Thread: install of K&K internal PU

Default install of K&K internal PU

Hi, I just bought a cheap mando a used Loar 310F and want to install the K&K twin internal PU system in it & would like to try to install myself. I've never worked on an instrument but have been working with wood for over 30 years and how bad can I screw up a $200 mando. If you have any tips or what not to do advice I'd appreciate it. It seems trying to work through the F holes is going to a challenge the picture I saw of PU installed was on a mando that the back was removed I'm assuming you can put these in with mando intact.
    Thanks
    Lou

Default Re: install of K&K internal PU

It's not a problem to install with the mandolin intact. They will go just inside the ff holes so you can hold them in with a finger. I like to glue a piece of tape to the pickup, glue a piece of tape to the tape, glue the whole thing to the mandolin. the two pieces of tape create a buffer and warm the sound better than just gluing the pickup to the mandolin. I told K&K about this method a couple years ago and I guess someone here said it is in their instructions now. I have installed and taken out pickups dozens of times trying to get the best install and this is it.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Pops1, I guess I'll wait until I get the instructions before I ask anymore questions about install ! Putting the cart before the horse for sure. I haven't even got the mando yet & I never even held a Loar 310 I'm not expecting much but I'm hoping I like neck and the way it plays. I'm going to be using it with a band and we play for 3-4hrs so I need something that fits. Sound wise I'm thinking with the PU and playing through a Fishman LB the tone and volume of the mando will not be that important. Right now I'm playing a Godin A8 but want to try an arch top as that's what play most of the time.
    Lou

Looks like they did incorporate pops1 suggestion. Here are the installation instructions.

http://kksound.com/pdf/mandolintwin-internal.pdf
    Gail Hester

There are several videos on youtube. Just search "K&K mandolin install".

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Hester View Post
    Looks like they did incorporate pops1 suggestion. Here are the installation instructions.

http://kksound.com/pdf/mandolintwin-internal.pdf
    I prefer to glue the tape in for a more permanent installation, but I feel the double thickness of tape is a warmer sound. Spent a lot of time putting these in and taking them out and trying different installations to get to there.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I prefer to glue the tape in for a more permanent installation, but I feel the double thickness of tape is a warmer sound. Spent a lot of time putting these in and taking them out and trying different installations to get to there.
    What type of tape & glue do you use Pops ?
    Thanks
    Lou

Superglue gel. The last few I used Gorilla super glue gel. It comes in a lager bottle and it was all I could get at the time. It seems to last longer and work well, I will buy it again, tho it is more expensive.

So two layers of tape and then glue that to the underside of the top for the best sound?

That's what I did, seems to be a warmer sound. The tape I used was what K&K sent with the pickup.

Thanks!

I've done several of these, usually taping to the metal part of the pickup and then gluing to the instrument with a couple layers of tape. It works well, haven't had one fall off yet. I'll try the glue-to-tape-to-tape-to-glue method on my next install.

It's always a hassle installing these things. Take your time and it's not hard, just kind of frustrating. Practice a few times with no tape or glue and then try to get it in one go.

Easy if you take your time. I prefer glued in. I use an allen (hex) key to provide the necessary angle and piece of blu tak to hold the pickup on the hex key. You tube and a couple of dry runs and you're good.

Thanks for the help everyone. I got the Loar then spent about 6-7 hrs setting it up it was bad, I had to level a few frets, file the nut & fit the bridge I learned a lot as Ive never done any of that before. It played a lot better and got a noticeable increase in volume after the work but I just didnt like it at all & didnt even try & install the PU I sold the Loar 3 days after I bought it. I bought a 2002 Gibson F9 too replace the Loar what a great sounding mando that F9 is/was but the neck was separating from body so the seller took it back. There I was a brand new K&K & no mando to put it in ! I really really liked the F9, looked at new ones but 4k was out of the question so now I have sent Ratliff a deposit for a Country Boy build Im going to send him the K&K and get it installed as I dont want to attempt it on a brand new mando.
    Lou

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I have been thinking about a pick up myself and someone shared thes videos with me... I thought it was pretty informative on how it's done with the Mando still in one piece of you are curious or want to try in the future:

Part one

Part two
    Last edited by soliver; Aug-25-2017 at 7:47am.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

I would not recommend using a reamer or dremel for the endpin jack. It should be a cylindrical hole for a typical Switchcraft style endpin jack. Just work up your way through 2 or 3 steps of drills just to be safe. Shouldn't take more than 1 minute. Or you could use a step drill to avoid tearout on the outside, and then drill through once the final diameter is reached at the tailpiece end.

I agree with Marty, I use my old Millers Falls and turn the chuck by hand. It is slow and secure, one bit at a time.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I just appreciated his ingenuity in "threading the needle" so to speak ... IOW, how he worked in the confines of the f-holes, not having to remove the top or back. Other people may do it that way, I've just never seen it done and appreciated seeing that aspect... I agree with what your saying about making the hole for the jack... I honestly didn't pay much attention to that part
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    I just appreciated his ingenuity in "threading the needle" so to speak ... IOW, how he worked in the confines of the f-holes, not having to remove the top or back. Other people may do it that way, I've just never seen it done and appreciated seeing that aspect... I agree with what your saying about making the hole for the jack... I honestly didn't pay much attention to that part
    Gotcha. Yeah, it's not that hard, just kind of annoying. You can use a piece of 1/2" (actually I think I use 3/8") vinyl tubing and jam it onto the endpin jack, then through the f-hole, and then through the tailblock to get a nice easy way to install jacks like this.

I have one of those flexible things to pick things up, with fingers that come out when you press the other end. It's a couple feet long and will go into the endpin hole and securely plugs into a 1/4" jack. Pulls it into place nice, use it for guitars too.