Thread: Kentucky 606 purchase

Default Kentucky 606 purchase

Hey all. Got some gas and purchased a km-606 from Elderly. I feel like I took a big leap of faith knowing it's not a vetted model. Hopefully when it arrives I can share the experience. Granted I play drums and guitar mostly. I'm all over on bass, lap steel, keyboard, signing. I've really wanted to get into Mandolin. Played Banjo and have a not so great Vietnam mando now. Really looking forward to holding it. Maybe I can help a perspective buyer down the road.

Default Re: Kentucky 606 purchase

Congratulations! I have no experience with that particular model, but Kentuckys in general seem to have a pretty good reputation, and Elderly sets up their mandolins (unless it specifically states "as is,") so it should be easy to play. Enjoy

I was unfamiliar with the 606 until I googled it just a moment ago. I like it. I think the plain look is cool looking. Time will tell if the sound is acceptable to you, but I have a feeling you'll be happy. Best of luck.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

I've had a couple Kentucky's, I really like them. I haven't gotten any mandolins from Elderly but I'm sure I've never seen anybody get a bum instrument from them (except the As-is which they advertise loudly as needing fixes), which means yours is vetted by them according to my definition.

Probably if you want an experienced player to look it over, you can find a local jam, meetup.com has a bunch in my area. If you can't, say roughly where you're located and someone will pipe up.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

The one I played was a good sounding, good playing mandolin that was visually rough and very plain. It had all the important stuff though, and should serve you well for years. Amazing they could do an F style at that price.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    Hopefully when it arrives I can share the experience.
    Hopefully the 606 I ordered back in May shows up before yours, and I beat you to the review. (I really don’t care who gets what first, but that window for “June shipment” has come and gone, and I’m getting a tad antsy.)

Out of idle curiosity, what about the 606 appealed to you enough to wait until the end of August for it to ship? Versus spending the same amount on something available to ship now? I’ll go first: because I ordered during a very brief window when the price was considerably lower than it is now, and it is very likely to turn out to be a better festival/camping mandolin than my current Michael Kelly. That, and apparently I’m in the minority, I kind of like the look. (If I need shiny finish and fancy binding, I’ll get the Pava out.)

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Kentucky 606 purchase

Kentucky makes a great mandolin. This one looks very toneful-- meaning the woody look gives it that "serious mandolin meant to be played" appeal. Can you say, Gibson F-9? Let us know how it plays and sounds! Congrats!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Gryphonstrings has two very different 606's

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandolinstew View Post
    Gryphonstrings has two very different 606's
    The one with the thinner finish must be from a new batch, as the one with the more opaque finish has been there a while. And, wow, were I given the choice I hope mine comes with the new finish. The wood grain itself isn't going to win any awards, but I like it versus the "glom on some finish until the woodgrain is covered" of the older one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stewart View Post
    The one with the thinner finish must be from a new batch, as the one with the more opaque finish has been there a while. And, wow, were I given the choice I hope mine comes with the new finish. The wood grain itself isn't going to win any awards, but I like it versus the "glom on some finish until the woodgrain is covered" of the older one.
    Agreed!

There was only one at Gryphon a few weeks ago.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Elderly called,will ship the 606 friday(Happy Bastille Day)

Blog Entries

Mine's shipping, too. With you in NY and me waay out here Seattle, I guess you can tell me how yours is while I wait for UPS.

Blog Entries

FedEx says Thursday, juuuuust in time for the Darrington festival. Assuming the setup is even close to usable, he’ll make his debut at the jam circle.

Hmm, some kind of time limit on editing posts? Would have tacked this onto the end of my last otherwise.

Got home from work and FedEx showed up with the 606.Been playing for an hour and it sounds better and better.All set up,just had to tune.It is built well(two tone bars)good neck and frets.It is DARK,looks black from across the room.Close up with light you can see the grain,look real close and see sandpaper scratch which does not bother me.This bugger is not going to live in a case and can go anywhere.Much better than that Michael Kelly and a good price every Scotsman will like.

16. The following members say thank you to mandolinstew for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks, mandolinstew, “better than the MK” is all I needed to hear, because that’s all it needs to do: be a better festival mandolin. Now if that wagon train to Seattle that’s carrying mine would just hurry up and get here...

Blog Entries

My 606 showed up on Thursday, just in time for my father to drop by somewhat unannounced (which is why I didn't get to go to Darrington). So I've only got a few hours at best on the new acquisition. But straight out of the box, there's no question it's an upgrade from the $199 Michael Kelly in terms of tone, which is all I was looking for. I can't say enough good things about Elderly's setup on an instrument that they probably sold at cost (I was one of the four that got it at substantially below the $525 they're asking now). Action is just right, no buzzes, intonation is spot on. I didn't do a thorough check, but frets seem level; certainly no dead frets like the MK had out-of-the-box.

Fit and finish are "good enough". I can see why we get a variety in what pictures display, the finish really depends on the lighting. In the backyard in the sun, the wood grain easily shines through the finish. Not the best looking wood, but again if you're buying this for the looks, you bought the wrong mandolin IMO. In the house, with sun shining through the windows, the wood isn't quite as visible. And at night with just the house lights, the finish looks pretty opaque. But there is no glaring sloppiness on the fit and finish, so again "good enough".

But now the big question, since few others will pay as low a price as I, as far as a $525 mandolin goes: how is it? I don't have a good answer because I don't play a lot of instruments in that range. Certainly better than the MK, not even close to the Pava (duh). Better than cheaper Kentuckys I've played, louder than my Gibson A-50. I can't say I'm good at picking out what a "bluegrassy" tone is, but if forced to do so I'd say it is closer to what I think "bluegrassy" is than other low-end mandolins. Good G string for the money, I think. It's more balanced than I would have expected for the price, no course of strings really stands out a whole lot more than the others (keeping in mind I've only got a few hours on it).

I'll post later on when I have some more miles on it. For now, I'd say it's not a great mandolin, but I don't think you'd be disappointed if you dropped $525 on it. That's assuming you can get past the looks, or maybe even (like me) kind of like the look.

Not real without pictures...
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Blog Entries

Dude, I've barely had time to play it, let alone take pictures. I'll see what I can do tomorrow. Sun ought to be out, I'll take some with good lighting.

21. The following members say thank you to Mike Stewart for this post:

Well, I usually make my impulsive amazon purchases late at night after having some red wine, but this morning I pulled the trigger on a KM-606 when I realized that at $714 Canadian (~$540 USD) it is more than 100 bucks less than the KM-150 is selling for in Canada right now. I have admired the look of this model since it was released in 2017. It is also my first F-style since I parted with my Loar LM-600 years ago. Looking forward to playing it as soon as I get it a proper set up. Now I just need to figure out what instrument to sell to subsidize this completely spontaneous purchase!

Nice... I almost bought one in December after watching the price go down for several consecutive days... it made it to about $550 USD, and I told my self "wait one more day and see what happens." The next day it went right back up to full retail. Oh well, hope it works out.
    '91 Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A / Eastman MD-315