Thread: New Mandolin Learner

Default New Mandolin Learner

Hello all,

I am new to Mandolin and i have very lil guitar and drums experience from over a decade ago. I am wanting to learn mandolin for folk music mainly Irish folk. The main question is where should i start if that is my intent?

Thank you everyone

Blog Entries

Default Re: New Mandolin Learner

Free online lessons at Mandolessons.com. Baron Collins-Hill is the instructor. In addition to basic technique video lessons, he has lots of video lessons for individual tunes, including many that have crossed the Atlantic from Ireland to North America.

Also, you will want to bookmark thesession.org -- it is a great source for Irish tunes.

You can also find many lessons from various instructors using Google or the youtube search feature. Brad Laird, Mike Marshall, Pete Martin are all members here (as is Baron C-H) and they have some good videos for free plus even more for a nominal expense. Lots of material out there on the internet.

Welcome to Mandolin Cafe. Good folks with lots of helping hands here. Dig in.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

3. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

I second mandolessons.com and also check this out, http://mandolincompass.com/lessons/beginner/

There are a lot of Youtube videos on the basic mechanics of mandolin playing. You should definitely check out the Online Academy Of Irish Music...they have mandolin instruction as well as play alongs. You can also look at instructions for fiddles, flute and whistle to get a better sense of the ornamentation in the tunes.
    Steve

Blog Entries

Start with basic fundamentals. Skipping this is like planting without any fertilizer. You'll grow at slower pace or suffer from the lack of it. At some point try and learn a tune by ear. I think the tunes I enjoy playing most were learned by ear.

If you're willing to spend a bit of money, I've heard good things about the Online Academy of Irish Music (OAIM). They have a mandolin course taught by Paddy Cummins of Skipper's Alley fame. I haven't tried it myself, but there are some free lessons on Youtube that can get you started to see if you are interested in paying.

https://www.oaim.ie/instrument/10/mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by Jrself2 View Post
    Hello all,

I am new to Mandolin and i have very lil guitar and drums experience from over a decade ago. I am wanting to learn mandolin for folk music mainly Irish folk. The main question is where should i start if that is my intent?

Thank you everyone
    If you're a "work from a book" type person, "Sully's Irish Banjo Book" is a great source of arrangements for a GDAE-tuned instrument. In case you didn't know, an "Irish" tenor banjo is tuned the same as a mandolin, but an octave lower. The subtitle sticker on the cover of my copy reads, in small print, "Suitable also for mandolin". The author makes reference where appropriate to the mandolin, but it's mostly plain sailing. I bought my copy to use with my mandolin but subsequently bought a banjo as well ... so be careful

All the best ... a mandolin and a 6/8 Irish jig were made for each other

Marla Fibish also has a DVD out on Irish tunes and techniques for the mandolin - you can get it from Elderly Instruments website:

https://www.elderly.com/irish-mandol...e.htm?___SID=U
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel