here.

Wasn't there another group of IBMA kids way back when that included Michael Cleveland and some others (maybe Chris Thile)?
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

31. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Astro 

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    IMO, Nickel Creek wasn't tuneless or soulless, they were, well, young...I've seen Chris and Sara live in the past few months, and it's impressive how they've matured, especially while growing up making a living at music. Their music has matured with them. You've just gotta have some life experience before you can really understand loss, pain, the blues, and love.

For better or worse, they were my gateway into traditional bluegrass.
    All different strokes, etc, but I'm with you: to say NC was tuneless etc. leaves me scratching my head. Those first couple records had not only very strong playing, but some very good songs IMO. "The Lighthouse's Tale" comes to mind - talk about a great story song.

There was an innocence and purity (i.e. no cynicism) to that first record in particular that I have always enjoyed. In fact, I liked their first couple records better than anything any of them have done since. They got me into acoustic music back then, a sort of gateway for me as well.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caleb For This Useful Post:

AstroCES 

If they just slowed it down to the speed of a smile......

35. The following members say thank you to Upis Land for this post: