Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baritone ukulele conversion

Default Baritone ukulele conversion

Ukecello = Baritone ukulele tuning CGDA (C2G2D3A3). Same tuning as a cello.
    String from "Pyramid 7String Classical Guitar Set I"

String B1 - tuning C2
    String E2 - tuning G2
    String A2 - tuning D3
    string D3 - tuning A3
    B3 Not used
    E4 Not used

My books - books
    My videos -YouTube
    Duo UF UF - YouTube

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ondrej For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Baritone ukulele conversion

My books - books
    My videos -YouTube
    Duo UF UF - YouTube

Sounds good to me, did you do any other modifications to the instrument other than using the 7 string classical guitar strings?

Quote Originally Posted by Seter View Post
    Sounds good to me, did you do any other modifications to the instrument other than using the 7 string classical guitar strings?
    Thank you.
    I did not make any other modifications.

Over time, I'm modifying the nut.
    My books - books
    My videos -YouTube
    Duo UF UF - YouTube

Oh, wow - that sounds much better than I would have ever thought! Now you have me seriously wanting to buy a second baritone ukulele just to try this, since I've been having so much fun with my octave mandolin tuned one!

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    Oh, wow - that sounds much better than I would have ever thought! Now you have me seriously wanting to buy a second baritone ukulele just to try this, since I've been having so much fun with my octave mandolin tuned one!

bratsche
    Thanks. Yes the sound is wonderful.

You'd better buy a cheap ukulele. I can not calculate the tension of the strings.

I hope neck on the ukulele will not break.

So far, everything holds

Ondrej
    My books - books
    My videos -YouTube
    Duo UF UF - YouTube

If I could only find a low-tension single string that would work for a low C, I'd definitely try it... I love the G, D and A combination I'm using now on the octave version (Thomastik flatwound G, plain fluorocarbon D and I think a nylon A, but am not 100% sure), the tension is very soft, delightful sounding and playing and very well-matched, and I don't think the neck is in any danger... but where to find a suitable C string? - that is the question!

Just what I needed, something new to obsess over.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

I am tempted as well. Baritone ukuleles can be had for fairly cheap. I need to save for a kantele though.

That sounds so rich and deep.
    Its not a backwards guitar.

11. The following members say thank you to Freddyfingers for this post:

ondrej 

If I could only find a low-tension single string that would work for a low C, I'd definitely try it... I love the G, D and A combination I'm using now on the octave version (Thomastik flatwound G, plain fluorocarbon D and I think a nylon A, but am not 100% sure), the tension is very soft, delightful sounding and playing and very well-matched, and I don't think the neck is in any danger... but where to find a suitable C string? - that is the question!

Just what I needed, something new to obsess over.

bratsche

I am tempted as well. Baritone ukuleles can be had for fairly cheap. I need to save for a kantele though.
    I'm glad if I enthused you for the Ukecello. I'll be glad if someone else tries this tuning.
    My books - books
    My videos -YouTube
    Duo UF UF - YouTube

Certainly a serious contender for adding another sound to one's repertoire.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

14. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

ondrej 

Quote Originally Posted by ondrej View Post
    I'm glad if I enthused you for the Ukecello. I'll be glad if someone else tries this tuning.
    I would love to eventually play the mandocello. An expensive ambition. I searched for a cheaper alternative that I could learn on and considered the ukulele but I was put off by the tension on the neck issue. No one was encouraging. You have brought my mandocello dream back to life. The Córdoba 20BM looks like a good gateway instrument.
    I have a Ohana Vita uke tuned as mandolin and I love it!
    Thank you very much.

I've started keeping an eye on eBay for decent used baritone ukes for cheap. I share a last name with perhaps the most famous of baritone ukelele players, Arthur Godfrey, so I suppose one should belong in my collection anyway.

17. The following members say thank you to Seter for this post:

ondrej 

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy-a View Post
    I would love to eventually play the mandocello. An expensive ambition. I searched for a cheaper alternative that I could learn on and considered the ukulele but I was put off by the tension on the neck issue. No one was encouraging. You have brought my mandocello dream back to life. The Córdoba 20BM looks like a good gateway instrument.
    I have a Ohana Vita uke tuned as mandolin and I love it!
    Thank you very much.
    I also wanted mandocello, but it's too expensive. So I searched and found a Ukecello
    My books - books
    My videos -YouTube
    Duo UF UF - YouTube

I also wanted mandocello, but it's too expensive. So I searched and found a Ukecello
    What make and model of baritone ukulele are you using?

What make and model of baritone ukulele are you using?
    I use ukulele "Stamart". Plywood ukulele. Probably similar to ukulele from manufacturer HoRa.
    Ten years ago it was only possible to buy a baritone ukulele in Czech Republic.
    My books - books
    My videos -YouTube
    Duo UF UF - YouTube

I use ukulele "Stamart". Plywood ukulele. Probably similar to ukulele from manufacturer HoRa.
    Ten years ago it was only possible to buy a baritone ukulele in Czech Republic.
    I have a Hora bouzouki, it's a great instrument for the price. I got a great deal on an Oscar Schmidt OU53 with a solid spruce top, it should be here next week. Also ordered the Pyramid 7 string set from JustStrings so I'll be joining you on your ukecello adventure shortly. I'll probably also try it out with GDAE octave mandolin tuning which looks to be a fairly common practice here based on the number of threads on baritone uke to octave mandolin. I noticed Kala just released an 8 string baritone uke, that might be a prime candidate for some interesting conversions.

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

There are a few choices for GDAE on a 20" scale uke .50 w .36W .24W .29p or 50 36 40p 29p both work very well.

On my GDAE baritone, I was bothered by noise from wound strings, even Thomastik flatwound classical guitar ones, which I initially used for the G and D. The G wasn't as bad as the D, and since there's nothing non-wound that will tune that low, I just resigned myself to it being the best I could do, as it's better than getting a round-wound G. But the D was a definite problem for me, and the noise was objectionable coming from both hands, as I'm playing with my fingers. I'd hear an audible 'whoosh" from plucking with anything but my thumb, not to mention shifting positions with my left hand. For some reason, it's much more noticeable than the Thomastik steel flatwounds I use and love on my mandolas. So I finally replaced the wound D on my baritone with some Seaguar Premier 130 lb test fishing leader. This is my best stringing solution I've found.

Even though I'm intrigued by and love the sound in Ondrej's videos, I'm a little hesitant to get another baritone to try as a "Ukecello" the more I think about it, because I'd have to have two wound strings again. There's no way around that....

bratsche

I was fortunate enough to actually acquire an Arthur Godfrey Vega Standard Baritone, it's a decent old all-mahogany instrument but has friction rather than geared tuners. Do y'all think I should string the Oscar Schmidt solid spruce top as Ondrej's ukecello experiment and the Godfrey uke in GDAE octave mandolin tuning, or vice versa? I feel like I'll get more use out of the octave mandolin tuned one so I'm leaning towards using the Oscar Schmidt for that and the Godfrey for ukecello since that will be more of a memento.

I think I'd try both. both ways and see which you like. Friction tuners ate a pain, but l just about live with ones on my banjo.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

What is the scale on the Godfrey Vega? Older ones tend to be shorter, so if it's 19-19.5", I'd use it as the GDAE. If that's the case and your modern Oscar Schmidt is likely a hair over 20", I think the longer scale would make a better Ukecello. As far as the tuners go, you can get modern friction tuners to replace the old that may work better. I think Grover makes them.

bratsche

What is the scale on the Godfrey Vega? Older ones tend to be shorter, so if it's 19-19.5", I'd use it as the GDAE. If that's the case and your modern Oscar Schmidt is likely a hair over 20", I think the longer scale would make a better Ukecello. As far as the tuners go, you can get modern friction tuners to replace the old that may work better. I think Grover makes them.

bratsche
    The Godfrey Vega came today, it is 19" like you guessed. It's in good playable condition and the tuners are serviceable so I'll keep them on. It does look like solid mahogany and sounds nice. It's definitely smaller than the Oscar Schmidt. I'm going to pick up some strings tonight to experiment with.

The Oscar Schmidt OU53 (not to be confused with the laminated OU52) is a very nice instrument considering what I paid, very playable, nice fit and finish, Grover tuners, etc. It has a 20.5" scale. I guess I'll try it with mandocello/ukecello tuning first. If that fails, I might tune the Godfrey like a mandola and the Oscar Schmidt like an octave mandolin which might be more within the capabilities of the instruments.

Here is a picture of my two new friends

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baritoneukes.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	159517

Cool, congrats! Is that the one that was on eBay that ended last Tuesday? If so, it arrived fast. I keep eyeing those old ones, maybe some day I'll succumb to temptation and bite...

bratsche