Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinky.

Default Pinky.

At what point in your picking do you actually use your little pinky.
    I use my second finger up to the 6th fret, what about you?
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pinky.

Since working on FFcP and similar things I am using it almost all the time. Not as much, obviously, as the first three, but its to the point that I would miss it if it were to be damaged.

I should add, I almost never use it in chords or double stops.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

What JeffD said... but i do use it in chords... rarely in doublestops

Quote Originally Posted by G7MOF View Post
    At what point in your picking do you actually use your little pinky.
    I use my second finger up to the 6th fret, what about you?
    Not sure how you're numbering your fingers, but the "second finger" corresponds to the middle finger for most of us -- and the first finger is the index, not the pinky! Not sure you can reach the 6th fret with the middle finger, unless your hands are ginormous.

Most mandolinists make ample use of their pinkies, but there are some exceptions, like Adam Steffey, who -- like you -- avoids using it.

Anytime I play a B on the E string. Or a C. and occasionally when I meander over to the next string over ...
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

I use mine all the time. Unlike most of you with normal or large hands, I have a difficult time reaching the 6th fret with my ring finger. I actually have to move my hand out of "base position" to play by the normal rules during normal fretting. So I use my pinky at both 6th and 7th frets when playing melodies, unless I'm sliding from 5th fret to 7th, in which case I use my ring finger. And of course I use the pinky for chop chords, as well as some other chord shapes like partial barre chords (4457 for Bm springs to mind).

Using the second finger (middle finger) at the 6th fret is just crazy talk!
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

7. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

Blog Entries

Many years ago I had major pains in my index finger. At the time I was seriously looking at not being able to use it. I started learning my tunes using the other fingers, and of course the pinky.

Long story short, the condition was resolved, no more pain, but my foray into handicap compensation really strengthened my pinky usage. To the point that I would recommend it the technique.

Tape a popsicle stick to your index finger, as if you needed a splint. And just try and play all your tunes. Its a great exercise.

The entire staff
    funny....

I shook hands with Steffy once. Huge hands. Couldn't play baseball. Where would he find a glove that fit? With that reach (that talent) why bother with the pinky? Merely human in reach and talent, I use mine more today than yesterday.
    Mike Snyder

Since I play mostly "fiddle tunes," I use it all the time for that B note on the E strings. I have to practice and remind myself to hit that note as strong and clear as the other notes in a tune, because it's easy for me to get lazy about it. On the OM, I do have to use a quick hand shift due to the longer scale, but it's still the pinky on that note.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Since working on FFcP and similar things I am using it almost all the time. Not as much, obviously, as the first three, but its to the point that I would miss it if it were to be damaged.

I should add, I almost never use it in chords or double stops.
    Jeff, how to you play an A barre chord? So this would be 2245. I play it with my index finger to barre the G and D strings at the second fret, and then use my ring and pinky fingers to play the 4th and 5th frets on the A and E strings.

I recently had a debate with a buddy of mine about the "correct" way to play that chord. He says the middle and ring fingers should be used to play the 4th and 5th frets, but that doesn't really work for me and I've noticed most players use their pinky for that shape.

I always use my pinky for the 7th fret if I'm playing in first position unless I want to slide into that note with my ring finger.

I follow the rule that the index finger is responsible for frets 1/2, middle for 3/4, ring for 5/6, and pinky for 7 when playing in first (or "home") position. I would break this rule to follow the rule below if I was playing in a key where it worked out that way (can't think of an example without my mandolin). I would also break this rule if it's easier to shift up into a different position (like the B part of Billy in the Lowground or Big Sciota).

When playing closed position scales, I follow the rule of one finger per note on a string. So the pinky would play the 4th and 8th note in a closed position scale where you start the scale from your index finger.

I use my pinky all the time for chords (G chop chord and both the 3 and 4 string versions of the barre chord I mentioned in my previous post). For example, I really like the version of D and E chords played 245x and 467x respectively (dont' have my mandolin but I think those are right). I play the two higher strings with my ring and pinky fingers for those chords, but by friend plays them with his middle and ring finger. I don't know which is right, but my way is much easier for me, which is why I like those chords. It gives my hand a break from the other chord positions.

It depends on what song I'm playing. Sometimes I slide and sometimes I pinky.

For many years I used my pinky chording and picking but last Oct. I fell down my garage steps and broke my left hand so now I can`t make the four finger chords or reach out with the pinky so I have learned to play without using it, it took a while to get used to not using it but "The show must go on" so I worked on it until I got along without using it...

Willie

For 15 years of mandolin playing, I barely used my pinky to fret notes. When I was converting our 1 car garage into a rec room, I sliced my 1st finger to the bone and couldn't use it for about 2 months while it healed. I learned to play using my pinky over those 2 months and now I have a hard time not using it. Also I've been using it for octave mandolin and mandocello. Can't really get around without it on those.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo75 View Post
    Jeff, how to you play an A barre chord? So this would be 2245. I play it with my index finger to barre the G and D strings at the second fret, and then use my ring and pinky fingers to play the 4th and 5th frets on the A and E strings.

I recently had a debate with a buddy of mine about the "correct" way to play that chord. He says the middle and ring fingers should be used to play the 4th and 5th frets, but that doesn't really work for me and I've noticed most players use their pinky for that shape.
    That 2245 A chord is a pretty one. I don't use it much though.

I like the X745. Leave with index and middle finger on 4 and 5, ring on 7 on the D string. Its a three finger chord so you can't sound the G strings, but it is quick to get into and out of when bluegrassing in the key of D for example.

If I need the bottom end Ill do a 6200 with the third and first finger, and if I hit the open strings its ok, or I can mute them sort of quick to simulate a chop.

But yea, if I did an A barre 2245 I would use the pinky. Better than middle and ring finger for 4 & 5 I think. Stronger.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Pinky use falls into a category I just blogged about. Instead of looking at it as one of those darn things you gotta learn - think of it as a way to make mandolinning more funner. Seriously more funner.

Nobody who has gained some facility with the pinky ever says, wow what a waste of time, I would rather be back there before I knew how to do this.

The entire staff
    funny....

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

When I play the fourth tone and octave tone in closed positions or when I am extending chords. Occasionally in double stops too.
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

You gotta whip that little whimp into shape and use it lots! I recommend lots of hammer on rip offs to develop the coordination and strength. It's a great finger, I can't count to five without it!
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Interesting, this notion about "base position" or "home position". Playing an OM, I move my hand around all the time anyway, so home is where my hand is. I use my pinky for the high B on rare occasions, but it's of under average size, compared to the other fingers, and I never made the jump into training it. It has no callus at all, too.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

I use mine all the time - if i need to. I very often alternate between using my 3rd finger & my 'pinky' & do it without any concious thought. When i can,i tend to prefer using my 3rd finger,simply because it's a stronger finger,but using my pinky's no problem,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I use my pinky as often as I can. It took me decades to have it be as use full and nimble as it's neighbors so I try to keep it engaged. I encourage everyone to use this little, sometimes forgotten digit, and keep it from getting smaller than it already is...

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

I've always used my pinky on guitar soloing, just so I don't have to work too hard. Now that I'm learning mando, it seems just as important on mando.

So imagine my murderous and suicidal impulses when I saw a close-up video of Eric Clapton soloing - and not using his pinky at all.

Arghhh!

Quote Originally Posted by Frankdolin View Post
    I use my pinky as often as I can. It took me decades to have it be as use full and nimble as it's neighbors so I try to keep it engaged. . . .
    It's never been a challenge for me, but I'm left handed. It's right-hand technique that confounds me. One appeal of the mando: no Travis picking!

===========

Quote Originally Posted by jshane View Post
    What JeffD said... but i do use it in chords... rarely in doublestops
    +1 on this.

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    Since I play mostly "fiddle tunes," I use it all the time for that B note on the E strings. I have to practice and remind myself to hit that note as strong and clear as the other notes in a tune, because it's easy for me to get lazy about it. . . . .
    Oh, man! My biggest fingering challenge is hitting the E strings' first fret with my forefinger. OW!!! Loud, clear pinky shots are never an issue.

Another textbook case of different strokes for different folks!