Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Sunburst Thread...

Default Re: Another Sunburst Thread...

This is the only gun I've ever used for sunbursting. Got it in 1981. It was recommended by one Mr. Kemnitzer as an all purpose color and lacquer gun. Got a bigger Sata for lacquer but the Binks is still great for shellac seal coats.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0762.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	159062  

2. The following members say thank you to Jim Hilburn for this post:

Spruce 

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    Tom, step #1 when doing a new color/finish procedure is "practice on scrap".
    This stuff can be unpredictable. What you think will work might not work, what works for someone else might not work for you... When we get the results we want on scrap wood, only then do we apply the procedure to our instrument.
    Thanks, John. Clear, concise, good advice. I did a little testing on scrap but the final color result really didn't matter a whole lot to me on this one. I got plenty of experience removing the lacquer and redoing the finish several times to try different approaches, so it was a good schooling for me. All of my instruments have been hand rubbed stain, and all but one have been french polished with shellac based finishes, so the real lesson was that spraying tinted lacquer is a bit different technique and not quite as easy as the videos make it look. Couldn't tell from Spruces posts if he has experience spraying lacquer, but I wanted to advise some caution if he hasn't done it.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

4. The following members say thank you to Tom Haywood for this post:

Spruce 

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Haywood View Post
    Couldn't tell from Spruces posts if he has experience spraying lacquer, but I wanted to advise some caution if he hasn't done it.
    Unfortunately, I do...
    Gawd, I hate the stuff, and am pretty sure it's caused the deaths of quite a few in the luthier community...
    I'm not very good at spraying lacquer, but you don't really have to be if you're mostly doing antiquing...
    Got a pit in the finish?? No biggie--we'll make it a ding...

6. The following members say thank you to Spruce for this post:

As for testing on scrap, isn't it also wise to test on scrap from the same material (scrap from the "trimmings") rather than scrap old another piece of similar specie?
    Does that make any sense?
    I mean test a scrap of the same specific material not just a similar piece of spruce or maple or any other stock.
    Talk about making the point the hard way!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I suppose it would be ideal to test on scrap of the same wood, but that isn't always feasible. Similar wood will yield similar results, so that is the route most traveled.
    What is more important is to prepare the scrap in the same way as the actual work. That means sand it thoroughly to the same grade of sandpaper and use the same color/finish materials and procedures as the actual work.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

Once again, good point John!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett