Thread: NMD: The Loar 370 VSM

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Default NMD: The Loar 370 VSM

This morning I opened the box. The Mandolin Store did a great job packing the instrument, and it arrived unscathed. First thoughts having tuned it up and played for a whopping 15 minutes:

Fit and finish are fine. The couple of small imperfections in finish under the fretboard and inside the scroll are totally excusable; I've seen far worse on bigger name/cost instruments.

The scroll clearance is tight, and I mean tight! It took a bit of work to get my Longhollow Softy through the gap.

Tuners seem decent and move smoothly. We'll find out how well they hold soon enough. Strings feel/sound like J-74's to my fingers/ears.

Flat fretboard and modern size fret wire are a new combo to me; I am more used to radius w/modern or flat with smaller wire. Even so, it is a comfortable fretboard. It seems that TMS did a little set-up work; nut slots on upper strings seem to have been filed. Action is pretty much perfect. IDK who added the harmonic suppressor strip under the bridge but I was happily surprised to see it there.

Volume is decent but not overwhelming. Ditto the tone; it sounds a little thin, like a new budget mando will. Chop chords sounded fine, single note articulation up the neck past the 12th fret was also decent.

The Eastman gigbag is surprisingly nicer than I anticipated.

This is my travel axe for festivals, etc. Given I paid $249 for this instrument, I am more than happy between the product itself and the pluses from TMS. That said, I don't think I'd have gotten it at its normal street price. It won't turn a lot of heads among folks here at the Cafe, but for a modest and inexpensive MIC axe I'm looking forward to find out how it plays out in Pickers Paradise at Grey Fox! Ultimately I simply have to give kudos to TMS for a real steal on the value point with this mandolin.
    Last edited by Dave Greenspoon; Jul-12-2017 at 8:53am.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

2. The following members say thank you to Dave Greenspoon for this post:

===========

Default Re: NMD: The Loar 370 VSM

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Greenspoon View Post
    . . . Fit and finish are fine . . . The scroll clearance is tight, and I mean tight! It took a bit of work to get my Longhollow Softy through the gap . . . Tuners seem decent and move smoothly. We'll find out how well they hold soon enough. Strings feel/sound like J-74's to my fingers/ears . . .Flat fretboard and modern size fret wire . . . Volume is decent but not overwhelming. Ditto the tone; it sounds a little thin, like a new budget mando will. Chop chords sounded fine, single note articulation up the neck past the 12th fret was also decent . . . travel axe for festivals, etc. Given I paid $249 for this instrument, I am more than happy . . . It won't turn a lot of heads among folks here at the Cafe, but for a modest and inexpensive MIC axe . . . a real steal on the value point with this mandolin.
    Hey Dave:

Congrats on the new purchase.

The description of your Loar 370 sounds VERY much like how I would describe my 310. Nothing spectacular by any means, but I take it with me practically everywhere I go, and it serves me well.

Enjoy!

Having a mandolin you don't worry about too much is a very good thing. That you have a mandolin you actually enjoy playing at that price is amazing.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

If it's anything like my 220, it'll open up with a bit of time and the right strings. J74's are probably my least favorite strings to use for this mando.

Also beware, once you get used to the flat board/fat frets combo, it'll be hard to go back

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Having a mandolin you don't worry about too much is a very good thing. That you have a mandolin you actually enjoy playing at that price is amazing.
    Ditto that. Think of all the adventures you can have!
    Mandolins: The Loar LM-220; Lyon & Healy Special A #103; Epiphone Mandobird VIII
    Violins: 19th century German Steiner copy; NS Design WAV 4; NS Design WAV 5; Reiter Alien II 7-string
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ausdoerrt

Quote Originally Posted by Ausdoerrt View Post
    If it's anything like my 220, it'll open up with a bit of time and the right strings. J74's are probably my least favorite strings to use for this mando.

Also beware, once you get used to the flat board/fat frets combo, it'll be hard to go back

Ditto that. Think of all the adventures you can have!
    Yup, sounds like my LM-220 also. My wife loves the sound of it when I play leads, but agrees my A Jr blows it out of the water on chords.

BTW, which strings do you like on your 220? Have only tried D'addario. But have some GHS lying around.

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Also interested in suggestions for strings.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

I'm liking GHS silk and steel strings on my MK. Richens up the lows some, but be aware, they sound horrible for a couple of days. At least they do to me.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    Yup, sounds like my LM-220 also. My wife loves the sound of it when I play leads, but agrees my A Jr blows it out of the water on chords.

BTW, which strings do you like on your 220? Have only tried D'addario. But have some GHS lying around.
    I actually really like SIT strings (medium) on mine, especially when they're still relatively new. The unwound strings are clear and loud enough even for busking, while the wound pairs have a decent "punch" to them.

Martin 80/20 Bronze also produce an interesting sound while new, but I once had a set go from "buzzing" to "dead" in one day, which is a pretty big downside.

Disclaimer: I play primarily Irish music on it, so 90% leads.
    Mandolins: The Loar LM-220; Lyon & Healy Special A #103; Epiphone Mandobird VIII
    Violins: 19th century German Steiner copy; NS Design WAV 4; NS Design WAV 5; Reiter Alien II 7-string
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ausdoerrt

10. The following members say thank you to Ausdoerrt for this post: