Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: White Mandolins

Default Re: White Mandolins

I had the good fortune to play White #6 before it was shipped to Trey. It is a beautiful sounding mandolin and the playability is as good as it gets. I've talked with Tyler at great length about all aspects of mandolin building. He's got an artist's eye, impeccable hand skills, and great taste. He's learning a lot with every new build and I have no doubt he's got a fine mandolin building future ahead of him. Definitely one to watch. Plus he's about as nice and polite a guy as you could ever hope to work with.

2. The following members say thank you to Doug Freeman for this post:

Headed down to see Tyler on Friday!! He's got a brand new one strung up that I'm gonna test drive. Whoever that one is for, don't worry....I'll be gentle. If I can record it, I'll try to post.

Oh, by the way, Tyler is having some tech issues with his website email, so if you write him and haven't heard back, he will reply eventually. They just aren't coming thru to him right away.
    Gilchrist F5 Mandolin #273, 1993, built for Tom Rozum
    Apitius Vanguard F5 Custom Mandolin 2019
    White Mandola (custom build, expected April, 2023)
    Sumi Sullivan F-5 Mandolin 2003
    Weber Diamondback Octave F-Style Mandolin 2014
    Flatiron Cadet “Army-Navy” Flat Top Mandolin 1987
    Martin HD-28V Guitar 2004

Hey Trey Young!
    Good to see such a cool mandolin in The Peach State. Would love to hear it in person. Let us know where you're going to be pickin. I'm about an hour South of Hotlanta.

I really like hearing that the playability of these White mandolins is so nice. I care most about playability. Then tone and looks.

RE:Peter White mandolins,I have only played one. It was in a violin shoppe in Albuquerque;an A-style oval-hole. STILL kicking myself for not getting that one!
    It was a peach.

Quote Originally Posted by V70416 View Post
    RE:Peter White mandolins,I have only played one. It was in a violin shoppe in Albuquerque;an A-style oval-hole. STILL kicking myself for not getting that one!
    It was a peach.
    I believe that was Peter's shop. I visited him the last time I was in Albuquerque (way before it achieved its infamy as the town in Breaking Bad).
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I was responding right after he posted his first ad and haven't heard anything back so I hope he gets back to me.I'm serious about one of his builds.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by ll144 View Post
    I was responding right after he posted his first ad and haven't heard anything back so I hope he gets back to me.I'm serious about one of his builds.

Larry
    If he has been having problems with his site I would contact him again.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Hey V70416! Don't currently have anything scheduled south of Atlanta (we were in Tifton at the beginning of the month), but the next gig we have scheduled in the area is at the Crimson Moon in Dahlonega. Let me know if you're coming up for that gig and I'll make sure you get a chance to check out #6.

As far as contacting Tyler, I know he has a Facebook page for Pinehouse Guitars and I've contacted him via messenger....

1924 Gibson A Jr. Snakehead
    2004 Elkhorn A-5, #3
    2016 White F-5, #6

I'm on the list for probably around spring next year.I sure would like to hear 8,9 and 10 when they get to their new owners.

Larry

Hey Everyone -

Had an absolutely fantastic meeting with Mr. Tyler White yesterday, and I can only say that he exceeded our expectations in every sense of the word. His shop, professionalism, and above all his exquisite craftsmanship left us with the impression that we had come across a truly gifted individual. I officially have a White on order and I simply cannot wait. The instrument I played (don't recall which number) was still very green, but the rich tone that came out of that thing left me completely speechless. Been at this mandolin game for a long time, and I don't think I've ever heard that kind of sound come out of a newborn mandolin quite like this. Are there better? Sure, if you're willing to pay 8-10 times the price. I won't name other builders, but The White completely outperformed at least 3 big name builders who sell in the $5,000 range for brand new, never played, non customized instruments. I know we can't all make the trip, but I can confirm that The White produces the same sound you hear on Tyler's video clips.
    As for customization Tyler takes the time to understand the sound you're looking for, and he will customize within reason (he is, after all, creating his brand and wants to stay within certain standards - probably not gonna make you a green Mando with a square scroll and unicorn inlaid on the fingerboard). Point is, Tyler is the real thing. And he plans to be around for a long long time.

Anybody have any questions, please feel free to PM me or just ask in this post. I'll advise Tyler again about his email - but try him thru his Facebook page.

Hey All -

Just saw that Tyler posted this earlier this eve. I think this was the one I played when I visited last Friday. Just excellent quality all around. Enjoy!!

https://youtu.be/Y8Z3CUCZYkQ

Got the funds to cover the White that's on order!!

