Thread: Los Angeles jam sessions

Default Los Angeles jam sessions

Just moved to the area and I would like to find some like minded celtic/old time players who want to get together and play some fiddle tunes. Anyone in the area want to hook up? I currently live in highland park, but I do have my own transportation, so I'm willing to meet up an any area.

Default Re: Los Angeles jam sessions

or any kind of music really... banjo, guitar, mandolin.. lets play. anyone?

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

I went to the second meeting of that Will Rogers jam - more focused so far on singing rather then picking, but I don't think anyone would be averse to more fiddle tunes, as long as a couple people know them. I was hoping to learn some old time tunes to play myself... I won't be at the next one but it might be worth going to ask folks there about other sessions. I got the impression some of the people had been to a session at the Autrey Museum which is a lot closer to Highland Park, but I don't know anything about that. There was a posting about a Celtic jam on the West Side I saw last time I was poking around the forum, but I am really unfamiliar with those tunes so I have never checked it out.

Huh - I never saw this curated list before:
    https://folkworks.org/folk-happenings/ongoing-music/

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mzurer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jmft88 View Post
    Just moved to the area and I would like to find some like minded celtic/old time players who want to get together and play some fiddle tunes. Anyone in the area want to hook up? I currently live in highland park, but I do have my own transportation, so I'm willing to meet up an any area.
    I host an intermediate Irish session on the second Sunday of each month in Westchester (close to LAX), which you are welcome to join. Most of the tunes come from the King Street Session book, which can be download from Pete Braccio's website: http://www.braccio.me/session.html . Send me a PM through the Cafe, and I'll add you to the email list; announcements and lists of tunes played are also posted here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/145933955419064/. The next meeting will be on August 13th from 2 to 4 PM.
    Patrick Melly

that site right there is the business. i might try the will rogers jam on the next go around. but that site has everything. bluegrass old time celtic. thanks dude!

There is an intermediate level bluegrass jam weekly at the Balboa RV Park adjacent to the VanNuys airport. Hosted in the rec/meeting room (with snacks!) Wednesdays from 7 to 9 pm.

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

I love snacks haha!

this is every wednesday?

Yes. Every now and then there is a sick-out, but I would say it happens 45 out of 52 weeks a year . . .

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

If you come up to Santa Barbara we have an old-time jam on Wednesday evenings in Alice Keck Park Park during the summer. Rusty's Pizza on Carrillo St. usually in the winter. There's a mandolin player who comes up from LA there most weeks. Not much singing, though.

Tunes Played at the Intermediate Session, 3/11/18 - Westchester (West LA near LAX) Next Session 4/8/2018

Jerry’s Beaver Hat, Captain Campbell, Brenda Stubbert’s, Planxty Davis, Silver Spear, Far from Home, The Humours of Ballyloughlin
    Out on the Ocean, The Merry Blacksmith, Christy Barry’s #1 & 2, Full Rigged Ship, New Rigged Ship, Ballydesmond Polkas #1 & 2
    Si Beag Si Mohr, Lilting Banshee, The Boys of Bluehill, Kid on the Mountain, Morning Dew, The Star of Munster, Swallowtail Reel
    Drowsy Maggie, Julia Delaney. Peacock’s Feather, Lark in the Morning, Cooley’s Reel, Banish Misfortune, Farewell to Whisky
    The Musical Priest, Earl’s Chair, Flowers of Edinburgh, Temperence Reel, Fermoy Lasses
    Patrick Melly

Hi!

Are you still looking for a jam person? I reside near Downtown L.A. I’d be honor to get pickin’ with you!