Thread: Pedals anyone?

Default Pedals anyone?

I know this isn't directly mando related, although I use the same rig for my electric mandos and tenors, but it is all about electrics and though some folks around here would like to see how I've configured my 1-Man Band setup.

Got to admit it's taken this long for the tech to be able to do this, but it sure is nice to be able to jam as and when I please.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Verne Andru For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pedals anyone?

Verne I think you could fly a 747 with that set up.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

I had to double check that I was on the Cafe and not The Gear Page! Nice rig Verne!
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

5. The following members say thank you to Dave Greenspoon for this post:

Cool! You're giving me ideas here. I don't have any pedals at all yet, but they look like fun!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Verne I think you could fly a 747 with that set up.
    Thanks but that's only the part you see. I'm doing a 1-man 3-camera shoot with multiple audio and mic sources while I'm trying to fly the rig!

Practice makes perfect, as they say...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    Cool! You're giving me ideas here. I don't have any pedals at all yet, but they look like fun!
    If you think MAS is bad, wait until you get into pedals...

- ---==< V >==--- -

8. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    Thanks but that's only the part you see. I'm doing a 1-man 3-camera shoot with multiple audio and mic sources while I'm trying to fly the rig! ...
    Yeah I like the different camera angles, awesome work there too! Synchronizing all the videos can't be easy, either... I'm sufficiently challenged just trying to put together two video-only tracks + 2 audio-only tracks in Adobe After Effects (probably not the right tool for the job but it's what I already have).

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    ... If you think MAS is bad, wait until you get into pedals...
    Well... if I can still keep using my $50 Rogue and my old cheap electric guitar, heck I'll actually *save* money in the long run, by buying pedals instead of more mandolins... Seems perfectly logical to me.

That's the evil part of it - you can get a few dozen pedals for the cost of a descent mandolin. Hardly seems fair!

- ---==< V >==--- -

11. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

Blog Entries

Well... if I can still keep using my $50 Rogue and my old cheap electric guitar, heck I'll actually *save* money in the long run, by buying pedals instead of more mandolins... Seems perfectly logical to me.
    Hee heeeee.

People go broke every day trying to save money by buying things. Makes perfect sense.

I have gone through a couple of rounds of PAS, and it has settled down a little bit now that I have a sound or two that I like. But it will flare up again I am sure.

The entire staff
    funny....

13. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Recalling .. from by gone era..
    Jesse 'lone cat' Fuller acoustic, one man band. author of the 'San Francisco Bay Blues'..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Fuller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBME_J0pf3o
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

15. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Hee heeeee.

People go broke every day trying to save money by buying things. ...
    Probably the best investment I've ever made, is the little Roland Micro Cube I bought a few years ago when I fancied I might become a 'normal' musician and play electric guitar in the usual way.

But eventually I could not resist the temptation to retune the guitar to 5ths and play fiddle tunes on it.

The combination of Roland effects plus fiddle tunes, on GDAE (or usually GDAEB or sometimes CGDAEB) electric guitar, opened up a whole new world of inspiration that has kept me busy ever since.

Before that, I'd been stagnating, bored with my own music, didn't know what to do next (that's why I'd thought to learn normal guitar, just for something new to learn, it was either that or just quit playing altogether), but a few simple Roland Micro Cube effects changed all that and gave me a whole bunch of new sounds to explore. (NFI, of course, I just like the product, there are probably/maybe other brands that would work just as well, or effects-pedals or something too I suppose.)

It's also saved me a bunch of money in that I no longer feel the urge to load up acoustic instruments in the car and drive to faraway places that have great natural reverb (tunnels, remote underpasses, tall building stairwells etc), just to get that nice reverb effect while practicing. Nope, I don't need to burn a bunch of fossil fuels for that anymore, I just turn a knob on the Roland. Love it! I can get great reverb right in my own living room, makes practice *so* much more inspiring than playing a 'dry' acoustic sound for hours on end.

It also makes me contented with my cheap instruments, so I sincerely feel no urge to go out and buy more Gibsons and Grimes etc like I used to have decades ago before I discovered electric music.

Back then, if I wanted a better sounding instrument, I had to buy a whole new better-quality instrument, which was ok I guess because I had a good job and could afford such silliness. But now I'm retired on a fixed income so I really appreciate what a few simple electric effects can do.