Any other White owners out there? I've been working closely with Tyler to plan out exactly what we wanted to do with my mandolin on order. He's been exceptionally professional and patient with my endless questions. Eager to hear from any new White owners, if you're out there. Has anyone played a White on stage?

Tyler posted a pic of #9 on FB just delivered yesterday. What # are you in line for?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	white.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	160973
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

That's a great one. Said that the owner picked it up last night.

I'm officially on track for #12. I think Tyler may be working on 2 at a time....best case right now is end of December, just in time for Christmas.

Hey All -

Thought this was pretty cool...Tyler sent a pic of his most recent work. This is the back on #10.

Name:	14995629-326A-413D-8FB6-0D48AA31DA63.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	542.0 KB 
ID:	162330

17. The following members say thank you to mandoglobal for this post:

Here’s a couple others that were in the works some time back.

Name:	DD704392-9DBC-48FC-85CB-E88A38261845.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	432.3 KB 
ID:	162331

19. The following members say thank you to mandoglobal for this post:

#8 is in the classifieds. NFI. Sure sounds great to my ear. Below's the video.

2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Grieser For This Useful Post:

Hey Don - thanks for posting that. I saw the classified posting late last night. I continue to be completely impressed with the sound his work created. By the way, I just recently figured out what NFI means....and I feel like I should be clear with this posting: I have NO financial interest in any of this. Just really excited about what Tyler White is doing.

Yes #8 does sound good. That's a very tempting mandolin. With the discussion on his mandolins lately I'm surprised it's still there.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by addamr View Post
    Yes #8 does sound good. That's a very tempting mandolin. With the discussion on his mandolins lately I'm surprised it's still there.

Adam
    I thought the same - figured maybe it was because people are occupied with the holiday weekend.

Though there is no mention of it being sold in the classifieds, it says that on his web site. Anyone here order it?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Though there is no mention of it being sold in the classifieds, it says that on his web site. Anyone here order it?
    If I recall correctly, it said “sold” on his website as soon as he delivered it to the original owner. Probably still available, just needs to update his web page.

I am not on a list to get one of his yet, but I hope to soon. I’m still saving up for one, and after countless hours of research I stumbled upon Tyler’s mandolins awhile back, and I’m very impressed with the attention to detail and the sound from the videos, and they’re in a very reasonable price range! I plan on getting on his list within the next several months, and I’m really looking forward to it. I’ve emailed Tyler back and forth some asking questions about possibilities, and he’s been more than nice and very helpful,(a ton more so than another unnamed builder I contacted before him). I’m also hoping that by the time I’m ready to order one he might be willing to try using tortoise binding, we shall see!
    2019 Tyler White custom F5 #17
    2012 Huss and Dalton RD-M
    2019 Gann resonator guitar

https://www.youtube.com/user/kinmanknives

Quote Originally Posted by Skaggs2.0 View Post
    I’ve emailed Tyler back and forth some asking questions about possibilities, and he’s been more than nice and very helpful,(a ton more so than another unnamed builder I contacted before him).
    I'd place a lot of stock in that helpfulness, though sadly that didn't work out for me. The custom builder I dealt with, whose reputation here is somehow intact, in the end treated me awfully, and after more than three years of messing me around while I exercised undue patience and consideration for the litany of excuses he sent my way, abandoned me with a terribly flawed instrument because he could no longer be bothered sorting it out for me. Having seen Mr White's instruments and read everything here about him, I'd be confident you'll be onto a better deal with a more honest builder than I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    I'd place a lot of stock in that helpfulness, though sadly that didn't work out for me. The custom builder I dealt with, whose reputation here is somehow intact, in the end treated me awfully, and after more than three years of messing me around while I exercised undue patience and consideration for the litany of excuses he sent my way, abandoned me with a terribly flawed instrument because he could no longer be bothered sorting it out for me. Having seen Mr White's instruments and read everything here about him, I'd be confident you'll be onto a better deal with a more honest builder than I was.
    Hey Ron - hate to hear that. To call it unacceptable would be an understatement. I have to tell you that Tyler has displayed endless, almost infinite patience with me throughout this entire process. And I’ve thrown plenty of frustrating opportunities at him. Tyler knows how to guide customers, how and when to stretch himself, and even how to say “no” in the best possible way, all while being friendly and demonstrating a genuine, relaxed professionalism. I wouldn’t believe it if I hadn’t witnessed it repeatedly first hand. He’s the real deal.

30. The following members say thank you to mandoglobal for this post: