Thread: That Gil Can Sing!

Default That Gil Can Sing!

Back in April I posted about Mandolin Orange; a folk duo out of NC (Andrew Marlin and Emily Frantz) that I just started listening to on Youtube. There was a comment on my thread about the A5 "Ella" Andrew was playing at the time.

We made it to their show last night in Breckenridge, CO (regardless of the forest fire burning a mile NW of town). Thinking I'd get to hear the aforementioned "Ella", Andrew came out with what I could swear was a Gilchrist....and that thing blew the roof off the Breckenridge Riverwalk Center!!

Late in the show, Emily pointed out Andrew's 'new mandolin' and he went on to do some shredding to the appreciative audience. Whether it was down low or up high on the fret board that mandolin just plain sang!

This is my first time ever listening to a Gil and the great acoustics in the hall easily carried their music clear around the room. Is anyone familiar with his new mandolin? If I misread the headstock - forgive me (I was front row). Anyway, Andrew and Emily are superb musician/singers and I hope you find a concert near you - won't be disappointed.

My earlier thread:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...ghlight=Orange
    Last edited by Al Trujillo; Jul-07-2017 at 6:58pm.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Al Trujillo For This Useful Post:

Default Re: That Gil Can Sing!

I'm curious now because before Ella he had purchased another Sullivan F then he purchased a Duff F. I'm pretty sure his Duff went to the great mando player in Chatham county line. I haven't seen his F Sullivan once he got Ella his A Sullivan. However recently he purchased a Henderson F but that has no name on the headstock, neither does his Sullivan's. You take any pics of the one he played? He's obsessed with mandolins, I wouldn't doubt he bought another one after getting hit with his MAS especially after picking up an incredible Gil mandolin. For some reason I haven't seen a new YouTube clip of them in a while which is weird because they are on tour. I normally would see a new clip someone posted of them almost daily. I wanna see what mandolin you are talking about...
    By any chance did you notice if the tailpiece was dark like this Henderson in the pic? His Sullivans have that same tailpiece too but if you saw a logo on the headstock that out rules that

Name:  673071890.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  36.5 KB

Correction: My mistake his Henderson does say Henderson on the Headstock. There is a good chance that you saw his Henderson...
    Last edited by Demetrius; Jul-08-2017 at 10:30am.

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius View Post
    You take any pics of the one he played?

I wanna see what mandolin you are talking about...
    Name:  673071890.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  36.5 KB

Correction: My mistake his Henderson does say Henderson on the Headstock. There is a good chance that you saw his Henderson...
    Here's a picture I took from the front row. The gent to my right and I talked about it after and his initial thought was the name on the headstock started with a 'G' but he was pretty sure it wasn't a Gibson. I can't say with 100% confidence that it said Gilchrist but Emily did mention that it was Andrew's new mandolin and my impression from that is that he hasn't had it for very long. Interesting that when he came on stage and when he left he had it with him in his hands - can't blame him for that !!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

I wanted to send them an email to thank them for the great show...and also to ask about the mandolin. I still may try on their website.

PS: On their FB page I see pictures of Andrew playing a mandolin with a flowerpot on it (as also shown on the Sullivan website). This one was definitely script.
    Last edited by Al Trujillo; Jul-08-2017 at 2:31pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Trujillo View Post
    Here's a picture I took from the front row. The gent to my right and I talked about it after and his initial thought was the name on the headstock started with a 'G' but he was pretty sure it wasn't a Gibson. I can't say with 100% confidence that it said Gilchrist but Emily did mention that it was Andrew's new mandolin and my impression from that is that he hasn't had it for very long. Interesting that when he came on stage and when he left he had it with him in his hands - can't blame him for that !!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

I wanted to send them an email to thank them for the great show...and also to ask about the mandolin. I still may try on their website.

PS: On their FB page I see pictures of Andrew playing a mandolin with a flowerpot on it (as also shown on the Sullivan website). This one was definitely script.

The flowerpot mando is his Sullivan. I for some reason can't get to the picture that you posted here.

Love Mandolin Orange. He's come a long way from his Eastman mandolin days.

https://youtu.be/2Cpf8SBwFcw

Not sure if he is playing the Gil, in this new video, but whatever it is it is some serious tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIQ_ztX9rVQ

I tried a couple different ways to reach out to Andrew and did get a response from someone on the production team who was going to ask but I never heard from them again.

Andrew...if you and Emily are out there and drop into MC - give us a shout and solve this for us.

I heard he recently got a Gilchrist 5 that is indeed toneful and loud. I hope to run into him here in town.