... I have gone through a couple of rounds of PAS, and it has settled down a little bit now that I have a sound or two that I like. But it will flare up again I am sure.
    My acquisition weakness has been Photoshop filters. Fortunately I now have all the ones I need (really??!?), but for a while there in 1998 and onwards when I was new to Photoshop, there were just *so* many "must-haves", they were so hard to resist... why resist? If you can afford 'em, buy 'em. If not, save up and then buy 'em, or at least think about buying them.

I have not yet even Googled to see what coolness exists in a more recent software thing I'm doing (Adobe After Effects video editor), I don't want to get started with another round of software-acquisition syndrome. Gonna be happy with what I have! (really??!) Lol.

But back to the topic here... Just one pedal to start with... just one... but, which? So many cool choices... hmm...

Edited to add:
    I think if I had to start with just one pedal (in addition to the non-pedal Roland effects I already have), I'd probably see if there was a pedal that would do a precision user-adjustable delay (or whatever) to make a 4-string electric mandolin sound like an 8-string mandolin, without making it sound weird or obviously 'electric', rather just an 8-string simulator. I wonder if such a thing exists and what the settings would be? Hmm... (My motivation for seeking such a thing is: arthritis. 4 strings are less damaging to the finger joints than 8 strings. My current 8-string mando is already using extra-extra-light strings plus it's set up to be one fret shorter than normal, for less string tension, but even with all that I still usually just use the capo'd GDAE guitar for faux-mando practice although that doesn't sound like a real mandolin.)
    Last edited by Jess L.; Jul-12-2017 at 6:39pm.

Edited to add:
    I think if I had to start with just one pedal (...), I'd probably see if there was a pedal that would do a precision user-adjustable delay (or whatever) to make a 4-string electric mandolin sound like an 8-string mandolin, without making it sound weird or obviously 'electric', rather just an 8-string simulator. I wonder if such a thing exists and what the settings would be?
    That is basically what a "chorus" pedal does - provide some signal delay, add pitch/phase shifting (making some slightly out-of-tune) and tonal coloring.

Won't sound like an acoustic 8-stringer, but will add body and flesh out the sound.

A buddy has a VG Strat which has a very, very good 12-string guitar simulation mode. If Roland can nail it with guitar, they should be able to do the same for mandolin but they are a funny company and tend to stick to the beaten path more often than not.

- ---==< V >==--- -

18. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

Blog Entries

I am down to four. Reverb, chorus, overdrive, fuzz, and an octave pedal.

Reverb - to put me in a big room, or a really big room, without leaving the living room.

Chorus - to add some subtle vibrato to those extended notes I dare not tremolo.

Overdrive - so that I don't have to overdrive the amp and peel the paint off the walls to sound like I am overdriving the amp and peeling the paint off the walls.

Fuzz - heavy metal fiddle tunes anyone?

Octave - cheaper than getting an electric octave mandolin, while still getting the sounds. (Yea someday I will get that five string electric octave.)

Ooops. That's five.

The entire staff
    funny....

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Chipping in.
    I've got EHX pedals
    - POG (the big one)
    - MEL9 - the mellotron pedal
    - Freeze (though that new pedal design sustainer that was at NAMM appeals!)

About to get a TC delay 2nd hand (i never buy new pedals!) which has a dial for subdivisions. I grew up loving new wave guitar bands like the CHameleons ..

and then some BOSS reverb pedal.

Could do with an OD pedal. First though, I've got a trigger to pull on an electric....
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Got 2 multi EFX from Y'ha.. DG & AG, the newer ones more digital LCD , scroll knobs, etc, I got the older ones.. steel case, stomp buttons.
    these are both stereo Line Out.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

OK you pedal folks. How do you preserve the settings you worked so hard to figure out. Do you write them down? Just remember them? Is there a notation or format in which to write them on an index card for future reference? Or do you just figure it out all over again each time.

I have started taking a picture with my cell phone when I have settings that I like. I have about three sets of settings I rotate between and so I have three pictures saved, with hopefully descriptive names.

The entire staff
    funny....

OK you pedal folks. How do you preserve the settings you worked so hard to figure out.
    Good question. I just "wing it."

- ---==< V >==--- -